April 15, 2015
NAB 2015

Arri's New SkyPanel LEDs Offer Beautiful Soft Light & Incredible Versatility

At NAB yesterday, Joe Marine caught up with Mike Wagner of Arri to discuss the new SkyPanels:

And more videos for the SkyPanel LEDs:

The S60-C and S60-RP (the phosphor version) will retail for $6250 and $4500 respectively.You can get all of the tech specs for Arri's new lights in these handy pdf data sheets. Here's the one for the S60-C and the on for the S60-RP. The units are expected to begin shipping in September.

Be sure to check out our comprehensive post with up to date information about all NAB 2015 announcements.

No Film School's complete coverage of NAB 2015 is brought to you by Color Grading Central, Shutterstock, Blackmagic Design, and Bigstock.

No Film School's coverage of NAB is brought to you by Color Grading Central, Shutterstock, Blackmagic Design, and Bigstock

Any word on any photometrics, upgradability (i.e when Arri comes out with a Lighting Engine 2), or price point for the smaller versions? Also, its interesting to see the RP version retail for cheaper. I get that it lacks the colour control, but RP is attractive as it is. Thats a pretty steep price if they're trying to compete with either Kino or Cineo, who both have exceptionally better LED technology as it is (and this is coming from someone with an unconditional love for the newer L-series lights). Oh well, I guess its time to play the waiting game?

April 15, 2015 at 1:59PM

Aidan Gray
Director of Photography Assistant Camera | Gaffer

When I checked this thing out, it didn't seem that it would be that upgradeable as far as putting in a new system in it, but they weren't even shipping this one yet so I didn't think to ask about the next gen. There was a 30C at the end of the display line and the guy I spoke to said it would be cheaper but probably wouldn't be available for a while (like 6+ months I think)

I was pretty impressed with the LED technology in this light, it pulls 450w at peak power and the rep said people were comparing it to the 6k sky light at that intensity. So you could put 4 of these guys on one circuit and have nearly the equivalent of a 24k overhead light. I will say the dialing of the color temperature was very smooth and if you liked the L series this should be right up your alley.

Yup, it's heavy, and yup it's expensive but I think it's a light that you'll hold onto for a long time, it had XLR DMX hookups I believe an ethernet port, a usb port and a DC port so you could run it off battery if you needed to.

The RP version looked great too, but I think I'd rather just use C version at this price. Saw some interesting stuff from Creamlight as well might be a bit cheaper and also perform pretty well.

April 16, 2015 at 3:30PM

I wonder why nobody has done something like this before.

April 15, 2015 at 2:26PM

Edgar More
All

Which part? I like the full color mode on the thing, but remote phosphor is nothing new. Both Cineo and BBS Lighting has been doing that for years now.... the new Pipeline system that BBS has just brought out is Ice Light like tubes with a TLCI of 99 in tungsten mode.

Alas, as always... Arri products are heavily overpriced, and I guess we owner operators will have to wait till the competition comes out with something similar.

I would expect BBS going for the color thing now as well, since they already have the Area 48 Soft.

April 15, 2015 at 2:45PM

Torben Greve
Cinematographer

Also the weight?!! Wauw... it's a heavy sucker :S My Area 48 softs are 14 pounds each including v-lock mount and a battery.

April 15, 2015 at 2:48PM

Torben Greve
Cinematographer

Someone has: Gekko Kelvin Tiles

I have six of them. They are great EXCEPT that they overheat and segments of the lights flicker then shut off once that happens. I had some of them repaired/replaced but I note they've been discontinued now. So I guess maybe they just hadn't cracked the cooling at all.

It's a shame as with six colour LEDs I get much nice colour skin tone rendition from anything else I've tried except tungsten. It's better even than HMI, because it is tuneable. (Especially the tunable green-magenta shift which I find invaluable).

So despite the overheating problems and relatively low output, I still use mine constantly.

April 15, 2015 at 3:32PM

Hywel Phillips
Director / Cinematographer

This is what I need in life!

April 16, 2015 at 3:41AM

Max Ciesynski
Gaffer

If you're on a stage, a Mole Richardson 4k soft is a more
reasonable alternative... and... it lights a more broad
area.

April 16, 2015 at 7:59PM

In the remote phosphor realm, the first to do it that I know of is Cineo. With the HS, now there is the LS, Matchbox and a couple others ... Www.cineolighting.com. Then came BBS Lighting with the Area 48. I think RP is a great thing and it's what's needed as a flouracent replacement.
LED has come a long.... Can't wait to have large LED equivalents to 4k, 2.5 & 6k HMI.

April 19, 2015 at 1:17AM, Edited April 19, 1:17AM