March 21, 2014

Meet the Scorpion Light, the Revolutionary LED that You Can Mount Literally Anywhere

Scorpion LightAt this point, there should be little doubt that LED's are going to play a crucial role in the future of film and video production, especially considering their benefits over traditional lighting technologies. It should also come as no surprise that we now have the ability to light with smaller fixtures as our cameras become more and more sensitive. It follows that small LED fixtures will be an essential tool for discerning cinematographers as time rolls on. A new company called Blind Spot Gear is taking this concept to a whole new level with the Scorpion Light, a tiny, high-intensity/high-CRI LED that can be easily modified and mounted anywhere (and I mean anywhere). Read on to see what all of the fuss is about.

First, let's take a look at the Kickstarter video for the Scorpion Light:

Here's a rundown of some of the Scorpion Light features, which should give you a pretty good idea of just how versatile these little lights are:

In most cases, the Scorpion Light most likely wouldn't replace a traditional light kit unless you're really in a pinch, especially considering that they provide a very hard light because of their size, even when diffused. However, where these lights will really shine is in adding accent light into places that would be impossible with larger lights. Not only can the Scorpion Lights be mounted anywhere with the included Super Clamps and suction mounts (which will be fantastic for lighting the interior of cars), but the included dimmers, barn doors, gels, and goosenecks will make it easy to add a versatile, modifiable light to any conceivable shooting scenario.

With that said, these lights can also be used as your primary lighting solution. Here's how you could use Scorpion Lights to light an interview.

And here's how you can utilize this tiny light in one of the most difficult places to get filmmaking gear, a cave:

Of course, there are myriad small, battery-powered LED's on the market these days, so many that it can be overwhelming at times. However, there are a few key features that set the Scorpion Light well ahead of its competitors. First and foremost is the single, high quality, high output diode that the Blind Spot team sourced specifically for the Scorpion Light. However, the most exciting feature of these lights is just how versatile they are. Aside from the gooseneck, which can be configured any which way, the magnetic barn doors, in-line dimmers, and custom cut gels make the Scorpion the single most versatile LED of this size. Add to that the fact that there are numerous ways that you can mount and power these lights, and it's pretty easy to see how they could become a staple of any shooter's lighting setup.

The Scorpion Light is currently on Kickstarter (where it has already exceeded its goal), and you can still get in on the early-bird deals for a set of 4 of these lights (which will cost around $950). The campaign will wrap up during this year's NAB, so if you happen to be in Vegas this spring, stop by and say hello to the fellas from Blind Spot as they show off the prototypes of the Scorpion Light.

What do you guys think of this nifty little lighting solution? Let's hear your thoughts down in the comments!

Links:

Cool features and I love the portability but a grand?! I mean, in all honest this effect can be achieved with a few cheap battery powered lamps and some trusty gaff tape or a cardellini.

March 21, 2014 at 7:14PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Stephen

then go with that.

March 21, 2014 at 7:21PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Hampus

Yeah, I don't understand the pricing, seems very high for something like this, but if the kickstarter worked I guess there is a need.

I've really enjoyed using this because it works with any light and it's super cheap and pretty much the same thing, except you can lock it down so there's no movement. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/325444-REG/Manfrotto_244N_244N_Var...

March 21, 2014 at 7:30PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Julian

It's typical film industry pricing. C'est la vie.

March 22, 2014 at 1:39AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Dan Findlay

My error – it's $950 USD for four lights – in this case, not a bad deal. Apologies.

March 22, 2014 at 1:42AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Dan Findlay

...Pass

March 21, 2014 at 7:17PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

The Todd

Is this a joke?....seriously

March 21, 2014 at 7:18PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Alex

Actually, only the tungsten version is high cri. For the daylight model, the most likely to be used, cri is unlisted. I assume it is well below 90 or they would list it. Not that bright either, but nice portable little light though. I'll be at NAB so I will definitely check them out.

March 21, 2014 at 7:25PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Jonesy

Might be great for low light / near no light situations in combination with a low light sensor. But in combination with any lights other than these, they will have little to no effect, especially natural sunlight.

Made me pause for a second and consider, but for $750? Really guys?

March 21, 2014 at 9:32PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Nate

Sorry to say I am underwhelmed.

March 21, 2014 at 10:03PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Colin

The term "revolutionary" is so loosely used nowadays.

March 21, 2014 at 10:04PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

maghoxfr

Higher cri leds coming on the scene. Anyone try these 95+ CRI supposedly ?http://www.ebay.com/itm/Aputure-Amaran-AL-H160-CRI95-Amaran-160-LED-Video-Light-On-Camera-LED-Light/331136057994?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222003%26algo%3DSIC.FIT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D21143%26meid%3D5654745033046657699%26pid%3D100005%26prg%3D9373%26rk%3D4%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D121283823883&rt=nc

March 21, 2014 at 10:28PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Ron

I think it's a clever idea. I'll definitely be stopping by to see it in person at NAB.

It's not the technology itself that you're paying for here. Sure, you can gaff up some quickie LED's from Amazon or something to a noga arm and have basically the same thing. But you have to build it. You have to power it. You have to figure out how to control it. Heaven knows you don't have barn doors on it.

What $950 buys you here is convenience. It's a Pelican case with a custom foam insert, for crying out loud. It doesn't get simpler than that. Pop one out, clamp it on, and bob's your uncle (I really wanted to hear Billy say that). Squeeze it down. Flag it off. Soften it up. Each task takes maybe ten seconds tops. Do that with your cheap battery powered lamps. It's not that those don't work...it just takes longer, isn't as clean, and certainly isn't as userfriendly. When I say, "key grip, let's put a little slice of something right here on this side table, and it needs to come from over the talent's head right here by the doorway," he doesn't have to hunt round the truck for five minutes to come up with a solution, and then another ten minutes making it safe and tidy. He says, "right, a little slice of something right here," goes and gets a Scorpion light, clamps it on the doorframe and off we go.

Solutions like this are what make magic happen. I say, props to Billy and his team for coming up with a clever idea to solve an annoying problem.

March 21, 2014 at 10:33PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

I bought a set of 4 bright led lights with stands and soft boxes for $150. Four tiny (understandably portable) lights with little power and they want $950? Wow.

March 21, 2014 at 10:35PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Tiedtke

I always carry a few of those hardware store clamp on lights and use em all the time accenting background features and such. Those are only $14.99 plus a bulb though... I think I'd rather spend the $1000 on a bigger key light that's more versatile.

March 21, 2014 at 10:37PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Clayton

Hey everyone,
thanks for all the Kickstarter support so far! Super excited to have exceeded our goal and can’t wait to get into production, also looking forward to using any extra funds to begin development on some other exciting products.

To address some of the comments made so far…

Dear Alex, no this is not a joke, seriously! It’s a quality little light set that we feel serves a purpose and fills a gap in the market. If you get a chance to come and visit us at NAB we would love the chance to impress you with what these lamps can do.

Regarding the price, we feel it’s reasonable considering how much gear we cram into the kit, this level of quality doesn’t come cheap and we hope you can appreciate this. There are approximately 160ish parts in each kit, every one carefully selected, engineered, developed, optimised and crafted to help you light effectively often in places where it was damn hard to do before.

Ok, I think it’s time for my ramblings to come to a close, its way past bed time back here in Glasgow. Thanks again folks.

P.S. If you are heading to NAB this year look out for 3 sharp looking gents in kilts (or 3 douche bags in man skirts as many of the natives may see us!) We will be on the cheapest, smallest stand at the show or more likely at the British pavilion bar nearby.

Good luck on your quest to find Booth: N3724

March 21, 2014 at 10:55PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

You can buy an Ikea clip-on led for $14.99 or with a stand for $9.99. 5 different colors including black, no barn door. http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/80169636/
Same adjustable arm, with a couple of magnets you can attach gels. I already have a few in my kit.

