September 2, 2014

New Blackmagic URSA 4K Footage is Simply Beautiful

While there aren't too many Blackmagic URSA 4K cameras in the wild, we've got another set of beautiful test clips. Shot by Hook — who has been involved with Blackmagic test shoots before (and now works for the company) — this footage is the first we've seen from the EF version of the new URSA 4K Cinema Camera. While the previous footage was shot with old PL cinema glass, Hook used very new and sharp Canon EF glass throughout the video, and was able to come up with some spectacular results. Here are the technical details:

Edited and Graded in DaVinci Resolve 11

Mostly shot at 60fps Prores 422HQ in camera and conformed to 24fps.

LENSES: Sigma 18-35/1.8 Art, Sigma 50/1.4 Art, Canon 70-200/2.8L II IS
Hoya ProNDs and Tiffen VariND+Hoya IR Cut
Schneider Hollywood Blackmagic 1/4 and Tiffen Soft FX 1
MUSIC: "By Your Side" - used with permission from Alan Poettcker of "The Runaway Club"

The person operating the camera has a lot to do with what footage looks like, but everything we're seeing looks nice and crisp, with great colors. The sensors in the Blackmagic 4K and the URSA are the same, so footage will be very comparable, though fixed pattern noise should be improved on the new camera due to better hardware internally. As John Brawley mentioned though, black spots on the sun are still an issue, so hopefully it can be something that's worked out down the road, especially since this camera has so much powerful hardware under the hood.

Blackmagic URSA 4K EF Cinema Camera No Lens

What is obviously different about this footage from other Blackmagic cameras is the slow motion. It's something none of them have been capable of until now, and as a tool it's obviously very useful for plenty of situations. 60fps at 4K and 1080p, with possibly higher frame rates coming this year, are part of the reason this camera costs more, and is so much bigger and heavier than anything they've made so far (it's the size of an ALEXA).

The next part in the process is Blackmagic actually getting these out the door so people can start using them. Shipping has been one of their major issues with cameras, so hopefully the URSA doesn't follow in the same footsteps as other models and have significant shortages right out of the gate.

Absolutely beautiful.

September 2, 2014 at 9:13AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Is there any point to uploading videos to Vimeo? On every single video I've watched lately on Vimeo it pauses and buffers either instantly or within seconds, and can be unwatchable even if I let it load for several minutes.

September 2, 2014 at 9:16AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Angelo

I think it can depend on where you live and who your provider is. I've had pretty good luck with Vimeo for the most part and don't have any trouble playing this one back, but I know that's not the case for everyone.

September 2, 2014 at 9:26AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Joe Marine
Camera Department

Man I feel the same way. I LOVE Vimeo beyond love, but the buffering and loading can drive you crazy. I always figured it was my internet -- but it trips up anywhere and everywhere. Compared to Youtube, it's ridiculous. It's really too bad, I wish they would address it in a substantial way..

September 2, 2014 at 9:42AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

I had the same issues until I upgraded my internet to 20Mbps. Now its smooth as butter

September 2, 2014 at 10:58AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

matt

same here.....new service provider...and suddenly, no endless pausing (fingers crossed)

September 2, 2014 at 2:50PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Nick Layton

I don't usually have buffering problems. But I did notice that when they "upgraded" their player a few months back 720p videos started looking all crappy and aliased in full screen. And they were having a ton of weird vertical taring problems. But the tares were along the Y axis which is something I've previously never seen. I brought it up with them and they tried to play it off as an issue with my particular browser/setup/version whatever. Although I made it very clear to them that I had been seeing the issues on both Macs and PCs and in numerous browsers. It seems like some of the issues have gotten better with time but there was a lot of stuttering on playback of this video for me. Which is weird because my download speed clocks in a 93mbps and I'm on a HP Z820 with 32gb of ram and a Quadro 6000... I really shouldn't be seeing any issues at all...

September 2, 2014 at 3:31PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Angus

Buffer? ...get 1Gbps and forget this word...in Romania we have it.

September 2, 2014 at 5:59PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

gigi

in poland works perfectly no buffering, hd , i think it depends on YOur network condition. cheers!

September 2, 2014 at 10:17AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

JohnnyBravo

Portugal...no problems whatsoever

September 2, 2014 at 8:46PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Augusto Alves d...

Indonesia - no buffering issues because Vimeo is banned. Bastard ministry of communications

September 3, 2014 at 10:13AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Jakartaguy

got no problem buffering here... this one was actually pretty fast

September 2, 2014 at 10:17AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

DINIZ

I Have no problem with the Vimeo player. I dont now why people are uploading anything on it though since it cost money and gets you way lesser views than on youtube. Back in the days Vimeo could brag about HD but now Youtube delivers in 4k and beyond so....yeah. Vimeo is for hipsters ;)

September 2, 2014 at 10:30AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Johan

Vimeo's compression is far superior to YouTube. Also YouTube is a cesspool full of vertical cell-phone videos and all kinds of trash and stupidity. It's the lowest common denominator slum of the internet and you have to dig through piles of useless garbage to find anything worth watching. Meanwhile Vimeo is absolutely FILLED with interesting and beautiful art... Also the users of Vimeo are generally respectful and constructive with criticism. Unlike YouTube where nearly every single comment is filled with hate, racism, homophobia, and every other variety of stupidity...

Sometimes it's the quality of the views that matters more than the numbers. I would rather have 100 artists and professionals see my work than a million idiots.

September 2, 2014 at 3:40PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Angus

Dude you need to learn how to use a search engine. Its easyer to find good high quality stuff on youtube than on vimeo where its just video after video of flowers to sad piano music.

September 2, 2014 at 4:09PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

MrL

No I don't need to learn how to use a search engine. But you might need to learn to be a little less condescending.

The thing I like about Vimeo is that I don't usually have to search to find good stuff because I belong to enough groups and follow enough artists and channels that I like. So it all comes to me without me having to know what I'm looking for. So I'm pleasantly surprised by things I didn't know I wanted to see, and therefore couldn't search for... Seee?

I know, I know, you can "subscribe" to channels on YouTube. But I would rather avoid all the millions of Ice Bucket Challenges, cat videos, vlogs, and pieces of TV shows and all the other trash...

YouTube has it's place. But Vimeo is a much better place to find quality content...

September 2, 2014 at 5:40PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Angus

Red has a YouTube channel and its videos are in 4K. For the preview type footage that this is, BMD should do likewise.
As to avoiding YouTube - it's the best place to find free Tarkovsky and Eisenstein movies. That alone makes it a good enough destination.

September 2, 2014 at 10:32PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

DLD

Amen.

September 2, 2014 at 5:53PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Used to have that issue - turned out to be a combination of browser and OS. This and all vimeo videos play perfect for me now. Better than the over compressed, blocky YouTube.

September 2, 2014 at 11:21AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

It's so people can say, "hey, look, I'm too cool for youtube."

September 2, 2014 at 12:48PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

istanbull

Amazing camera shot. I wish could buy.... Thanks for post it

September 2, 2014 at 9:17AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

The only issue I have with this camera (other than the oversight of using it on a shoulder!) is that its so big that it moves itself into a hole different ball game in terms of grip and support options. Despite it being amazing value for the images, to properly stabilize the camera you are looking at serious wonga. Meanwhile a smaller, lesser camera can be stabilised on 3axis quite cheaply...

September 2, 2014 at 9:26AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

The footage indeed IS BEAUTIFUL!!!
I've been debating for the last year if This is the camera for me or the Sony FS700... I am still at toss up, but in any rate, this camera is beautiful.
I am still bump down for the "black sun" effect!!! I would have thought by now Black Magic should have fix it!!! But Oh Well... I hope is in t he NEAR FUTURE!!!!!
I am sad is too heavy too (I've heard is about 20+ lbs)... 20+ LBS!!!! But if is worth it then weight is secondary... I guess.
I am sad also that the video was done ALL in SLOW MOTION or 60 fps. I would have loved to see some of that AND some video done in 24 fps, and even some at 30 fps.
I LOVE the Dynamic Range I saw!!!! IT'S BEAUTIFUL (I'm tearing up). Those scenes at the very end are GORGEOUS!!!!! Even with the sun straight into the camera and no "black sun"... so it puts me to think that the error only happens when the sun is the most direct to the earth... which is between 9-10 am and 3-5 pm. I can live with that!
Anyways... I LOVE THIS CAMERA!!!

September 2, 2014 at 9:26AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

It's around 16 pounds without a lens, so definitely heavy, which means your head/sticks need to be able to handle that. As far as handheld goes, there is plenty of handheld done with the ALEXA and they're basically the same size, but it would certainly get tiring if you tried to keep it on your shoulder all day. Handheld with film-style short takes would obviously be easier on the operator.

September 2, 2014 at 9:30AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Joe Marine
Camera Department

Thanks Joe. 16 lbs without lens, it definitely will go beyond 25 lbs after adding lens, mat box, 15 mm. rods, monitor, reference microphone, etc.

September 2, 2014 at 2:03PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Do you really need a fourth monitor?

September 3, 2014 at 4:02AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Throw it on an easyrig as well. It still looks handheld, but makes things way easier on the operator.

September 2, 2014 at 3:55PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Chuck

I have to say using both the FS700 and the BMPC4k (I know its not the URSA, but same sensor) the FS700 is a better camera hands down. Obviously you'll need the external solution for the 4k recording, but if you ever need to use the camera in a low light situation the BM was terrible, where as the Sony - especially with Slog or Slog2 had low light for days!!! The 700 is also quite an odd size, but its not quite as tank like.

September 5, 2014 at 12:29PM, Edited September 5, 12:29PM

Scott Selman
Content Creator | Filmmaker | Producer

Ok... 60 fps. I understand that previous cameras from BlackMagic could not go more then 30, but I really don't care about it. If I'm gonna buy URSA, I need to be shure that guys from BM finally fixed problems with their 4K sensor. As far as I can see, this is another great promo video, but it brings really nothing to the subject. I'm still waiting.

September 2, 2014 at 9:43AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Lucas

Which problem? Fixed pattern Noise? Because as of the last firmware update it's supposedly resolved.

September 2, 2014 at 3:42PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Angus

This camera could be a RED killer if they add 120+fps at 2K. I would most definitely be open to owning another Blackmagic camera if they did that. It will be an awesome camera on its own, and it may bring the cost of the RED Scarlet to a fair price.

September 2, 2014 at 10:17AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Levi Stutzman

They came out and said they plan on a 120fps @4k in a firmware update. Rumor is circulating that the CION and URSA have the same sensor and the CION is able of 4k 120fps already. I'm not sure if this is confirmed in writing on the web but when I was at NAB a BMD rep was not bashful with this claim and said to expect it shortly after the launch.

September 2, 2014 at 11:30AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

bobhadababyitsaboy

If BMD is using the latest version of the CMOSIS CMV12000, the sensor itself is capable of 180 fps at 12 bits, 300 fps at 10 bits.

September 2, 2014 at 11:35AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Tzedekh

Red killer, lol. There's no way this camera hurts Red, or Arri or any other camera used for Hollywood productions, even if it did 4K @ 120fps.

September 3, 2014 at 2:26PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

geno

Yeap, now we are talking film look, very similar to Digitalbolex film look. As so far now, all the cameras including all other BlackMagics were able to produce something similar to my Canon Mark D II very digital look, apart of better highlights, details and resolution BUT the look was just always way too digital no matter what. Even with the recent discount for BMC 4K I could not justify the purchase. Now I may consider this as my next camera.

September 2, 2014 at 10:21AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Peter

It's the same sensor. Same colors, same look as the 4k. But here's the little detail that separates most BMCC 4k footage from this one:

Tiffen Soft FX 1

This is how you get any 4k camera to look cinematic. Soften the edges. I bet that this same footage shot with the same lenses and the same filter on the BMCC 4k would look identical.

I dig the URSA, but I still think I'm going to purchase the BMCC 4k for practical reasons.

September 2, 2014 at 11:27AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Dave N.

The other detail is the 60 fps.

September 2, 2014 at 8:48PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Razor

Really like the footage. But im getting a bit tired of all this documentary-footage. I wanna se more BM-fiction videos that really pushes the camera and shows what it can do in a narrative context.
You can shoot a documentary on a freaking mini-dv and no-one will care.

September 2, 2014 at 10:33AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Johan

Shoot some, then.

September 2, 2014 at 11:04AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Pat

I've just shot one on the BMPCC - feature length, low-budget adventure movie. We've got a load of screengrabs up at www.facebook.com/dsrmovie and we'll have the trailer up soon. Have a looksie - I've been very impressed with Blackmagic - once you work around any problems, the quality from their cameras is incredible.

September 2, 2014 at 11:47AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Alex your 'Don't Stop Running' looks amazing coming out of the BMPCC. Well done to the whole team!

September 2, 2014 at 12:55PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

VillageBoi

Thankyou! We should have a trailer up soon - converting the footage from RAW as we speak!

September 2, 2014 at 2:56PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Wow those locations SUCK ;)

Where are you filming this? Middle Earth?

September 2, 2014 at 3:47PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Angus

Ha! It's all in the South West of England, Angus - Dartmoor, Exmoor and an area called the Quantocks. Glad you like!

September 2, 2014 at 4:24PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

What format are you converting the raw files to?

September 2, 2014 at 8:27PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Julian

Hi Julian - We're doing the offline in ProRes Proxy, and then we'll be conforming from the RAW again at the end of the edit, and for the trailer. There's not much point in editing it in a higher quality - in my opinion - as the volume of footage means we're currently applying a very simple grade to the footage (really just balancing everything) - so regardless of whether it's ProRes HQ, LT or Proxy it's not going to look anywhere near as good as the conformed edits will at the tail end. Proxy files will also save a lot of space - we've currently got 4tb of footage, triple backed up!

September 3, 2014 at 3:09AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Being a BMPC4K owner, I can tell you that Captain Hook is one of the top colorists and shooters in the Blaxk Magic community. He seems to have squeezed all of the dynamic range he could out of the URSA, no doubt through the use of polarization filters and expert grading. I'd actually prefer to see someone shoot with the URSA with considerably less shooting, grading skill and less expensive glass.

September 2, 2014 at 10:45AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

DK

Is it me or the every blackmagic camera has the same orange/red tone? I am not able to se good greens or whites...

September 2, 2014 at 10:50AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Santiago

Wouldn't that be a color grading fault?

September 2, 2014 at 11:32AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Niki

it's because everyone uses these red/orange LUTs that Mr Hook provides for all the BM Cameras.

September 2, 2014 at 11:52AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

yeahplease

What yeah said. Everyone is grading the footage the same. I'm not a gigantic fan, either.

September 2, 2014 at 1:28PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

No, it doesn't look good at all. Color separation looks terrible.

September 2, 2014 at 2:49PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Santiago

The orange/teal look is considered hip these days, fwiw.

September 2, 2014 at 3:18PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

DLD

I know that, I'm a colorist myself and everyone is going for the teal/orange look with Alexa and Cooke lenses, is getting really boring. But that looks awful, snow looks like dirt.
It's like Philip Bloom adding that crappy film convert to everything.

September 3, 2014 at 6:47AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Santiago

The color separation is low. It does not look good. It is a niche grading. This can't be the best this camera can do.

September 3, 2014 at 2:28PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

geno

Color grading is subjective. You will never please everyone no matter the skill behind the look. Stefan Sonnenfeld is considered one of the best colorists in the world, but not everyone likes his style. For my own preference, I prefer Stephen Nakamura's style.

September 2, 2014 at 9:01PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Razor

I was going to make the same comment, but with harsher words. For a while I tought URSA was AMIRRA and vice-versa and I was ready to post here the colors were very crap, like BM style, but decided to take a look at the text and comments before. My MKIII produces much better results color wise, in my hands, in my opinion.

September 3, 2014 at 1:35AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Another big caveat is having to shoot with CFast cards on the URSA. The GB to dollar ratio is not favorable, nor is the card max capacity. You could get what, 5 mins per card in RAW 4K? A huge camera that shoots on more compact cards than the BMPC4K. I actually pre-ordered the URSA back during NAB. But if it has the same sensor as the BMPC4K I am very skeptical of the dynamic range, since it's around 12 on the BMPC.

September 2, 2014 at 10:51AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

DK

1. CFast 2.0 supports VPG (Video Performance Guarantee). A minimum guaranteed speed specification for writing continuous data streams. VPG 20 is a min. of 20MB/s and VPG 65 is a min. of 65MB/s.
2. The smaller size allows for 2 card slots.
3. Future cards will only increase in capacity and become cheaper.

September 2, 2014 at 9:19PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Razor

So it should be possible to get the same look (except the slow motion) on the BMPC 4k... right?

September 2, 2014 at 11:30AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Niki

I liked the footage, but clearly it has been pushed to the extreme by an expert like Captain Hook, in my personal opinion this camera is too HEAVY, 16 pounds?, waw, that's a tank, it is really too many, I am not afraid of heavier cameras, I did shoot with an eclair 16mm NPR camera in my shoulder two years ago and I know how to manage heavier cameras, and I can tell you this camera will be really hard to use in a SOLO project, you will need at least an ARCHER to fly this tank, I will choose a BT R1 over this blackmagic any time, and I think the cost are similar now.

September 2, 2014 at 11:43AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

hijodeibn

I would say that's the benefit of the fact that Blackmagic also has smaller cameras. When you need a small one for the weight to match the look, the 4K model should be identical, and is much lighter.

September 2, 2014 at 12:22PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Joe Marine
Camera Department

Weight depends on what you are shooting for, if hand held on a steadicam or rig, I'd prefer a heavy camera because its got more inertia but a lighter camera wobbles around more. My FS700 rig kit weighs 16 KG or 35 pounds and is about right to get smoother shots over the shoulder, but the issue there is that Im 6ft 4 and can take that kind of weight but if an op isn't capable of carrying a lot of excess rig weight around all day, then it might pose a significant health problem - remembering cameras are nice but hurting yourself with a heavy camera just isn't cool no matter how amazing the brand is.

September 2, 2014 at 8:28PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Shaun Wilson

New Sony FS700 II will purportedly cost more (speculated at $10K) and will also do 4K internal ... and look sort of alike (no idea on weight). With a similar performance, some people will pay the $4K (for 4K!) Sony premium.

September 2, 2014 at 12:06PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

DLD

Do you know where can I get more information about this?

September 2, 2014 at 2:20PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Never mind, here is the link I found:

September 2, 2014 at 2:42PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

September 2, 2014 at 1:14PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

ben

This footage is great because the shooter is great. He could get gorgeous shots out of a pinhole and a box. Not saying anything pro or con against the camera, just that if you want to get similar shots you probably need to up your game, not get a better camera. Now, if you're truly in need of a camera and this set of features and price point match-up for you...go for it.

September 2, 2014 at 1:15PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Joseph Moore

How great would it be if you could detach that monitor and offset it toward the lens a bit so you could use Ursa on your shoulder? Would save folks money on renting/buying shoulder rigs.

September 2, 2014 at 1:34PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

I don't really like the footage. I mean, is good, but not enough for that price.

I hope AJA's CION gets a better image out of that sensor. Too much noise in the magentas and blues. I even like the 5D magic lantern much more than this. Yeah, more pixels, amazing..., but is it really worth it if you get that amount of noise?

Prosumer 4K it is still to be developed for at least a year to get a descent 4K that can compite with the current great, much more affordable, full HD.

If we are going to use 4K, is because we are really taking care of the image, grading, final product. Not just because it has more pixels. So this video doesn't really seduce me (cost-result).

September 2, 2014 at 2:35PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Great music.

Only joking. That has got to be the worst music ever written.

September 2, 2014 at 2:43PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Jacob.

...In you opinion. Why should I care about your opinion, especially one so poorly articulated?

September 2, 2014 at 3:34PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

jah

Nope. I have a bad music barometer and this just blew it up.

September 2, 2014 at 3:47PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Yeah it's pretty horrible.

September 2, 2014 at 6:07PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Angus

My wife warned me to keep the sound off. From the posts here, I am glad I married her :)

September 2, 2014 at 6:13PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Ghostdog

Great to see some nice footage of New Zealand! It really is a beautiful country.

I'm pretty sure I walked past Captain Hook and his girlfriend filming the other day.

September 2, 2014 at 3:55PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Richard

I too am kinda liking this camera. The footage looks great of course, but there are always the caveats so I'll wait to see what those are. I definitely won't be an early adopter. But I really appreciate Black Magic. Here is a company that truly is doing there best to put value with every dollar. I know they are not the most reliable company, but hopefully they'll get it right as some point.

Also, yes this is a friggin giant camera. But it's actually really cool. I got to play with it at NAB this year and all those monitors and led's and buttons and controls seem like they'd be so useful. That giant monitor was also surprisingly nice. Also the fact that you can change sensors later on is really cool too. I think eventually I'll be getting one. We'll see.

September 2, 2014 at 5:18PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Jonesy

Thought for sure some latest UPDATES -- before SEPTEMBER 2 -- took care of the whole "black sun" problem. Pound for pound, how can you friggin' go wrong with URSA at 5600.00 vs. arri-red at 60 k and more?
The RED-ARRI fans must have tons of cash. As an indie filmer myself, I live-die by my own coin. Piece by piece. I can work with the URSA; make it fit my budget;as opposed to doing the opposite.

September 2, 2014 at 5:24PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

MARK11

The URSA is actually $5,995 for the EF and $6,495 for the PL mount. After accessories, rigging, lighting, and cine glass this camera, like any professional digital cinema camera will cost over $30,000. "Pound for pound", the best camera on the market is still the RED ONE. Better resolution, more options (2k at 120 FPS), higher Dynamic Range you can find one with low hours on eBay for around $7,500 with every thing you need to start filming (except lenses). I've been watching the URSA very closely and I hope it proves itself just as good, if not better than the 7 year old RED ONE.

September 2, 2014 at 6:34PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Chris

The biggest expense/investment here will be in the C-fast 2.0 cards. An independent filmmaker should be able to get by with some LED fresnels and 500-1000 bead panels off eBay. Most new light rigs are using the same new, high CRI chips from Cree anyway.

September 2, 2014 at 7:13PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

DLD

Totally agree, the best camera now for independent filmmakers like myself who has to pay for everything is the Red One, I get one last year and I am very happy with it. I think BM is close to release a camera that will take this place, I hope sooner that later.

September 3, 2014 at 11:32AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

hijodeibn

Shooting everything in slow motion is cheesy.

September 2, 2014 at 5:25PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Jester

That looks awesome!

September 2, 2014 at 5:50PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

The camera is definite producing quality pictures. JB posted a video just recently as well. For the money, if you want to tell a story and do it on the cheap (meaning not spending a lot), the URSA can be a solution. And 16 pounds is not heavy. You have to have some weight for a shoulder mounted camera or it wont be as steady as a camera that is too light. I think they could have done without the side panel monitor and made it more like a Cinema ENG camera. URSA and CION will definitely have a place in the food chain. Hope BMD can keep the masses happy with good updates from here on. They seem to have made good progress in that arena. I think the only stumble was the 2.5k hardware is not up to the same spec as the newer camera hardware. Best of luck Hook! (FYI, I'm not a fanboy, I've been quite harsh on the BMD product line in the past)

September 2, 2014 at 7:11PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Bill Gilbride

Well, it's certainly the best BlackMagic footage I've seen to date. Most of the time BlackMagic footage seems, I don't know, dirty and muddy, not clear, something just isn't right. I would love to see more different footage to see how it handles lighting in different settings and environments and I'd love to see something with vibrant colors like footage from the jungle.

September 2, 2014 at 8:53PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Teal-orange overdose.

September 2, 2014 at 9:15PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Nuviz

Beautiful work there. I so want to move to NZ to live.

September 2, 2014 at 9:42PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

The image is so clean... Watching the video on my iPad Mini with Retina Display was stunning. I couldn't even see the slightest banding or moire. Very impressive results from the URSA.

September 3, 2014 at 7:04AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Matthew Reis

I can't wait for this version to come out.

September 3, 2014 at 7:20AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

suuna

I've never been to New Zealand. I didn't know the grass there isn't green......

It looks like this was not shot in 4K. Where is 4K sharpness and detail? I know it's not being viewed in 4K. So that affects the sharpness, detail. But still, when other 4K footage is viewed at lower resolution on the internet it has more sharpness and detail than this.

The flesh tones are horrible. I know this is a niche grade. But, being that this is a nofilmschool comment thread, if this had been GH4 footage, regardless of grading bent, there would have been a stream of comments on how the flesh tones don't look good, as always happens when a post here is on GH4 footage.

From this video it looks like this is a niche camera, like the Digital Bolex, and won't reach broad market. I am sure it's still going to sell really well. Looking forward to better looking footage from this camera that shows its true powers with color.

I know this is a Simon Cowell-like comment. But this thread needed it. :-)

September 3, 2014 at 2:42PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

geno

I'm also a bit fed up with so-called sample footage that has been overly graded: I used to have a JVC XDCAM camcorder that probably would have looked pretty much the same using shitty plugins like Magic Bullet Looks.

September 3, 2014 at 3:31PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Nuviz

It's so BS that the BMPC 4K can't shoot 60fps. It shoots on 500MB/s SSDs for Chrissake! That data rate is plenty fast enough to record 4K Prores 422 at 60fps. Plus, if Blackmagic actually knew how to do compressed RAW like RED or even the upcoming AJA Cion then it would be able to achieve high fps in RAW as well. They just don't want to cannibilize URSA sales so they are holding the other cameras back. Until the URSA gets a sensor upgrade it's just an obese BMPC 4K.

September 3, 2014 at 10:18PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Footage looks great. Im actually interested on how the "URSA HDMI " will look with certain dslr's attached to it.

September 4, 2014 at 12:40AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Danniboi

If this footage is supposed to be so great, why does it all look soft? Or is it 'not cool' to have a clear, sharp image?

September 8, 2014 at 2:17AM, Edited September 8, 2:17AM

Graham HAY
Managing Director, Helicam International Ltd.