September 16, 2014

FILMMAKER PASS: The Art of Casting and the Struggles Filmmakers Face

Leah Meyerhoff on No Film School's Filmmaker Pass
With the release of the new No Film School last week, we also unveiled a new series covering a wide range of topics that filmmakers care about. In this installment of FILMMAKER PASS we're focussing on how different directors approach casting and the daily struggles they face as filmmakers.

It's an incredibly interesting time to be a filmmaker, but equally overwhelming. Casting is one thing that I feel has blown wide open with the advent of digital technology -- at least it has changed the way I think about casting. Can anyone truly be an actor given the right circumstances? Do we still need stars to garner audiences? This and more questions are explored herein.

In case you missed it, don't forget to check out last week's installment where we talked to these filmmakers about the current state of cinema and making a living.

How do you approach casting and what have you learned from that process?

What are you struggling with most in this moment of your career?

I really appreciate all the feedback from last week's installment, so please, keep it coming! We'd love to hear your thoughts on these topics and this format.

A big thanks to the filmmakers involved:

Fernando Frias
T.J. Misny
Leah Meyerhoff
Jack Lewars

music by Coma Cinema
interviews by Micah Van Hove

I love this series that you guys are doing, it makes NFS feel more... personal. Its not just sourcing other content from the web, i'm not knocking that since it provides me with useful information i would not have found on my own and it takes work finding and curating them, but I love this. It helps me view other film makers who have created content and get a little insight I would not have seen.

I do hope creating these aren't too difficult as I would love to see more, the nfs brand is growing and I'm totally in for that and appreciate the work you guys do.

September 16, 2014 at 11:49AM, Edited September 16, 11:49AM

Gvickie Xiong
Editor/Cinematographer/Director

Thanks Gvickie, that's totally what I was trying to do with these series. Glad to hear that it's working!

September 16, 2014 at 2:29PM

Micah Van Hove
Writer
director, producer, dp

I have been researching on how to identify a good talent and the kind of signs I should look for in people I want to work with, I still didn’t find the perfect recipe but one thing that worked for me in multiple occasions is looking for open personality, less shy, and more fun to work with.

But also I believe it depends on the style of the director, my personal directing style is, I try to create the mood for the actors and sometimes manipulate them to get better performance.

And Thank you No Film School your content has started to become more diversified in all aspects of film making, rather than focusing on mostly gears. It seems like the understated things in film making that you don’t usually hear people talk about and find out on your own project are being covered here. I am happy, keep the good work.

September 16, 2014 at 12:24PM

Kirubel Stifanos
Director / VFX

The light in those videos! Brrrrr....

I meant it in a supportive way, of course ^_^

September 16, 2014 at 2:50PM

Alex Zakrividoroga
Director

lighting and cinematography doesn't matter if the content is good.

September 16, 2014 at 3:03PM

Ed David
Director of Photography

These are great Micah, such an important part of being a committed filmmaker is trying to work out how to balance the all-in immersion of the job with being a functioning human being. I have no idea what the answer is. All I know is, somebody somewhere is always annoyed with me!

September 16, 2014 at 4:48PM

Robin Schmidt
Director

It's very frustrating when for your movie, makes casting and don't find a perfect actor for the rol...

September 17, 2014 at 2:39AM

Ragüel Cremades
Film producer and director

Hats off, congratulations on making original NFS content. And what good content it is too. Strength to strength.

September 17, 2014 at 2:47AM

Stu Mannion
writer/dir/dp

"Art is hard but no matter what you keep going, you keep telling your stories"

Loving this kind of interviews, keep it up!

September 17, 2014 at 11:26AM