March 27, 2014

Shooting on NYC Streets & Braving the Cold with MōVI & RED EPIC for Pillar Point's 'Dreamin'

Shooting in the freezing cold is never an easy task, especially when your gear wants to stop working at all the wrong moments. The team over at Wild Combination braved the elements -- including New York City streets -- armed with a MōVI and RED EPIC, to shoot the new music video for the Pillar Points song "Dreamin'." Check out the video below, and read about their experience making the project.

Here is some rehearsal footage they shot:

Check out some pictures of their rig, one of which was put together specifically to get the feeling of a jib or crane:

And a little bit about the video and the challenges they faced:

I'd chosen Dai's coat to stand out amongst the black uniform of metro New York. Just about everyone emerging from Penn Station came dressed as I'd dreamed, in all monochrome, and Dai's coat stands out better than we could've possibly hoped.

The following day, we went upstate to film in a forest I'd scouted in previous months, and chosen for its trees, streams, and frozen waterfall. When we arrived, we were met with an unforeseen problem: way, way too much snow. It was 2 degrees. Rivers were frozen and covered in several feet of powder. Dancing -- much less running around with a camera rig the price of a Porsche -- suddenly seemed an absurd proposition. I cooked dinner for the crew and we talked about how we'd handle the morning.

We got up at dawn, calibrated our equipment, and set off for a day of improvisation in parts of the forest that might be accessible. We knew we'd be jumping out of the car, hiking into the woods, and filming for as long as possible until Dai, or the camera, froze beyond cooperation. Coming up with ideas on the fly is nerve-racking -- especially when several people are on board -- because there's a lot on the line. But if you have a good, small team all in sync, it's the most exciting way to work. Joe, Søren, Bekka, Dai, and Sam were all on board without hesitation, which made it possible to make quick decisions and try new moves in un-scouted locations, and know that we'd make it work.

To read more about the experience the team had making the video, check out the two behind the scenes blog posts below.

Links:

[via The Verge & Booooooom]

yep, thats sooooo sick!!!

March 27, 2014 at 1:33AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Lloyd

Love how much he stands out in the city scenes with just a red jacket, sweet work!

March 27, 2014 at 1:42AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Sky

Anyone know which lenses they used on this? In the BTS it looked like they were EF, but not sure...

March 27, 2014 at 3:36AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Samu Amunét

duclos modded nikkors

March 27, 2014 at 9:57AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

eric

Really and beautiful cool video! Also, the MOVI really shows it's use in this! Perfect for Guerrilla shit :)

WANT!

March 27, 2014 at 4:12AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Ha! I meant "really cool and beautiful video" :P

March 27, 2014 at 4:12AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

And use of strings and cables. Speaking of which, I just came across this documentary on the making of "Soy Cuba" (1964), a legendary B&W film by Mikhail Kalatozov. NFS has posted several clips from the film in the past but this seems to be something recent. The famed funeral continuous shot is about 3:20 in.
[ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFIxLesq7IU ]
In Portuguese with English subtitles.

March 27, 2014 at 4:35AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

DLD

The continuous shot is a classic. They're remastering it for a 4k print to be shown in Imax.

March 27, 2014 at 6:28AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Gene

Thanks for posting this link!

March 28, 2014 at 7:09AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Trza

Good work!

March 27, 2014 at 7:06AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Joachim

Second 0:44. if that had been me, I would had got shot on the face. But seriously, I really want to know how the police reacted towards it. It happens that I have pretty bad luck with them, (and pretty much everyone I know).

Regardless of that, Slow mo Omiya was simply fantastic. Now i want him dancing on the back ground of all of my movies. I meant, all of my movies.

March 27, 2014 at 11:44AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

edgar

Ok some one has to explain to me how the color is bad, looks great to me

March 27, 2014 at 11:54AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

ryan

The dancing in the rehearsal footage is better than in the actual video. I wonder if it's some combination of cold weather and bulky clothing that makes his movements look less precise and fluid.

March 27, 2014 at 1:51PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

I think that having music to dance to is a big factor...

March 27, 2014 at 8:58PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Einar

I think slowmo is a factor.

March 27, 2014 at 10:19PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

FabDex

Greatissimo...truly great cinematography and color grading...some of the best stuff I saw shot on red epic...congrats to all the crew

March 28, 2014 at 1:14PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

I am five minutes into it and love it more than the entire "after earth" movie I wasted $15 on.

Going to watch this on the big screen and buy some merchandise from them to support their art.

Bravo!

March 29, 2014 at 11:41PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Greg P.

Oops I thinkni watched the wrong clip. My bad. This one is cool also.

March 29, 2014 at 11:44PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM