March 10, 2015

Super Powerful Noise Reducer, Dark Energy, is Now Just $89 for a Limited Time

Reducing noise from your footage can be done, but it's definitely not going to be cheap.

A grainy image full of artifacts and noise does not look pretty, which is why professionals use powerful denoising software to clean things up. However, these programs can run pretty steep, especially for independent filmmakers who are usually already strapped for cash as it is. But, if you've been waiting for a pro-quality tool that will do the job for you at a price you can afford, Cinnafilm is running a sale on their very popular, very powerful Windows-based noise reducing After Effects plugin, Dark Energy, reducing the $199 price down to $89 for the next 4 days (until March 14th) to celebrate Einstein's 100th birthday.

Here's a bit from the page description:

Dark Energy for After Effects has two powerful modules: Anti-Matter and Matter. Manage noise. Remove grain. Match footage. Or, just win the battle over Internet codecs. Less noise means fewer bits, which equals better video with less bandwidth.

Here are a few videos that'll get you acquainted with the plugin and everything it can do:

If you're interested in getting your hands on Dark Energy, all you have to do is email the code "SPOOKY" to info@cinnafilm.com and wait to receive more payment information. Again, the sale ends Saturday, March 14th, so head on over to Cinnafilm to learn more or to get yourself a free trial version of Dark Energy.

How does this compare to Neat? And why isn't there a Mac version?

March 10, 2015 at 11:10PM, Edited March 10, 11:10PM

I have Neat also and would love to know if this is worth the upgrade.

March 11, 2015 at 12:04AM

Joe Gunawan
DP/Camera Op/1st&2ndAC/Commercial Photographer

Stick with neat, is more than what you gonna need. Also Dark energy is almost the same.

March 11, 2015 at 1:16AM

Matias Rispau
Director

Not true, from my experience, Dark Energy provides far better results. Neat Video is a prosumer plug-in, whereas Dark Energy is an enterprise level restoration tool that has been ported into After Effects. This is a great deal and I wouldn't pass it up if I didn't already have the plugin.

March 12, 2015 at 11:55AM

I have Neat Video and just bought Dark Matter and started experimenting with it. The tools seem more comprehensive than Neat.

Also, with Neat I've had certain types of footage where it can't find a uniform pattern that works. I just tested those clips with Dark Matter and it cleaned up beautifully. No artifacts whatsoever. I also dig that 1) the spatial denoising is done on each channel separately rather than overall, and the temporal noise filter is REALLY good at cleaning the leftover artifacts.

What I haven't decided yet, is whether I like a grain overlay like my Impulz 4K grain, or the Matter plug in. I think I might stick with the Impulz grain, since it's (apparently) real scanned film grain.

March 11, 2015 at 2:05PM

E. David Nazario
Filmmaker

Its only for windows, Not a good deal for mac users.

March 11, 2015 at 12:11AM

Aurelien Brentraus
Director/Cinematographer

Why is the demo video set at it's highest resolution only 360p? That helps.

March 11, 2015 at 1:22AM

Jonathon Sendall
Stories

Does anyone know how this compares to Red Giant's Denoiser II?

March 11, 2015 at 4:27AM

I find it far superior Adam. I upgraded to Dark Matter when it first came out ( and was on special offer ). It is powerful, I prefer it to Neat, but both do a good job.
I would also add that the customer support has been fantastic the few times I've needed help - fast, friendly and accurate.

March 11, 2015 at 10:37AM

no mac :(

March 11, 2015 at 5:23AM

Simon Reichel
Director & Editor

>"We weren't allowed to make Kodak film stock grain presets out of respect"
Oh Jeez. I'm glad FilmConvert is around, at least they're charging money and delivering the goods. You can actually dial the look & grain structure of some old discontinued film stock. I prefer that mentality of preserving the legacy of film looks. Kodak itself would never do it.

March 11, 2015 at 10:32AM, Edited March 11, 10:32AM

Terma Louis
Photographer / Cinematographer / Editor

For me its still saying $199 on their website..??

March 11, 2015 at 11:36AM

"If you're interested in getting your hands on Dark Energy, all you have to do is email the code "SPOOKY" to info@cinnafilm.com and wait to receive more payment information."

March 11, 2015 at 1:44PM

Brad do you know the turnaround on this? Thanks.

March 12, 2015 at 1:54PM

Martha Yesenia Juarez
Photographer/Videographer

Einstein was born in 1879, his 100th birthday would have been in 1979. Knowledge is power, winning is half the battle, G.I. Joe!

March 11, 2015 at 1:18PM, Edited March 11, 1:18PM

That is correct, he would actually be 136! Nice find, and as an old school GI Joe fan, nice reference... Seriously how did I miss that one? I could have sworn someone told me that a few weeks back and it has been stuck in my head and I thought - "hey this is a special day let's have a sale" - so there you go.

On some of the other comments on which noise reducer is best, I will let you guys test and compare, as I already know. One big difference with ours is that this is not a set of simple noise reduction filters, but a high grade science that took years to evolve - this is why it is trusted in major restoration houses and on major titles. It was very difficult to port, and requires ridiculous compute cycles unlike anything else we do - which is why we are still a bit hamstrung to GPUs and windows, I'm afraid.

Ahh grain - well, we do it differently is all I can say. A long time ago (ca. 2005) our grain modeler was "actual grain" overlays from film scans, but that approach does not look right - it looks synthetic. So we developed our grain as micropools of dancing elements, through which the colors are "developed" like real film. And we patented it. Let's put it this way - a lot of studio blue ray DVD remasters of films use our grain because it looks more realistic. If you guys want, we could put on a class on how to exactly match any film grain you want, because "Matter" can do that, it just takes a little energy, but it is well worth it to create those libraries. If that is interesting, post here - we will come back and check soon.

OK that's it. Sale goes for another 40 hours or so. Happy 100th - doh - 136 Einstein - we miss you!

Cheers,
-CinnnaDude.

March 13, 2015 at 10:39AM

Only for Windows?! Too bad. I was totally sold on getting it.

March 12, 2015 at 11:15AM

Dave Gedney
Freelance DP, Editor, Director

I have HEARD (only heard, cannot confirm nor can we support) of people booting windows off Mac and making it work. Still needs an NVidia GPU though. You could always try it with the free download.

- CinnaDude