September 12, 2014

Huge Price Drops on the Freefly MōVI M5, M10, & M15 Camera Gimbals

Freefly MoVI M5 M10 M15 Family
The camera gimbal that started the recent trend, the Freefly MōVI M10, has seen two other versions join it during the last 18 months, the M5 and the M15, for cameras weighing 5 and 15 pounds, respectively.

While other companies have come along with pretty exciting offerings that are far cheaper, many of them still can't quite match the performance of the MōVI, as a lot of the smoothness comes from the software, not necessarily just the hardware. If you've been eyeing a MōVI, but have balked at the price, you're in luck, because during IBC they have cut their prices significantly.

Here's how the new pricing shakes out with barebones packages (with the M10 price basically cut in half from what it was):

• MōVI M5: $4,000
  • MōVI M10: $8,000
  • MōVI M15: $12,000

And what they said on their website about the drop:

“Since the introduction of the MōVI, we have focused on satisfying the overwhelming demand for the MōVI,” says Tabb Firchau, President of Freefly Systems. “With the recent growth of our business and the manufacturing economies of scale that come with higher volume, we are now able to offer the technological innovations of the MōVI stabilizers at exciting new price levels. We hope this allows filmmakers of every scale to perform the creative camera moves that can only be accomplished with a MōVI.

The MōVI M5, for camera packages weighing up to 5lbs/2.27kg, is now priced at $3,995 and the MōVI M10, for loads up to 12lbs/5.5kg, has an MSRP of $7,995. The recently announced M15 (for 15lbs/7kg payloads), shipping now in limited quantities, is priced at $11,995. Freefly also recently delivered the new MōVI Controller and will soon enhance its line of aerial systems.

Some of these may still be well out of your price range, but they are all now much more affordable than they once were, especially the M10, which can hold a huge variety of cameras.

You can find all of their products over in their online store

But the price is still stratospheric!

September 12, 2014 at 3:19PM

I'm very tempted to pull the trigger on an M5 for the bmpcc! Nothing cheaper seems to get the job done from my experience.

September 12, 2014 at 3:57PM

matt

Check out the "Silk" from xproheli.com Made for anything under 2 lbs. (BMPCC, GH4) and its just over $2K. It's can also be carried by there Heli. I haven't tried it yet but it seems like versatile option for some great cameras for traditional steadicam work + aerial options.

September 13, 2014 at 1:04AM

The DJI Ronin seems to be a far better deal for a meer 3K

September 12, 2014 at 4:13PM

PinZ
Director / Writer / Producer

For the pocket the dji ronin seems far too big and heavy. The M5 seems perfect for longer shots with smaller cameras as the whole package is much lighter. Not sure if the extra price justifies it though.

September 12, 2014 at 4:19PM, Edited September 12, 4:19PM

matt

It would be a better deal to get the DJI Ronin AND a BMPC rather than just the M5 for your pocket camera.

September 12, 2014 at 4:47PM

Josh Paul
Most often DP, Direct or Gaff

I just ordered a Ronin. One of the cameras that I will mount on it will be the pocket cinema camera. I'll let you know how it goes ;)

From people who I know who have worked with both have very good things to say about both. All things being equal, it comes down to price.

September 12, 2014 at 6:20PM

Had the oppertunity to hold/use a Ronin today. Sure, its a bit heavier than the Movi's, but also more versatile (different holding positions) and can easilly be mounted to something *(drones) for a mere 2500 euros. If the weight is a problem, hook it up to something like an easyrig and you are still done cheaper than a Movi, with added versatility and a seperate easyrig system that can also be used when not using the gimbal. Awesome stuff in my opinion.

September 12, 2014 at 4:47PM

Jeroen Rommelaars
Animator - Videographer - Motion Tracking

At NAB I picked up a Ronin and walked all the way over to the Freefly booth with it and asked those guys why they thought their Movi Gimball was worth thousands more than the one I was holding. (If you only mentioned the device, they'd pretend they didn't know what you were talking about so I had to take one hold it up to their face)

I wanted to hear the honest truth as to why the Ronin may be inferior. I was very surprised when they couldn't give me an answer.

September 12, 2014 at 4:54PM

Josh Paul
Most often DP, Direct or Gaff

I think Movis steep price tag comes with the R&D they put into the controllers. They have their own in house everything - from motion sensors to board to software to rods. The DJI seems to have a lower build quality - parts feel a little more thrown together, however this would be because they buy from other manufacturers in bulk. I doubt they produce their own chips to control it, and same with motors. Producing expensive gear for nice markets in small runs like Movi would have done would cost a bomb, hence the build quality and application of them being so good. They were designed to be held, not to be on a helicopter like most 3 axis gimbals.

September 12, 2014 at 5:33PM

Tyler

I can't speculate as to where the steep price tag comes from but I can tell you that the both products are very solid.

The Freefly cost $9,000 more. That makes a difference to some people.

September 12, 2014 at 6:02PM

Josh Paul
Most often DP, Direct or Gaff

Oh yeah, totally. But, they did enter the market and often those who do pay the price. And, now they own the professional market because of it - but it's cool to see solutions popping up at all different price ranges.

September 12, 2014 at 6:48PM

Tyler

Good point.

September 25, 2014 at 8:42PM, Edited September 25, 8:42PM

PAT FISH

Not sure why they couldn't answer the question but one HUGE factor to consider is weight. The Ronin weighs a little over 9lbs, WITHOUT A CAMERA PACKAGE, while the Movi weighs just under 4lbs.

If you've ever operated one of these units you know that it doesn't take long to get heavy. The Ronin is made from aluminum while the Movi is made from carbon fiber. Yes, the Ronin can support more weight as a result (about 16lbs vs 12lbs on a Movi) but good luck carrying that much weight without an Easyrig (16lbs + 9lbs = no thank you). Even with an Easyrig, I suspect your back won't take long to get sore. That's not to mention the great software that comes included with the Movi.

So the price cut is great, no doubt, but I totally get why it's still more expensive than a Ronin.

September 14, 2014 at 8:07PM

Dale Raphael Goldberg
Director/Editor

hhhh Dji ronin killed you :)

September 12, 2014 at 8:38PM

Mujahed Alwaisi
DP, Filmmaker

So basically they charged 15k for the M10 rig because they were the only ones, but then everybody else realized how easy to built from zero was. I bet they never thought people would figure it out so damn fast! Plus the DJI Ronin already killed Movi so this is more a desperate measure than anything else.

*mic drop*

September 12, 2014 at 9:50PM

Isaac Alonzo
Photographer / Cinematographer

fast forward to OCT 2016, were i ordered an M10 for 2500 euros (+vat) through a "flash sale". The times we live.

October 30, 2016 at 9:52PM

Orfeas

Still too expensive :)

September 13, 2014 at 9:08AM

Trust me it's worth it. or at least it has been for us. but it also looks like the M15 is finally shipping! They have a good trade in program that they give you almost or just about full credit to upgrade.
we were really pushing it on the m10 with an epic on it fully rigged.

September 13, 2014 at 11:38AM

Kazu Okuda
Filmmaker

i have no experience with the DJI Ronin. But clients are asking or using the term "MOVI" in the commercial industry now.
also those who learned to work and operate it early has an edge as far as booking jobs.
There's a lot of quirks but 6 months of using it has made me pretty familiar with it.
But the DJI Ronin is a consideration for budget and small packages.
i dont know where they are based off of but with the Freefly we are able to get replacement parts and also trouble shooting or even local techs fairly easily now.

September 13, 2014 at 11:42AM

Kazu Okuda
Filmmaker

...The DJI Ronin supports the SAME camera weight as the Movi M15, but costs one quarter of the price. So you could buy two DJI Ronin gimbals and it would still be HALF the price of the Movi M15.

People are asking for the name "MOVI" because it was the first on the market, but I don't think anyone will complain if you show up with a DJI Ronin instead.

September 13, 2014 at 2:35PM

Guy McLoughlin
Video Producer

You could buy FOUR DJI Ronin gimbals that support the SAME camera weight for the price of ONE Movi M15.

September 13, 2014 at 2:37PM

Guy McLoughlin
Video Producer

Your article doesn't mention that the new prices don't include remote controls....

September 14, 2014 at 8:47AM

nice. but still out of the cost to use for me. maybe when spring of 2015 and work starts picking up again.

September 14, 2014 at 9:28AM, Edited September 14, 9:28AM

Howard L Hughes
Content Creator

Movi you are too late. DJI Ronin as already killed your product.

September 14, 2014 at 10:03AM

Paul
Editor

The Ronin weight is a deal breaker. Any camera rig gets heavy pretty quickly even with a Movi. Can't imagine another five pounds.

September 14, 2014 at 9:57PM

You're absolutely right, Keith. The extra weight makes a big difference especially once you add a camera package on there. And Paul, there's plenty of wannabe Steadicam units you can by for a fraction of the cost yet Steadicam still dominates the market. So Ronin may steal some market share but I doubt MOVI is going anywhere. For my money, I'll take the lightweight carbon fiber over the heavy aluminum.

September 15, 2014 at 8:57PM

Dale Raphael Goldberg
Director/Editor

I can't help feeling I've seen this before. Remember all the hype a few years ago about all those low cost steadicam wannabes- glide cam, Nano, etc,.? - one of them is gathering dust in my closet right now. I'm not falling for this again.

September 14, 2014 at 11:44PM

Ed Wright
Director, DP, Writer

Buying a Ronin over the Movi is a no-brainer. For 3k the Ronin comes with a hard case, stand, consumer style battery, and remote control. It's an insane deal!! This won't be the last price cut either. As more companies get into the gimbal market, everyone's price is going to keep dropping. I honestly could care less about the weight of the Ronin. It's not like your going to be carrying it around for nonstop periods of time and can't set it down. In truth, I've held heavy glidecam rigs and although they can be heavy, when I'm shooting and am in the zone, I don't even think about what I'm holding. Plus it's a good workout win/win situation ;)

September 21, 2014 at 5:03AM