March 21, 2014 at 11:42PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Hari Har

Hey guys I’m making my first short documentary and trying to figure out what to pay for a quality editor without getting jipped. I’m shooting on a Canon C300 to get a cinematic look and feel. The film itself will only be about 7 to 8 minutes in length. What’s reasonable?

March 22, 2014 at 2:16AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Devin

I'm on my way to the grocery store, what do you think, paper or plastic?

March 22, 2014 at 12:23PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

mariano

Plastic fo sho

March 22, 2014 at 7:23PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Rick

bring your own!

March 23, 2014 at 2:14AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

david

I like the gooseneck part ... BUT, these days, one can buy a 100W LED Fresnel and thee separate 500 light LED panels with stands and batteries for around $1,000 on eBay. Spread these around smartly and you can have a living room/basement size set pretty well lit.
Tom Antos reviews several different panels - [ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DL4c21kAUk ]
I wish he spread the lights as far as he could with the ISO jacked up to around 3200 just to see how much space a couple of panels could cover.

March 22, 2014 at 2:19AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

DLD

Price needs to be closer to $300 to be realistic. Otherwise when the Chinese replicate it (and they will if there is a market) everyone will go for the cheaper option.

I'm sure I've seen very cheap super bright LEDs on similar bendy arms before. Might have been in a automotive parts store for working under cars.

March 22, 2014 at 4:24AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Or another option for these designers is to make these lights in China/Malaysia and so on themselves. Where are the Red camera made?

March 22, 2014 at 10:54AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

DLD

I dont know. I would assume made overseas and assembled in the U.S. like Harley Davidson which as much as they would like the world to believe they are MADE IN THE USA they are only about 46% U.S. but assembled in the U.S.

March 23, 2014 at 7:26PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

I am a film student and this is exactly the sort of thing for which I am looking. I do not doubt that the need for another luminaire or two will arise; however, when one compares this package other innovative products from very recognizable names, this is a no-brainer. I am on a limited budget, but God willing WILL contribute to this endeavor.

Question: How will they read on a Panasonic HMC 40?

March 22, 2014 at 7:15AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

chdds

"...to other innovative products..."

March 22, 2014 at 7:27AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

chdds

I would buy one for all those times you need a tiny light on a goose neck. Four at once? Never gonna happen. But that's me and Kickstarter doesn't lie, so different folks, different needs.

March 22, 2014 at 11:32AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

SpartaBear

"...you dream of havin' a quality light..." - These guys should dream of havin' some decent audio in their pitch video.

March 22, 2014 at 12:29PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

ronn

These look REALLY green. CRI isn't everything, and a CRI of 90 isn't even that good. I think these could be good in a pinch or in tight spaces, but we need better color.

March 22, 2014 at 2:27PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

I also saw this as very green. The company stated that this stuff was shot with daylight balanced units when I questioned what was the CRI, they sent back that it was 75. That is really low and not at all daylight balanced.

March 22, 2014 at 9:19PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Lightstrum

Buy this for $25 and fashion your own barn doors
:http://www.amazon.com/Fulcrum-20019-301-Battery-Operated-Clip-On-Light/d...

March 22, 2014 at 11:18PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Mitch

Too expensive for those little lights....if it came with 10 lights it'll still be too expensive....smh

March 23, 2014 at 8:01AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Kendrick

Whats up with all these haters???? GO FOR IT BOYS.............. and do some acting classes. LOL

Good luck
I will surly use them.

March 27, 2014 at 11:34PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

MAGIKINDIAN

A little under impressive, I can't think of a single shot in their video that made me say wow good lighting :( Glad their kickstarter did so well, maybe it was the accents and kilts :)

March 28, 2014 at 7:48PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Definitely too expensive...

March 29, 2014 at 5:34AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Fabio

Here's a video of Billy Campbell of Blind Spot Gear going over the Scorpion Light at NAB 2014

April 19, 2014 at 6:54AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM