August 27, 2014

Now You Can Create Stunning Time-Lapses on Your iPhone with Instagram's New Hyperlapse App

HyperlapseInstagram played a huge role in making vintage photo filters accessible and ubiquitous. Through the years they've added new looks, a social media dimension, and a Vine-like short video application. Yesterday, they took their brand to the next level by launching a standalone app that photographers and videographers alike (as well as everyone else) will appreciate -- Hyperlapse, a time-lapse app that has some pretty exciting features: its simple design, sharing capabilities, and especially its image stabilization technology, which is not only absolutely key for time-lapse photography, but was something absent in mobile videography/photography until now.

Check out this video to get acquainted with Hyperlapse.

There are definitely other time-lapse apps out there that do a decent job at capturing what you want to capture -- however, how good the video ends being up often depends on how steady you can hold your phone. Hyperlapse makes it possible to record handheld video thanks to its stabilization technology. This is the feature, at least for me, that makes this app completely and utterly worthy of my zero dollar investment. Oh yeah -- did I mention that it's free?

And if you want to see just how stable Hyperlapse can make your footage, just check out this video:

Here's a bit from Instagram's announcement that sheds more light on Hyperlapse:

We designed Hyperlapse to be as simple as possible. You don’t need an account to create a hyperlapse. Instead, you open up straight to the camera. Tap once to begin recording and tap again to stop. Choose a playback speed that you like between 1x-12x and tap the green check mark to save it to your camera roll. You can share your video on Instagram easily from there.

Here are the key features:

• Simple interface: there's just a single button to stop and start your recording. There is no login required.
  • Choose the playback speed, anywhere from 1x (normal speed) to 12x.
  • Share directly to your Instagram or Facebook account, or save to your smartphone's camera roll to access later.

I'm a lazy, lazy, lazy filmmaker 90% of the time. I don't feel like taking out all of my gear, unlocking boxes, setting up tripods and lights just to record something simple that I could get on my phone. For a long time, though, the result was lackluster, but so many great apps have been popping up that allow me to capture on this little phone what I see in my big, stupid imagination. A decent time-lapse app is a very welcomed addition to the growing plethora of mobile filmmaking tools.

Hyperlapse is available now for download only in the iTunes store.

Link: Hyperlapse from Instagram -- iTunes Store

I actually just used this today walking down my street, and I'm really impressed at the stabilization that it achieves, even when I felt like I was bumping the camera all over the place. It's pretty mind boggling.

August 27, 2014 at 5:59PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Now the question is, "How do I do this on my REAL camera?".

August 27, 2014 at 6:23PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

With after effects. Track and stabilize.

August 28, 2014 at 2:52AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Pranav Tonseker

Warp stabilizer in AE should do the trick - however this Instagram app is FREE!
Can't believe it works that well!

August 28, 2014 at 7:58PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Heiko

The "time lapses" in these videos were taken at such short intervals that they might as well be called videos. Videos that make the 15 FPS 4K GoPro footage look smooth, that is. What is the point of doing a time-lapse with such short intervals. Why not just call this a video stabilization app? Is it because there are already other video apps that do this? I don't get it from the videos. I'll probably download it to see if I'm missing something.

August 27, 2014 at 8:49PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Jorge

The app can do up to 12x
I don't think much more would be needed for handheld phone-videos.
I mean, if you want to capture 24 hours in 1 minute, you wouldn't want to do it hand held on your phone, right?

August 28, 2014 at 8:00PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Heiko

I love this!
But when is the tech coming to my editing suite?

I would love to use this on my DSLR

August 27, 2014 at 10:09PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

You can, but man does it take some work.

August 28, 2014 at 1:24AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Ty

This is fantastic. You can also do a Hyperlapse and replay at 1x times speed which still gets the stabilisation effect. Worth having, and for free, it's very good value for money!

August 28, 2014 at 4:28AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Microsoft recently published research about this: http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/um/redmond/projects/hyperlapse/

August 28, 2014 at 7:50AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Mike van der Lee

I'll check this out.
I also remember/have an app called "Luma" that had pretty impressive real-time image stabilization. I'll be interested to see how these compare.

August 28, 2014 at 10:00AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Tim

That may be because Instagram bought Luma… I've been waiting to see what came of that, and apparently it's this.

August 31, 2014 at 12:50PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Olaf

"Timelapse", clever that they used that word but it's just sped up video that's stabilized. Huge dissapointment.

August 29, 2014 at 8:11AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Sara

I think that the most amazing thing with this app is the brilliantness in giving birth and executing the idea. There’s really no way a mobile phone with it’s limited resources can pixel track a videoclip like adobe does, much less microsoft. At least not so quickly.
The genius idea is to use feed the app iPhone’s gyroscope data and reposition the frame to compensate. It even it works swiftly on my lowly iPhone 4.

By the way, I find the Microsoft concept to be super cool as well and with even more impressing result but its brilliantness uses science way beyond my comprehension while this app’s concept seems someway easier to understand

August 29, 2014 at 10:43AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM