March 15, 2015

Will the New Canon 5D Mark IV Get 4K Video?

Canon 5D Mark III with 24-105
With price cuts and the fact that the Canon 5D Mark III is three years old, there's no question another model is on the horizon.

The Mark III's video mode was a slight refinement on the Mark II (and not much of a leap), but with advancements in technology over the last few years, it should theoretically be possible to put 4K video into a Mark IV. We've seen a few rumors so far regarding the camera, and while they vary slightly on specs, one thing they do have in common is 4K video.

First here is Canon Watch with some of the early rumored specs of the new camera that were reported on about a month ago:

• 24MP sensor
  • Dual Pixel CMOS AF III
  • New and more advanced AF system (compared to EOS 5D3)
  • 4k video
  • Anti-flickr technology (seen first on the 7D Mark II)
  • Improved video features
  • Crop mode (featured on the upcoming EOS 5Ds)
  • ISO 100-51200 (H1: 102400, H2: 204800

And here are the newest rumored specs from Northlight Images (which Canon Watch has given a 50% rating):

• 28MP Sensor
  • 9fps
  • 4K Video
  • August/September 2015 Release

Looking in from the outside these both seem plausible, but with the 50MP 5Ds and 5Dr models, it's not really all that necessary for Canon to keep raising the pixel count. Above 20 is plenty for most people, and there are negative consequences (for both video and stills) that come from trying to squeeze too many pixels onto the same size sensor.

Either way it looks like we may actually get 4K in an affordable full-frame Canon camera. Until we get closer these are just rumors, but Canon has been sitting on mounds of cash and I'm sure they've spent a bit on R&D at this point. The 1D C is currently the only Canon camera that can shoot 4K internally, and while that will probably change at NAB with new 4K EOS cinema cameras, that doesn't mean the vast majority of people will be able to afford them — and there are also many advantages to having a small 4K camera that can do both stills and video. Even if you don't plan on utilizing 4K for 4K, there are other benefits to shooting higher resolution, like stabilization and cropping in for multiple angles during an interview.

What would you like to see in Canon's next 5D?

4K

March 15, 2015 at 9:59AM

Rajneesh Bhandari
Multimedia Producer

Well, I already have a GH4 which does great 4K video, so personally I have no need for a 5D mark IV. When it appears, the mark IV might be a great photo camera with (finally) some better video features than the rather crippled mark III. (speaking about video features that is) I've been using DSLRs for over 25 years and been shooting video with them for some 5 years, but I now I find the mirrorless camera's (like the GH4) much more convenient for video. They are light, small (inconspicuous) and very easy to transport. In comparison I now find DSLRs quite bulky. For video, having that mirror in there has NO added value to me.

March 15, 2015 at 10:53AM

Erwin Hartsuiker
CineVideo-NL videographer

Sorry, should have said (D)SLRs since 25 years ago, I was using SLRs. No digital available then.

March 15, 2015 at 10:56AM

Erwin Hartsuiker
CineVideo-NL videographer

Hey Erwin, I got my GH4 a month ago and upon shooting some videos with it, I found that the blacks and shadows have incredible amounts of noise in them, even on ISO 400, on ISO 800 is starts to become unusable. I did various tests (I normally shoot on Cine-D) even in bright daylight when I do video tests and I have something black there it has big amounts of noise on it. Do you have the same problem? It might be a faulty sensor from Panasonic...

March 15, 2015 at 8:49PM

Tomas Uher
Director / Filmmaker

Hi Tomas,

No worries, I had the same effects once, but it all depends on your GH4 video settings! You have so many options there, and yes, some do cause noise in the shadows. It mostly happens when you use Cinelike-D with very high levels of highlight-shadow (+5) shadow correction and Luminance levels of 16-235. This is one of the early recommended settigins for video that's on the web. I am no longer using it. I now use this one:

Photo Style: natural with -5 on contrast (rest at 0)
Highlight shadow: I use only +2 on shadow and -5 on highlight
Idynamic + Iresolution: OFF
Master pedestal setting + 15
Luminance level 0-255.

This produces a very good low noise image for me, even when shooting at 1000 ISO in low light. During (normal) daylight, these settings also produce better skin-colours that Cinelike-D. I prefer my photo style to be as neutral as possible, I don't want my camera to do any "grading". I hope this will help you. Good luck!

March 16, 2015 at 4:37AM

Erwin Hartsuiker
CineVideo-NL videographer

I have been using similar settings on the natural profile and would have to agree with you.

March 16, 2015 at 11:45AM

John D. Smith
Cinematographer

Thanks I will check these settings out! T

March 17, 2015 at 9:16PM

Tomas Uher
Director / Filmmaker

Very infomative Erwin. We have ordered GH4 and can't wait to test ISO with your recommend setting. Canon may offer 4k with selling factor but won't be able to beat ergonomics of GH4.

March 17, 2015 at 10:06PM

redboxfilms
indie production house

Seems like these rumors never include info about the codec... no doubt it will be 4K, but with a low bit rate codec. So in the end it will still only be possible to do basic grades like the current generation.

March 15, 2015 at 12:04PM

Clayton Arnall
Camera Pointer

I'm inclined to speculate Canon non-cinema cameras will only offer 4K "built in" when ever other major camera does; reliable 4K with Magic Lantern is another thing.

March 16, 2015 at 2:25AM, Edited March 16, 2:25AM

Daniel Reed
Hat Collector

Kinda off topic but not.......the thing about Canon that kills me is...I bought a Canon100 and I love it except the one major flaw with it. The focus magnifying is god awful! The 5dMark II focus mag was 100 times better! Why on earth would you put such a shit focus magnify on a $5,000 camera that is dedicated to video.

March 15, 2015 at 2:06PM

mark dossett
FILM MAKER

The reason focus magnification on DSLRs is so nice is because the sensors have way more pixels than they need for video. So it can zoom in like 7x without going bellow 1920x1080. A camera like the c100 only has a 4k sensor, which is great for video (better low light and no/less aliasing/moire) but you can only have focus magnification like 2x without losing resolution.

March 15, 2015 at 10:10PM

Zachary Will
Cinematographer

5D Mark iv - 4K internally recorded using HEVC H-265 / Ilog, 24p/30p/60p High data rate w/ less compression; 25 megapixel sensor count, Dual SDXC or CFast compact flash. Low light performance comparable to Sony's A7s (actually, I have seen a canon cmos imager with better low light performance - approximately a year ago) Many of the 7D mark ii improvements. 2,700 - 3,200 price range.
I have the Samsung nx1, truly a great camera. Because of the imagery from the NX1 being absolutely great under the HEVC codec Canon can take a professional low compression, high-bit rate stab at it. I know the codec will be ubiquitous within the next 2 years and thus improving the cameras usability in the future.

March 15, 2015 at 2:34PM

Canon......get serious. Get rid of the mirror.

March 15, 2015 at 6:40PM

Jerry Roe
Indie filmmaker

...but it's DSLR not a video camera.

March 16, 2015 at 3:46PM

I'll be happy with crisp HD and good DR. I don't believe Canon will make a 4k capable 5d, that doesn't make sense since it is Canon.

March 16, 2015 at 12:06AM

Einar Gabbassoff
D&CD at Frame One Studio

i think even canon themselves haven't decided if they would put 4k in. they are still sitting and watching the market to see if they have to do it. technically it should be doable but canon is not about what's possible...

March 16, 2015 at 2:07AM

I'm putting my hope on this one. I have had the 5D mk2 for a while now and love the quality of stills. Using it to shoot video 1856x928 in raw with magic lantern gives really good result when grading in davinci. The only thing I miss is perhaps even better low-light performance and _higher resolution_.
Being both a photographer and a filmmaker I think the canon has given me the best thing out of two worlds. Taking photos with a viewfinder is nothing that I have had any good experience with (battery life, light in eye when dark, responsiveness etc). Focus is really fast on the canon and also very nice with the optical viewfinder. So, if the mk4 will have 4k (and there is hopes for magic lantern raw on that), then I will buy it. If not, I will probably keep my mk2 for stills and buy GH4 or similar for video, and probably never buy a canon again.

March 16, 2015 at 4:04AM

Joakim

Canon was the first to succesfully offer a integrated photo/video camera with the 5D mark II, which for it's time had very nice video features, including full frame full HD. They built a large group of fans with this! Then Canon choose to not pursue that, but rather to create an expensive separate video line (C100, C300 etc.). From a marketing perspective, this makes sense. Over the following years, they choose to not or hardly improve the video function on their DSLR line. So then they basically lost this large group of people entering video and filmmaking all over the world, who for the first time could do cinematic style shooting with a DSLR. That's why I switched to Panasonic. The GH4 offers really impressive 4K video, and good photo functions as well, at a price of around 1300 USD now (body). I do think that for most pro photographers, the mirror based DSLR camera still are the way to go, but for video, a camera with a mirror built-in makes no sense anymore to me. Panasonic (GH4) and Sony (A7S) are now leading in the hybrid camera market.

March 16, 2015 at 4:56AM

Erwin Hartsuiker
CineVideo-NL videographer

I have been shooting on my GH4 around 8 months now and love it. But I would have no problem buying a 5D with 4k. Chances that Canon will give us 4k with peaking seems minimal at best but we can always hope. I would have to assume that we would get a better looking 4k image out of a 5D when it comes to skin tones. But who knows, I'm sure I will eat my words when the GH5 comes out!

March 16, 2015 at 11:50AM, Edited March 16, 11:50AM

John D. Smith
Cinematographer

When is it (GH5) coming? Anyone predicted the price range?

March 17, 2015 at 10:18PM

redboxfilms
indie production house

Yes, skin tone in GH's is an issue. Color in general in GH's are an issue. Panasonic would do themselves a HUGE favor by improving the color scheme of the GH. It's the only real weakness the GH's have. Canon is all over Panasonic in the issue of color. Other than that, mostly in the issue of price, Canon can leave one wanting in the area of video.

March 18, 2015 at 1:07AM

Gene Nemetz
live streaming

Hi Gene,

I agree that Canon color science is generally better balanced for skin tones. I must say however that the "natural setting" I'm using on the GH4 is a great neutral setting and skin tones are fine when compared to my Canons. (Canon is still slightly better) But I have no worries there. I would say, that Panasonic is all over Canon now in terms of their 4K video quality, which is really impressive and incredibly detailed when compared to the rather fuzzy footage coming from Canon DLSRs (including the mark III) and even the C100. Apparently a real LOG mode is coming to the GH4 in the next firmware soon, making it an even more powerful video camera. All of that, with internal 4K recording on a standard SD card, for just 1300 USD. I think that is an amazing value.

March 18, 2015 at 6:32PM

Erwin Hartsuiker
CineVideo-NL videographer

I agree with you Erwin, the natural profile setting with a few parameters turned down to -5 has worked well for me too. I honestly have no regrets with the GH4 when you consider how little it costs. I look forward to seeing that "real" LOG mode that you mentioned!

March 19, 2015 at 11:05AM

John D. Smith
Cinematographer

Rather than focus on 4k I would have rather them focus on RAW video capabilities. We know it is possible, Canon is more focused on trying to protect their cinema lines rather than innovating and being a leader in camera advancements.

March 16, 2015 at 11:56AM

Walter Wallace
YouTuber

I think most people would have rather seen 4K in the C100 and not the 5DIV. Although, a 4K DSLR from Canon would be very appealing to me. I somewhat enjoy the small form factor of the 5D but cameras like the GH4 are just TOO small.

Everyone keeps looking to Canon to meet all their needs in a single affordable camera. That's not going to happen. This is a great camera for a starting filmmaker that wants to diversify their services. Having the ability to market yourself for both photography and film with just one tool can really help pay the bills.

March 16, 2015 at 3:55PM

Not true, most would like to see 4k in a dslr form factor from canon for under $2500 that matches Sony a7s in features and price. I'm probably going to sell my 5dmii for the Sony a7s.

March 16, 2015 at 4:20PM

Wouldn't we all want that? But that's not relevant to my claim. Also, the a7s doesn't shoot 4K internally.

March 16, 2015 at 9:10PM

My own experience when carrying and shooting with cameras all day: smaller and lighter is better. I wish they could make the GH4 even smaller.. :-)

March 18, 2015 at 6:39PM

Erwin Hartsuiker
CineVideo-NL videographer

I will be shocked if the rumored 4k 5D canon matches the price of the Sony a7s.

March 16, 2015 at 4:15PM

Canon.. You are going the wrong way. Better Dynamic Range, Higher Bit and a Real Codec. The rest of it is a dime a dozen

March 16, 2015 at 10:35PM

Give me H265 codec, Log-C, 4K up to 30P, HD up to 60P, Peaking, Full Frame 4K, good light sensitivity, and SDI id be very happy with that.

March 17, 2015 at 3:32PM

Caleb Rasak
Camera Operator / AC

H.265? An interframe-compressed, color-decimating codec? That's exactly what Canon has been doing wrong for years.

And full-frame 4K? Enjoy trying to keep that in focus. A Super-35-sized crop would be a much better option that gives you proper cinema DOF. Full-frame should be available as an option, perhaps, but Super 35 or APS is a must.

March 19, 2015 at 8:23PM

David Gurney
DP

It all sounds good. But I'm bracing for sticker shock.

March 18, 2015 at 1:13AM

Gene Nemetz
live streaming

You got to be an idiot to believe than 5D MK VI will have 4k. First of all Canon wants its EOS line to be for video not dslr. Second even the new C100 priced 5.5k doesn't have 4K why in the world they would put it in a dslr that priced less. Or you saying that new 5D MK VI is going to be more than 5.5K. Also Canon is to greedy to do any move forward since 5D MK III's sale are still to high. Stupid rumors got nothing to do but just make up BS to post.

March 18, 2015 at 7:38AM

gregory

Canon has never understood motion pictures, and this goes back to the lack of 24 FPS on the first 5D. Then you look at their "cinema" cameras, and their lack of a high-quality codec, raw, or on-board 4K.

Also consider Canon's failure to provide legitimate downscaling for video instead of the hideous line-skipping they have used in their SLRs for years. Did they ever fix that?

But really the lack of a proper codec reveals Canon's ignorance here. Who cares about sham "4K" at 30, 50, or even 100 Mbps in an interframe-compressed, color-decimating codec? Sure, maybe you can't cram the computing power to do JPEG2000/Redcode-style wavelet compression into an SLR, but give us ProRes at least.

If Canon is spending on R&D, it's a mystery what they're R&Ding. They still don't even have intervalometers on their cameras for time-lapse, which is just inexcusable on any camera at any price today. They're deleting excellent lenses from their lineup and replacing them with gimmicky IS models (example: the 35mm F1.4), and this will be the nail in the user-base coffin. The investment in lenses, and Canon's previously excellent lineup, is why people stay with the brand at this point. But as Canon flails deeper into the weeds with its clueless product lineup, people are simply going to resent being tied up in their lenses, sell the whole lot on eBay, and switch to a manufacturer that appears to be moving forward instead of moribund.

March 19, 2015 at 8:19PM, Edited March 19, 8:19PM

David Gurney
DP

internal (h265) 4K/30 + 1080/60
external (clean) 10bit 422

April 5, 2015 at 3:33PM

Apparently Canon 5D Mark IV "will be 1080p" with Canon LOG - EOSHD

April 20, 2015 at 8:13PM, Edited April 20, 8:13PM

Walter Wallace
YouTuber

Well... Now we know there will not be a "5D mk 4" at all. They will be breaking it off into DD and DSR

April 29, 2015 at 4:12PM, Edited April 29, 4:12PM

Walter Wallace
YouTuber

I don't mean to disappoint but the mark 4 will not have 4K video. Canon is going to protect their cinema line and they are not going to offer 4K video on a still camera. I would love to see this upgrade, but it is not going to happen.

"the company believes a 4K 5D Mark IV would completely overshadow the recently released C100 Mark II and so wouldn’t happen, but that Canon LOG would likely go into the camera to allow shot-matching with the XC10."

April 30, 2015 at 6:50PM