June 24, 2014

DaVinci Resolve 11 Public Beta Now Available, Contains over 70 New Editing Features!

DaVinci Resolve 11 EditingIn the early days of NAB 2014, Blackmagic Design shared a few new products that made a major splash. However, even though some of these products generated some serious excitement, their biggest announcement by far was the fact that DaVinci Resolve, the legendary color correction software, was now also a fully fledged NLE with a host of new trimming and timeline tools. Although the official release date for the software is still several months out at this point, today Blackmagic released the public beta of version 11, which can now be downloaded from their website.

Here's a quick video overview of the new features in version 11:

Here's an overview of the new editing-specific features that were added to this release.

And here's what you can expect from the new version in terms of its color correction functionality.

I, for one, am absolutely floored by the new editing tools in Resolve 11. The new trimming modes seem to be as dynamic and intuitive as anything else on the market, and the timeline itself is definitely a major step up from version 10 in terms of the functionality that is expected of modern NLEs. Add to that the new transitions and transition parameters -- plus the fact that they're very simple to add in a variety of common durations -- and it seems clear that DaVinci Resolve might just take a swing at some of the major NLEs on the market today. However, it's still going to be interesting to see how Resolve compares to its competitors in terms of media management.

Beyond that, there are some tremendous new additions to the color correction side of this software as well. The advanced color match palate, which takes chrominance information from industry standard color charts, can create a neutral grade for any shot in a matter of seconds (which is a god-send for people like me with a little X-Rite Color Checker).

Ultimately, the fact that this piece of software is free (unless you need some of the higher-end features like temporal noise reduction) is absolutely mind-boggling. DaVinci Resolve is in a unique position to become the first "all-in-one" application to take the world by storm, even though it lacks the compositing features of something like Smoke (for now, that is).

If you're interested in participating in the public beta of Resolve 11, just follow this here link and meander down to the bottom left part of the site to find the download.

What do you guys think of the new features in Resolve 11? Is it in a position to take over part of the NLE market with this feature set, or does it need some more technological advancement before it's ready to take on the likes of Avid, Premiere, and FCPX? Let us know down in the comments!

Link: Support & Downloads -- Blackmagic Design

I downloaded it today and am greatly looking forward to testing out the features over this week and weekend. I currently teach Resolve as a part of the color pipeline in our student's film's workflow. They were amazed at what it could do simply as a grading tool, but these features will likely blow their hair back.

June 24, 2014 at 10:29PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Rob

I have downloaded it and installed it. But when I try to open it I am asked to insert a dongle. Any ideas?

June 27, 2014 at 5:45PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Sam

I made the same mistake. I downloaded the pay version. But then I downloaded Lite which I intended in the beginning and it worked.

June 28, 2014 at 4:48AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Alexander Hansson

so much more excited than about CC 2014! Can't wait to get my hands on that.
Also considering to buy a BMPCC and get the full version including the (great looking) noise reduction.

June 24, 2014 at 10:31PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Tim

I think you get the lite version of Resolve with the BMPCC.
The full version comes free only with the Production and Cinema cameras.

June 24, 2014 at 11:26PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

tungah

That's accurate. The pocket and studio cameras do not include the resolve dongle.

The cinema, production, and forthcoming URSA include full a dongle for the full version of resolve.

June 25, 2014 at 12:12AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

willvincent

so can someone tell me if resolve is a GPU hungry or CPU app?

June 24, 2014 at 11:29PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

matteusclement

A bit of both, but primarily GPU hungry.

June 24, 2014 at 11:43PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

willvincent

+1 yes, ^this^

June 25, 2014 at 1:31AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Ty

I am really excited about this. I just downloaded and I am having trouble getting to the edit page. Im on a macbook pro and the short cut for the edit page "F4" is not working,Also I can't see the icons for the different pages. Anyone know how I can get to the Edit page, I have media and have selected "make new timeline from bin" and it says there are time lines existing, I just can't get to them!

June 24, 2014 at 11:58PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Peter

Change your screen resolution to something larger, I believe it has to be 1600x900 or so at a minimum to see the full UI now.

As for the F4 key, you may need to go into system prefs and change the keyboard to use function keys as normal function keys, not their brightness/volume/etc controls that they are normally set to.

June 25, 2014 at 12:05AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

willvincent

I can't change my resolution any larger unless there is some kind of hack.

I did that and restarted resolve and it didn't help.

Thanks for your suggestions, I'll have to try it on an iMac sometime soon.

June 25, 2014 at 12:31AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Peter Staubs

Here you go dude. There's a trick to it - just scroll through this thread and you'll see it :) Good luck!

June 25, 2014 at 4:46AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Found a work around for this problem.

Go to view > show window frame then click on the green traffic light and the UI shrinks to fit your screen.

June 25, 2014 at 10:53AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Jamie

Awesome, this works!

June 25, 2014 at 10:47PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Peter

so i downloaded it but it said it didn't have a valid license dongle attached. anyone know a way around this?

June 25, 2014 at 12:15AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

same here

June 25, 2014 at 12:24AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

asa

Make sure you're downloading the lite version and not the full one.

June 25, 2014 at 1:27AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

von

Same here!

June 25, 2014 at 1:33AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Download the Lite version. I did the same. lol

June 25, 2014 at 1:47AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

alex mand

I've spotted a problem. There appear to be 2 different links on the Resolve support page. One has a Linux link and the other doesn't. If you go for the one with the Linux (link it gives you the full version even if you select LITE from the dropdown. Try the link without the Linux link (assuming you don't want Linux ;) ).

June 25, 2014 at 5:38AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

I think it looks great, but sadly I won't be able to use it since the GPU in my 2012 Mac mini is unsupported. It's my understanding it won't run at all without a dedicated GPU (aka no intel GPUs).

June 25, 2014 at 12:15AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

June 25, 2014 at 4:55AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

JensF

They don't even list mac minis in the documentation, so I'm going to go with "no". It doesn't support the Intel graphics on Macbook Pro 13" models either.

June 25, 2014 at 8:13AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Pat

Gotta love these guys!

June 25, 2014 at 4:31AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

hansd35

Awesome! I love my Creative Cloud suite and I love Premiere but after updating to 2014 and having nothing but problems (again) and having less than satisfactory customer service (again) I'm done with that shit. Dynamic Link with After Effects is awesome but just not worth it for now, especially as I finish everything in Resolve anyway and work as a freelance colourist using Resolve. In short - this is my Christmas come early :D Soooo excited :D Oh and not to mention sexy new DIT tools like checksum cloning and improved metadata support! Does anyone know if it has audio syncing tools for dailies? What would totally be the icing on the cake (I hope you are listening BMD) would be ProRes integration in Windows as with the latest Assimilate Scratch. Then it might be replacing more than just Premiere for me (or at least make Assimilate reconsider their mental prices. Anyway - cheers BMD - you guys rock the shit. I'm off for a cold shower. Peace x

June 25, 2014 at 5:05AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

It's able to do AuxTimecode syncing, so if you run timecode into the camera audio input and sound recorder input you are able to sync that way... don't think there's anything like pluraleyes baked in though.

June 25, 2014 at 4:36PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Will Vincent

Sweet - cheers dude :)

Yeah - I mean sync tools more in line with Scratch not Pluraleyes :)

June 25, 2014 at 7:54PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Kraig

Will,

I have been looking for one specific feature in audio recorders for DSLR's and it would simply be awsome together with Resolve... TC inserted in one of the audio tracks. Here is what I would like to see:

A recorder like Zoom or Tascam that record on 4 tracks to Broadcast Wave format with TC. Then a cable from the recorder to the camera. It should give a mix of the recorded audio on one channel and it should use the other channel for TC.

If I am correct, Resolve would be able to use this TC and convert it to a functional TC? And then use it for sync? This would be an awesome workflow for DSLR shooters!!

If anyone has any tip on a recorder that will do this, I would be ever so grateful for the tip!!

June 28, 2014 at 9:53PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Damn it! This looks way too good! I really need to set some time appart to getting to know the editting within Resolve. If it all goes well, bye bye premiere :P Just a bit scared to dive into a new program just when I have the strange feeling I know what I am doing within premiere ;)

June 25, 2014 at 9:02AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

"If it all goes well, bye bye premiere."

Can you outline that a bit?

June 25, 2014 at 9:24AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Tom DoP

I meant 'if I'm satisfied with the way the program handles basic editting, like what you normally do with an NLE like Premiere, and if I am able to adapt to it's workflow without too much downtime, then I will probably stop using premiere and start using Resolve. As a BMCC user I already have the full version of Resolve so why not use it instead of paying for Premiere?

June 25, 2014 at 9:44AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

I understand.

But if you use PP, you may also use AE. Both can be easily used hand in hand.

For example: You have footage that needs to be pre-processed (corrected) before it can be used in a cut inside PP. Do you re-render it corrected, or do you use a directly nested AE-replacement inside PP?

I think this is one feature, which a lot of people don't wanna miss.

If I used Resolve for editing and CC, I would have to create a corrected footage (example above), which is an additional file, needing disk space.

But PP as well as AE have really problems handling large files and larg projects.

I am not pinned down to any NLE. I use that NLE, which is fast. So... in a couple of months I'll have a look at Resolve again.

June 25, 2014 at 2:07PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Tom DoP

Guess that all depends on what you mean by "corrected"

June 25, 2014 at 4:38PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Will Vincent

Resolve isn't an NLE. It's a grading program with some editing features. You'd be silly to get rid of a dedicated NLE for this.

June 26, 2014 at 1:08AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

adam

Lol. Clearly you haven't watched ANY of their videos. It is very much an NLE.

June 26, 2014 at 12:14PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

C

It may be true that BM has an eye on the GH4. It seems they lowered the price of the BM4K at the same time the GH4 came out at $1700.00. BM’s 4K for $4K lost it’s punch after 4K for $1.7K came out.

Still shaking my head at how fast things are changing in the video world.

June 25, 2014 at 11:13AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Gene

+1, it's getting ridiculous. In a good way. But still ridiculous.

June 25, 2014 at 1:52PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Kent

As a professional colourist I'd say this sucks ass as it means I'm going to be asked to do edits when I should be colouring. Though if I was a no budget filmmaker I guess I'd be jizzing at the release. Bare in mind people if you want to use this properly you need to forget about no-budget hardware- if you're on PC I'd recommend dual 780s at a minimum for 4k...

June 25, 2014 at 2:57PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Keith

I'm not being funny dude but this is a strange concern. First off, why on earth would clients suddenly start asking "can you edit this before you colour it?" and second why should this worry you? Even if in the unlikely event someone does ask you to edit something when you aren't an editor surely you can always say 'no'? Also - I can run 4K RED at "Half Good" debayering just fine with a 560 and a 570 so that's not an issue either.

June 25, 2014 at 7:50PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Kraig

Just to add to this I can also run 4K in realtime on my i7 HP Envy laptop with 1/4 res debayering.

June 25, 2014 at 7:52PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Kraig

I've done a bit of professional grading and yes, I've been asked to make edit adjustments (In Resolve) by clients. It was painful. Hopefully this will make it better, and yes, I see the grading, onlining, finishing roles being merged back together. As a colorist I was asked to place alpha keys, do flares, sky replacement, compositing, and lots of other effects. I could always say no, as you indicated, but clients are going to take up with the ones that say yes at the end of the day. So, yeah, the more I can do in Resolve, the better.

On the other hand, the client doesn't like to pay for that stuff sadly. So, yeah there is a fine line and balance to take into consideration. You want to keep the client by being able to accommodate offering additional mastering services, and yet give them fair warning that this is going above and beyond and likely going to cost them more than their original quote. Otherwise you will end up with a vey unhappy client who wants to know why they have to pay thousands more than the quote. I have of couse said, well, because instead of an 8 hour session, I did a 16 hour session....I mean, you were there for at least 14 hours of that, right? You know you went way over the standard session, right? And then they say, but why didn't you tell me you were charging me extra for that!??

June 28, 2014 at 12:08PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Benjamin Forrest

How will different framrates work when editing in Resolve now?!

June 26, 2014 at 9:57AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

How will multiple framrates work when editing in Resolve now?!

June 26, 2014 at 9:57AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

how do you download the lite version? I can't find it!

June 26, 2014 at 10:58AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

The question is - Can we now edit cinemaDNG directly in Resolve without proxy round-tripping? THAT would have me excited :)

June 26, 2014 at 12:05PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Chaz

The effects in the "color match" tab can get you to a starting point extremely fast

June 26, 2014 at 1:23PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

But unfortunately it still cant read AVCHD from the FS700 (and i think the C100 also)

June 26, 2014 at 1:25PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Yeah that's a bummer. I was hoping to not have to keep using ClipWrap.

June 26, 2014 at 2:49PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

alex

I think its the only major format that is not supported.

June 26, 2014 at 5:14PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Even clip-wrapped, they have been extremely less responsive for me in the past. When I see AVCHD these days, I hit the convert button on compressor or some other transcoder and just go to Pro Res. IMO, AVCHD is one of the worst, if not the worst codec out there these days.

June 28, 2014 at 12:13PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Benjamin Forrest

Resolve 11 Lite for Linux. To be or no to be?

June 26, 2014 at 2:21PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Oleg

Not to be. This has been brought up many times on the forums there. The Linux version is tied to specific hardware that would require $20,000 plus. If you're spending that much, they will throw in full license.
So, yeah, even if you had a dongle, you could not run it on linux without the specific hardware needed. Better to think of the linux version as a workstation package, not a software package.

June 28, 2014 at 12:17PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Benjamin Forrest

Can you create multiple timelines with different frame rates ? or import multiple clips with different frame rates?

June 26, 2014 at 5:17PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Wow loving this so far.

Makes the black magic a fantastic value since for my simple needs I can dump adobe and save money by using this for free (own the 2.5k)

June 26, 2014 at 5:34PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Theo Slawin

There's been a lot of talk about this upcoming version where I work. How I see it, I don't think it'll replace a dedicated NLE and I don't think that is what Blackmagic are attempting to do here. All these features are complimentary to the onlining, conforming process. They are features that have been asked for, for a long time.

Anyone who's ever edited in Blackmagic know it's been seriously lacking in even basic functionality in that department. Lots of bugs and inconsistencies there. You can't custom map your keyboard. Chose Avid as a default, but find out some keys conflict with other Resolve shortcuts and simply do not function. The FCPx keys sometimes work the opposite. Mark in and mark out and try to extract, nope... Razor your in and out and then tray again instead. It's all very tedious.

This version should fix a lot of problems there. But using it as your go to NLE...? I am extremely sceptic. Smoke often lauds their combined NLE and Onlining features. But at the end of the day, no one's picking up purely for editing. Lite is free of course so prove me wrong everyone and show me your determination to use color-correction tool for the sake of saving money on your budget. Or you could splash out $300 on FCPx, which most directors actually love to use, or got $280 for the lightworks (beta now available on Mac), which traditional editors should love to use

June 28, 2014 at 12:27PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM