October 16, 2014

Offload from Red Giant Wants to Make Transferring Footage "Director-Proof"

Red Giant has created one of the simplest and seemingly fool-proof tools with Offload, which can not only back up footage in multiple places at once, but also provides checksum verification to ensure that the information copied matches what was on the card. While tools like ShotPut Pro have been pretty standard for a number of years, Offload at $50 for the full version is coming in at about half the price of ShotPut (though if you're doing this work professionally they are both very inexpensive for the piece of mind they give you).

Here's a walkthrough of the process of dumping footage with Offload:

Offload works with Windows or Mac, and is also included as part of the Shooter Suite which includes a number of programs like PluralEyes and BulletProof for $400. Here's more pricing info:

• New: $49
  • Crossgrade from BulletProof: $29 (BulletProof owners will get an email with a coupon code)
  • Shooter Suite 12.5 users: FREE  -  You can get the update HERE (in the latest Shooter Suite product installer)

While there is always something cheaper out there, it may not necessarily be easier. Stu Maschwitz, who works with Red Giant, mentioned two of my favorite things about the program:

Director-Proof

Offload is easy. There's nothing to learn. It has one screen, no options, and no catalog file to manage. You already know how to use it.

Visible From Space

You're on a shoot with a hundred things on your mind. You return to your laptop and try to remember if the card sticking out of it has been copied and backed up, or just copied, or hasn't been copied yet. Just me?

Offload's interface is big, colorful, and communicative. Gold means something's happening. Blue means done and safe. Red means bad. You'll know your copy progress at a glance, even from across a busy set.

This is not a tool to do proxies and transfers and make you coffee all in one go — it's simply a fool-proof file transfer system that should make things easier for everyone. It's also a great tool for people who may just be starting out, as it ensures the whole file structure of the card stays intact.

Beyond the free trial, Red Giant offers a 30-day money back guarantee, so even if you hate it, or don't find it useful beyond what you already do, you can get your money back anytime in those 30 days.

Learn more about the program and download/purchase over on the Offload page

looks cool, I like shot-put, but maybe this is simpler and prettier

October 17, 2014 at 12:17AM

Peter Staubs
Camera Assistant

And cheaper!

October 17, 2014 at 8:17AM

David S.

Nice. Going to buy for sure.

October 17, 2014 at 1:33AM, Edited October 17, 1:33AM

Lloyd Will
Film maker

just tried it with 4gb file.... failed at 65%... i guess I'm sticking with shotputpro...

October 17, 2014 at 8:15AM, Edited October 17, 8:15AM

frank apollonio
DP/Photographer

I'd love to know more about what failed. Maybe we can get that fixed.

Randon Morford
Offload PM

October 17, 2014 at 11:58AM

Randon

it ended up transferring, but it got stuck at 65%? i closed the app then reopened and it said 100%.... not a fail... but a glitch... its nice to see it go all the way to 100% when your on set and have people watching your work
... also... love the feature where you can pull the card after it copies to the master... very great when your working with less than optimal amount of cards

October 17, 2014 at 3:14PM

frank apollonio
DP/Photographer

im not sure if this is a feature already ( haven't been able to try it) but after you pull the card and the master is copying to the backup, Can you start a next card right away? or do you have to wait for the backup to finish?

October 17, 2014 at 4:01PM

frank apollonio
DP/Photographer

It failed for me to. Always gets stuck at "verifying checksum" after 100% on first copy.

October 18, 2014 at 3:08AM

Micah Van Hove
Writer
director, producer, dp

my 'o' key is stuck

October 18, 2014 at 3:10AM

Micah Van Hove
Writer
director, producer, dp

so, you can view the log in the program... but for real DIT work it needs to be put into the subfolder you transferred. I see there is a AVF info folder... but it doesn't bring up that checked log? it brings up a bunch of files...So OFFLOAD i hope you change that... make the log appear in the avf folder neater?

October 17, 2014 at 8:44AM, Edited October 17, 8:44AM

frank apollonio
DP/Photographer

Good feedback. We have considered this. I will add your vote for this to the tally.

October 17, 2014 at 11:57AM

Randon

I'm wondering how this app coupled with Red Giant's Bulletproof compares with Adobe' Prelude. Anyone have any thoughts or experience in that regard?

I'm using Adobe CC, which includes the most up-to-date version of Prelude. I can't tell from the Red Giant marketing stuff whether these apps offer anything that Prelude doesn't.

October 17, 2014 at 9:32AM

Shawn C
Charlotte-based Filmmaker & Photographer

I haven't looked at Red Giant because I'm with CC and Prelude is a dream. All the copying and transcoding a DIT could hope for.

October 17, 2014 at 12:44PM

Steve Yager
Filmmaker

Hey look! Thats me in the video :)

October 18, 2014 at 5:02AM

Dave Altizer
Director/ Editor

Assuming that you have common sense, what do these programs offer that doing it manually doesn't?

October 18, 2014 at 10:51PM

checksums

October 19, 2014 at 10:47AM

checksums

October 19, 2014 at 10:47AM

Simplicity and obvious visuals. It copies to two places with a click, and you can blatantly see if it is done or not because of the giant colored interface. It's just a step better than copying files over in Finder/Explorer with the addition of verifying the files copied correctly.

October 19, 2014 at 2:03PM

David S.

It's a good idea making automatic, one thing that all we do manual.

October 20, 2014 at 2:28AM

Ragüel Cremades
Film producer and director

Why didn't RG just put checksums and backup into their BulletProof product. It seems like they have two tools that do similar things. Isn't BP already supposed to be a downloader app?

October 20, 2014 at 9:45PM, Edited October 20, 9:45PM

I'm not sure I'd like this software if it gives me a "piece of" it's "mind"... lol

October 23, 2014 at 4:01PM

Rean Combrinck
Film Maker

Wow I was super excited about this because shotput doesn't allow me to put the program on my laptop and desktop with one license and is ugly as hell. Unfortunately offload has crashed on me several times and has completely failed to create sequential folder for each card. Really disappointed.

October 26, 2014 at 11:07AM, Edited October 26, 11:07AM