May 1, 2014

WALLEY POS-86: 'The Most Advanced Camera Ever Built'

Every once in a while a new camera is announced that simply blows away everything else on the market, whether that's in terms of specs, price, or a combination of both. We live in a time of extremely fast-paced development, so these announcements have come much faster than they might have even 5 years ago. It seems like every other day something new is coming to the market, and today is another one of those days. Check out the first introduction video for the WALLEY POS-86, the "most advanced camera ever built," below.

Thanks to Michael and Amjad for sending this over:

If you'd like to ruin the surprise and read the description of the video, here it is:

A short promo video that parodies the endless production and marketing of prosumer video cameras. Filmmakers Mark and Angela Walley have created a camera that is both a reverse trend in consumer electronics and “the most advanced camera ever built.”

“WALLEY POS-86 Promo Video” was produced as part of the art exhibition “Creation to Consumption” curated by Hills Snyder for the artist-run exhibition space, Sala Diaz. Special thanks to Mark Menjivar, Sara Frantz, and John Totman. Music by Mark Walley.

The most advanced part of the camera is certainly the floppy disk recording media (which was apparently stolen at the exhibition). With all of the gear we've been introducing lately (with still more to come), it seemed like a nice time to reflect on how products are marketed and sold to us. Part of the reason I wanted to share it is how nicely it was shot. Mark and Angela used a Canon C100 with Nikon 50mm and Sigma 24mm lenses, and graded it with the VisionColor M31 Cinema LUT. For the talking head part of the video, they used a 5 foot umbrella with a Linco Flora Light, and a second Flora Light on the ground up towards the backdrop.

They don't just make parody videos (obviously). Here are just a few of the many videos they've created:

Check out more of their work over on their Vimeo page and their website.

Links:

Best. Troll. Ever.

May 1, 2014 at 2:08PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Andrew

Better than URSA

May 1, 2014 at 2:26PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

k

This has probably got a far greater chance of actually working properly! They might want to change the name though - BMD have a trademark on the use of the term POS (piece of s**t) :D

May 1, 2014 at 5:51PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Really? YOu have one? I have one and it makes beautiful images. Of course, it is the indian and not the arrow in most cases...

May 2, 2014 at 12:59AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Chris H

I had a BMCC EF with the 'rolling noise' problem, then eight ( yes, eight!!!) BMPCC's all with the hot/stuck pixel issue. There were literally HUNDREDS of hot/stuck pixels in the footage from each and every camera. Some of this was even shot in clear daylight at 400asa.

In the end, I gave up. These cameras (and BMD) just can't be trusted.

May 2, 2014 at 9:14AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

8 huh. Must suck I bought 1 and it works just fine.

May 2, 2014 at 5:38PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

PayDro

Hilarious! We are getting a little out of control with our camera development. The cameras that we have access to now are unbelievable! Cannon, Red, Arri, Blackmagic, AJA... Let's use what we have to tell phenomenal stories and chill on chasing the next big thing... Great post!

May 1, 2014 at 2:28PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Absolutely. We've got enough cameras, now we just need people to stop bickering about which one is "better" and start actually shooting something.

May 1, 2014 at 2:32PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Coty

+100000000000

This should be the first comment on every single article this site does about cameras.

May 1, 2014 at 2:33PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

CoolHandLuque

I'm always a big fan of your posts @Coty - Couldn't agree more dude.

May 1, 2014 at 7:42PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Lloyd

You have good sense Coty. It's really sad how some of the comments on No Film School are just negative without
any rhyme or reason. Many people seem to think they're experts and talk down at others which I try not to do even if I know I'm right. I'm only 3 years into my study of this art and think I can make some informed opinions
but the more I learn the more ignorant I feel so tearing someone else apart just seems silly.

May 9, 2014 at 12:32AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Gary

Great parody...its easy to get caught up in the gear releases and tech and this video hits the marketing cliches on the head.

May 1, 2014 at 2:34PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

stephen

I've been predicting that floppy disks would make a major comeback for years now.

May 1, 2014 at 2:47PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Robert Hardy
Founder of Filmmaker Freedom

The vinyl of the computer world...

May 2, 2014 at 9:49AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Pat

i would hold off pre-ordering the Walley until they get the floppy disc array update completed.

May 3, 2014 at 9:52AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Bill Gilbride

POS?
Pile of ........ Sausages?

I was just wondering.

May 1, 2014 at 2:58PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Anonymous Coward

cool but not enough dynamic range.

May 1, 2014 at 3:03PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Bob

Yes, we love No Film School! Thanks so much for sharing our film :)

May 1, 2014 at 3:06PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Absolutely!

May 1, 2014 at 3:30PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Joe Marine
Camera Department

Typical - all the Walley POS fanboys have taken over the comments already, blindly defending a pro camera that most of us will never use. I'll wait until they release the version that runs off my truck battery ( on a shoulder strap ), before I even entertain using this camera.

May 1, 2014 at 3:28PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

ben

Hopefully it comes with advanced features like "Ships with broken firmware we won't fix until three years and 4 cameras later" and 4k capability at 7 stops of dynamic range.

May 1, 2014 at 3:35PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Chuck

Crackup!! :)

May 1, 2014 at 6:21PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Im not sure if it is funny or sad that the Walley is being thought of by two camps of thought. 1. The flurry of 4k cameras at nab 2014 or B. The unintentional connection to a certain "camera" maker that has some very happy users and more than some very irate owners who feel left out in the cold for the sake of their latest annual release of a brand new design while last years latest/greatest release is given the Walt Disney treatment*

*The Walt Disney treatment would involve freezing oneself before you die in hopes that when they figure out the meaning of life, they thaw your ass out, update your firmware and everything is rainbows and unicorns.

May 3, 2014 at 10:01AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Bill Gilbride

I can't remember who commented this, but it was awesome.
"Wait. So this camera is full frame, 4k, 24 bit, raw, complete with quality audio, reaches ISO 10 billion, has 18 stops of dynamic range, and is under 1000 dollars? Not buying it, no high frame rates."

May 1, 2014 at 3:48PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Paul

Yeah, we're more spoiled for choice than ever before and yet will nitpick a camera to death. Not to mention the number of users who can't seem to reconcile the idea that a particular camera that doesn't suit their personal workflow/shooting preferences/price range could possibly suit someone else.

May 1, 2014 at 4:18PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Coty

It really is a testament to the gear-obsessed prosumer industry vs. the actual pros that are too busy working to actually have time to post on blogs

May 1, 2014 at 3:57PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

john jeffries

Anybody remember Pixel Vision? The Fisher Price PXL2000 shot black and white video onto . . . wait for it . . . audiotape. Now there's a camera ahead of it's time.

May 1, 2014 at 4:28PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

JPS

Fisher Price Pixel Vision! Yes! We wanted to get one off ebay when we started making films in 2006.

May 1, 2014 at 8:15PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

I watched the other documentaries on Vimeo as well. A very nice quality. Approach, filming, interviews, music all seem to fit. It's a joy being impressed.

May 1, 2014 at 4:55PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Richard Lizier

Thank you!

May 1, 2014 at 8:16PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Is it OK if I just put my credit card password on the comment?

-_-... I-WANT-THAT!

May 1, 2014 at 6:18PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Edgar

Is this POS 5K?

May 1, 2014 at 7:34PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

ronn

This will record steady shots for sure,

May 1, 2014 at 10:08PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Especially if you leave it on the ground.

May 2, 2014 at 8:54AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

JPS

Brilliant!!

May 2, 2014 at 1:17AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Doco shot on Fisher Price Pixel Vision:

Hard to believes he format has any nostalgic value, unlike super 8.

May 2, 2014 at 4:16AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Dan

When do we get to see the Kickstarter for this? Take my money now!

May 2, 2014 at 4:20AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Maybe it's just me...but did anyone else think it looked a little noisy?

May 2, 2014 at 4:23AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Daniel Mimura

Floppy discs were actually used in some cameras! http://youtu.be/Q-nfqPrzf3Y

May 2, 2014 at 4:29AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Dan

Meh. The faux-Apple comedy thing has been done to death. Funny but it would have been better if they did a Kickstarter parody even though that's been getting old too.

May 2, 2014 at 4:42AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

JP

Actually, it is not "that" big when you think of a Canon DSLR + rig + Prores recorder + Audio unit + viewfinder etc.
and for the 4 focal lenses on a switch, that is a keeper.

May 2, 2014 at 5:28AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Tulio

How utterly depressingly pointless. I've seen more originality on display in a Bangkok street market.

May 2, 2014 at 5:36AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Keith

Come on - it's just a bit of fun...and anyway originality isn't a goal it's a by-product, if you've got originality weighing on your shoulders you're not going to get much done.

May 2, 2014 at 6:50AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

It will only depress you if you're overly fixated on camera gear.

May 2, 2014 at 8:57AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

JPS

Virtually nothing is truly original. All ideas are variations on something done in the past. This was funny IMO, no matter how many similar parodies like this have been done. I laughed at just seeing the guy or girl holding that thing!

May 2, 2014 at 11:10AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

I'd like two please, Just in case one goes wrong.

May 2, 2014 at 4:11PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Mark Morris

Is this camera compatible with my GoPro helmet mount?

May 2, 2014 at 4:17PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Jeff

Jeff. I don't know, but I'll help you try :)

May 6, 2014 at 1:53AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

D'ooohhh I got suckered in and actually called my team to my laptop to watch this "new camera" and we all couldn't believe everything from it's name to it's design (sorry, but here in Asia it's still a lot about how the camera looks ... we still have a hard time convincing customers that the Canon C500 is better than our old Panny 172EN because the panny LOOKS like a 'real' camera) ....

Anyway, funny video.

May 9, 2014 at 2:26AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Jakartaguy

I want one. Where and how much? Or is this just a tease or like so many others that promise it'll also do my dry cleaning? Cumon' mann!

May 10, 2014 at 10:35AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

I've got 2 BMCC 2.k cams in my work studio; getting the new MAC TOWERS to use my DAVINCI COLOR CORR. on; and only 3 CANON EF mount lenses. I'm having tons of fun...taking many test shots; trying diff. lighting schemes.

I will get the new BMCC 4 k camera for my start up compnay's studio in a few months and shoot an indie feature with it. Why? I can do a helluva lot with this camera and more in post.

More bang for my buck with this camera than a 60 grand RED and similar camera.

May 14, 2014 at 10:11AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM