April 28, 2014

This Awesome 10-Minute Video Swedes 70 Iconic Films! Wait. What's Sweded Cinema Again?

When it comes to comedic retellings, there are several varieties out there that are funny for different reasons -- satire, parodies, spoofs, what have you. However, a relatively new approach to humorous recreations, sweding, a term coined in Michel Gondry's 2008  film Be Kind Rewind, takes popular films and mimics them using limited tools and resources. To help you get acquainted with sweded cinema, ShortCuts, a team of German filmmakers, take aim at not 1, not 2, but 70 iconic films and give each a hilarious Swedish treatment.

First of all, in case you don't remember this awesome gem of a movie and want to get a better idea of what sweding is, check out the trailer to Be Kind Rewind:

And, for a little swede-ception, here is a sweded trailer of Be Kind Rewind:

You can even learn how to properly swede a movie from Be Kind Rewind filmmakers Jack Black and Michel Gondry in the video below:

Though the term "sweding" was coined in 2008, producing low-budget versions of famous films is nothing new. According to Know Your Meme:

A fan adaptation of the 1981 action-adventure film Raiders of the Lost Ark premiered at the Alamo Drafthouse cinema on May 31st, 2003. The shot-by-shot remake of the film, which took 7 years to shoot, was produced by Chris Strompolos, Eric Zala and Jason Lab.

Chances are, many of us have made a sweded movie without even knowing it. Every time we filmed a scene from our favorite movie when we were kids playing around with our parents' VHS camcorder -- we were sweding! This practice became a mini-movement back in 2008 when the filmmakers of Be Kind Rewind promoted the production of sweded movies -- they uploaded several short sweded films to their YouTube channel. You can actually learn all about the history of sweded cinema on Know Your Meme, which shares links to a few great sites that curate sweded movies (sadly, a lot of the links no longer work).

This German filmmaking team takes sweded cinema to another level -- perhaps one that wouldn't fit into the original criteria of the movement. Sweded films are supposed to mimic popular scenes from popular films, but the key to the way filmmakers are to approach that is to keep it amateurish. The video below looks -- fantastic! It's incredibly well-done, and you can tell that the team used some (at least) semi-pro tools. However, their approach to special effects is hilariously low-tech, and is absolutely reflective of the spirit of sweded cinema. In any case, the sweded film below celebrates so many great films, including The ShiningBlack Swan, The Thing, The Godfather, and Inception (a bearded German guy in a black wig to imitate Marion Cotillard is probably the greatest thing in history), so go on. Check it out below!

What do you think of this 70-flick sweded video? Have you ever sweded a film? Let us know in the comments below!

Link: Sweded Film -- Know Your Meme

[via ShortCutsFilm School Rejects]

this is stupid

April 28, 2014 at 5:52PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

I agree, stupid.

April 28, 2014 at 5:56PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

tobias

I'm not sure if it is stupid. I think it is meant to be funny, but I am really not sure to be honest. Maybe it is meant to be funny. Sometimes things just don't work out.

Or it could be stupid. I don't know really.

April 29, 2014 at 4:53AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Gordon

It's not stupid, it's German. We call this humour ... sadly.

April 29, 2014 at 6:31PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

I think we're talking about the fact that this was even blogged about

April 29, 2014 at 7:24PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

A

Yeah, this was still funnier than most German comedy productions (film and/or tv). Sadly...

May 2, 2014 at 12:01AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Heiko

Well, it's supposed to be a Hyundai commercial. Or at least it is sponsored by Hyundai and is the opener for a commercial campaign.

It was well done, technically, with a really high production value, but the content was meh. I watched about 45 seconds of it.
Maybe it's funnier for film freaks who know every line of every film they ever watched? Or maybe not.

May 1, 2014 at 11:59PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Heiko

I concur: stupido

April 28, 2014 at 6:02PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Jester

I don't care so much about the swede or the trailer, but the lighting and camera work was really well done. Great technique they have.

They are from Offenbach, Germany it seems, just around the corner from me in Frankfurt. Perhaps we meet.

April 28, 2014 at 6:12PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Jacques Rall

Wow, Nilz Bokelberg is still on TV? I agree, this is stupid and actually somewhat embarrassing to watch.

April 28, 2014 at 6:42PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Heike Makatsch

For more sweded films I recommend checking out swedefest.com

April 28, 2014 at 7:26PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

I think it's amusing.

April 28, 2014 at 9:05PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Coty

Very well done.

April 29, 2014 at 9:31AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Jeff

I love Be Kind and Rewind, but I'd put what these guys did in a different category. While Be Kind and Rewind is all about retelling a story with in camera effects and home-made-ness (if you will), these guys are doing as many movie quotes and quick references as possible with a lots of post production. While it looks good, it didn't strike me as clever because I was unable to follow any over-arching story and it is easy to reference movies.

April 29, 2014 at 10:57AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

ChristopherG

I wanted to be nice to this video considering all the hate it's getting... couldn't watch more than a minute of it though. So lame.

April 29, 2014 at 6:06PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM