June 10, 2015

Sony's New a7R II Brings Internal 4K & S-Log, Plus 5-Axis Sensor Stabilization

Sony a7r II Front
The flagship model in Sony's mirrorless line just got a massive upgrade, and it's one that filmmakers will love.

Today Sony announced the successor to their popular a7R stills camera. Aptly named the a7R II, the new camera brings a whole host of powerful new features, including 5-axis sensor stabilization like that found in the a7II, internal 4K recording to Sony's XAVC-S format, and a powerful new OLED viewfinder.

Here are the product videos that Sony has released thus far, including some early 4K footage:

Here are the specs and a few photos:

• 42MP Full-Frame Exmor R BSI CMOS Sensor
  • BIONZ X Image Processor
  • Internal 4K XAVC S Video & S-Log2 Gamma
  • 5-Axis SteadyShot INSIDE Stabilization
  • 399 Phase-Detect AF Points & 5 fps Burst
  • 0.5" 2.36M-Dot XGA OLED Tru-Finder EVF
  • 3.0" 1,228.8k-Dot Tilting LCD Monitor
  • ISO 102,400 and Silent Shutter Mode
  • Durable Reduced-Vibration Shutter Design
  • Built-In Wi-Fi Connectivity with NFC
  • Price: $3200

Sony a7r II Back

Sony a7r II Top

In terms of video functionality, Sony has introduced loads of features that were previously only available with their popular a7S, plus a few new ones that are worth getting excited for. Most importantly, the a7R II offers 4K recording internally, which means that there's no longer a need for an external recorder like the Shogun. Secondly, the 5-axis sensor stabilization will make shooting with third party lenses without built-in IS far more workable in many situations. Lastly, like the a7S and the a7II before it, the a7R II will allow users to shoot with Sony's S-Log2 gamma, and as a result, it's reasonable to expect that this camera will have respectable performance in terms of dynamic range.

The new camera likely won't have the same low light capabilities of the a7S due to its much more pixel-dense sensor. With that said, comparing any camera's low light ability to the a7S is a bit unfair, and I'd be surprised if the a7R II didn't hold its own against competitors in terms of its low light abilities.

At $3200, the a7R II is a bit on the pricier end of the mirrorless spectrum, but it's also far more capable as a stills camera than most of its competitors. It's expected to begin shipping later in the summer, and it will be available for pre-order from B&H on June 17th.

Perfect!!!! I'm in time for the comments. Heating up my pop corn

June 10, 2015 at 5:01PM

Well done, you can claim "1st' too. ;)

June 11, 2015 at 2:39AM

Stewart Fairweather
Cinematographer

4K at $3200. Still cheaper than an A7s + Shogun, yet double the GH4. Is Sony on drugs?

June 10, 2015 at 5:07PM, Edited June 10, 5:07PM

Sathya Vijayendran
Writer/Director/Editor

What's your point? I don't see why every camera needs to match the GH4's price. They are very different cameras and have different usages.

June 10, 2015 at 5:41PM

It's full frame, Sony is going to sell a ton of these!

June 10, 2015 at 6:21PM

matt

Having used both, whatever drugs Sony is on, are the right ones.
The GH4 is nice, but side by side with the A7s, the Sony image has more appeal, and you don't need fish-eye lenses to get a decent wide angle shot, which means you can get a wide without barrel distortion.
The A7r2 will be the same, able to take full advantage of fast full-frame Primes.

June 11, 2015 at 2:42AM, Edited June 11, 2:43AM

Stewart Fairweather
Cinematographer

That high framerate! TALK MORE ABOUT THE HIGH FRAMERATE!

June 10, 2015 at 5:21PM, Edited June 10, 5:21PM

Michael Van Ostade
Director

The go-cart video wasn't shot on this camera it's just demonstrating the auto focus. Typical marketing BS.

But yes, I'm keen to see some high speed footage and specs.

June 10, 2015 at 8:39PM

matt

June 10, 2015 at 8:39PM, Edited June 10, 8:39PM

matt

EOSHD is telling it can shoot 980FPS in a lower resolution, possible 480fps in 720p... that's what i hoped to discuss

June 11, 2015 at 5:29AM

Michael Van Ostade
Director

I see, its the other RX camera's that have the insane 960fps...too bad

June 11, 2015 at 5:38AM, Edited June 11, 5:38AM

Michael Van Ostade
Director

I want this camera so bad but I need to not.

June 10, 2015 at 5:26PM

Brooks Reynolds
Director/DOP

Wow, exciting! This is good news that Sony may be bringing this tech to the video warriors camera, the next A7s.

Internal 4k + SLog + 5 axis Sensor Stabilization will take their camera to mythical godmode status.

June 10, 2015 at 5:33PM

Am I the only one to find the images of the example video ugly ? Ok it's it's sharp but the dynamic range is really poor and the colors oversaturated. Those images looks to come out of a prosumer camcorder. Was it film in S-log ?

June 11, 2015 at 5:40AM

AvdS

Agree. The colors out of this AlR II aren't so great in this example. Highlights are rather blown out. (mountains/snow) Let's blame it on the early version of the camera. Details looks good though. I do wonder about rolling shutter effects. We'll see. I would wait for the A7S II as I expect it to have better video features, especially for low light. We don't really need 42 Megapixels either for video.

June 11, 2015 at 1:46PM

Erwin Hartsuiker
CineVideo-NL videographer

Hmm, I did not double post this. Bug?

June 11, 2015 at 1:46PM

Erwin Hartsuiker
CineVideo-NL videographer

true - and over sharpened if anything.
But I've noticed that every single one of these official launch Sony videos usually looks like this. Over-saturated, over-sharpened in cam, etc. even for cinema cameras like F55.
When DoPs actually get their hands on them and dial everything back, it usually turns out much better than expected.

June 11, 2015 at 3:09PM

Brian Charles Lehrer
DoP + Director

Very curious what the A7s II will offer over this for video-shooters (and when it will come out).
Besides less pixels on sensor and thus better sensitivity I would imagine. (though apparently the A7r II will have much better sensitivity than the previous R because of the backlit sensor)
Hopefully better rolling shutter. I was waiting to buy the A7s II but this seems to tick most of the boxes already.

June 10, 2015 at 5:39PM

Brian Charles Lehrer
DoP + Director

I imagine better sensitivity and dynamic range?

June 10, 2015 at 6:45PM, Edited June 10, 6:45PM

Steven Bailey
Writer/Director/Composer

Did the A7s have better dynamic range beyond it's implementation of Slog (which the R mkII now has)? As in, if they both have Slog, will the A7s still have better dynamic range and why? Just the bigger pixels?
How many stops does the A7ii with S-log have currently for video? Not 14 like A7s?

I'm honestly asking.

June 10, 2015 at 8:26PM

Brian Charles Lehrer
DoP + Director

I did a little digging to find out. Looks like it might be an Slog thing. This article has a very tough dynamic range shooting situation (bright white snow on a sunny day), and it looks to hold up just fine for the A7sII.

June 11, 2015 at 12:08PM

Steven Bailey
Writer/Director/Composer

Sony is throwing blows every direction, the funny part is that they are landing.

June 10, 2015 at 5:45PM

Edgar More
All

Hopefully more from Sony pushing the boundaries like this will inspire the competition to try and keep up somewhat

June 10, 2015 at 5:50PM

Tom Hornblow
Camera operator, Steadicam

Yes.... Those specs makes me wonder how amazing the next a7s II will be.... Really no point what so ever to wait and see what outdated crap Canon brings to market with the next 5D

June 10, 2015 at 5:52PM, Edited June 10, 5:53PM

Torben Greve
Cinematographer

I want 6k for 6 dollars. F*ck you Sony. Next!

June 10, 2015 at 5:57PM

Derek Olson
Directomatographeditor

i would be very curious to know how much of a different the low light is between this and the a7s. this could be the deal breaker for me.

June 10, 2015 at 6:03PM

Mark K.

Given that this is a 42 Mpx camera versus a 12 Mpx camera, I would expect the A7S to be at least 2-3 f-stops better in low light conditions.

June 10, 2015 at 6:14PM

Guy McLoughlin
Video Producer

(duplicate)

June 10, 2015 at 6:14PM, Edited June 10, 6:15PM

Guy McLoughlin
Video Producer

But seriously though. Sony is showing its muscle with its economies of scale. To an extent, every other camera maker is a boutique company in comparison to Sony. They've got more money for R&D, and can rush things to market with their enormous manufacturing capacity. The only problem is that Sony products come out so fast they devalue everything in the marketplace including their own products. What's an A7s going to be worth when the Mark II comes out one year later? It's like the Iphone upgrade. They are so intent for some reason on destroying their competition that they might end up destroying the market in general. At least Canon gives you some satisfying years with your gear before it loses all resale value. My 7D is still worth around half of what I paid for it 6 years ago. What's an F3 go for these days on ebay relative to it's initial price? On one level it's good I guess because everyone can have the a camera as good as a F55 for 1/10th the cost, but as things get cheaper so does the premium of owning a top tier system and a lot of people's incomes depend on that distinction. It's just a race to the bottom. That being said, this camera looks sick!

June 10, 2015 at 6:14PM, Edited June 10, 6:13PM

Derek Olson
Directomatographeditor

Speaking of which, I have an f3 on eBay right now if anyone's interested...

I think the thing is with the sony stuff you have to figure out how to get your money's worth out of it. Which is to say quickly. DSLR's are nice because when they become outdated video tech they are still pretty good still cameras but with a "pro" camera like the f3 when it became outdated it was pretty much just "not an f5". That being said I just did a stunt shot with the f3 and an odyssey 7q and that footage still looks really great (even if it's not 4k!)

June 10, 2015 at 6:43PM

Hiring people based on their ability to tell stories (vs. what sort of gear they own) is a good thing, right?

June 10, 2015 at 6:46PM

Steven Bailey
Writer/Director/Composer

Yes, but they're doing a good job stealing market share. We use to be all Canon here at our studio. 6d, 5d mark iii, c100, c300, and accessories. Now we're switching everything over to Sony because Canon is now garbage compared. The only real issue we have is our investment in Canon lenses, but even that has decent workarounds with adapters. Keep up the good work Sony and can't wait for the a7s II

June 10, 2015 at 7:28PM

Never understood when folks complained about innovation coming too fast. It's always too slow for my taste. And Canon just refuses to innovate its video products for years at a time, that's a sorry way to maintain shelf life.

June 11, 2015 at 2:29AM

J Robbins

I don't have a dog in this fight, but I will say Canon Cx00 series is a dream to use. I've also used Sony FS7. Great image but the design/menus/buttons are a nightmare. Canon is a bit overpriced but I feel that alot of people who want a solid camera will still choose Canon. With image quality ONLY in mind, I'll agree that Sony is kicking butt right now.

June 11, 2015 at 10:09AM

I would say calling Canon "garbage" in comparison is really just a ridiculous exaggeration. And didn't the A7R come out like a year ago? Will it be yearly iterations now? We're already talking about the A7s mark ii, it's only 6 months old. That's ridiculous. No company can compete with a behemoth that's willing to eat its own children just to try to put competitors out of business. It's like Walmart. If this trend continues we'll have two camera choices in 10 years: Iphone and Sony.

June 12, 2015 at 3:42AM, Edited June 12, 4:05AM

Derek Olson
Directomatographeditor

Looks fantastic on paper. Hopefully all of this holds up once people have a chance to actually shoot with it. ( I'm curious about rolling-shutter, dynamic-range, and recording bit-rates )

June 10, 2015 at 6:17PM

Guy McLoughlin
Video Producer

Honestly I don't think Sony will be able to make enough of these to keep up with demand. Going to be seriously back-ordered!

June 10, 2015 at 8:35PM

Isaac Alonzo
Photographer / Cinematographer

Does the EVF have focus peaking in it?

June 10, 2015 at 8:46PM

Clayton Arnall
Camera Pointer

It will the a7s does. its a mirror of the rear screen.

June 10, 2015 at 9:31PM

It will the a7s does. its a mirror of the rear screen.

June 10, 2015 at 9:31PM, Edited June 10, 9:31PM

The harshly clipped snow on the opening shot doesn't instill a ton of confidence in this camera's dynamic range. Hopefully the s-log mode will have better DR. I expect it to have a lower "Native ISO" so we won't have to use 10 stop ND just to open up past f/5.6 in daylight. Additionally, I hope they also have figured out some of their shadow noise issues and added in some dynamic range into the shadows. Also crossing fingers for better rolling shutter. One can hope right? Cautiously optimistic.

June 10, 2015 at 8:52PM, Edited June 10, 8:52PM

Scott Crozier
Director of Photography

It's still 4:2:0 colorspace. Who know maybe the video dynamic range is somewhere near the GH4. We will see, but still 4:2:0 :(

Damn blackmagic introduced the BMCC with HIGH DYNAMIC RANGE and 12-BIT with 4:2:2 colorspace 3 years ago and still no one has topped that for the price (hardly even themselves). Their 4k camera is worse than their original camera.

June 11, 2015 at 12:45AM

Color subsampling doesn't affect DR, at least not in a meaningful way. The a7S in 1080p 420 has around three stops better DR than the GH4 in 4K 422.

I expect that the DR of the a7R II will be on par with that of the a7S, because both use the same gamma curve (slog2).

June 12, 2015 at 6:21AM

Great to hear. If they've done it to the A7R they will definitely do it to the A7s.

I will wait for the A7s because its 4K existing sensor doesn't downscale as the A7R has to do. There seems to be aliasing on the horizontal roof at 18-22sec as a result.

A7s has NO aliasing (unless in 120fps mode).

June 10, 2015 at 9:43PM

Have you guys ever heard of renting

June 10, 2015 at 9:57PM, Edited June 10, 9:57PM

Ring ring..
You: Hello
Client: I need an extra shooter tomorrow are you available? I've got $600 budgeted for the day.
You: Oh boy!
Client: Great, bring your camera, lenses and tripod to this location.
You: Camera, lenses and tripod sure. Call the camera house, provide them with a certificate of insurance, place the order for the equipment I will need. It will cost $600 for a FS7, two lenses, and the cheapest tripod they have. Hire a P.A. to pick up that equipment and have it at the location when I arrive on my bicycle.
Client: Nevermind.
You: That stupid client was not worth my time, if they can't afford me, I would rather not make $60 per hour.

June 12, 2015 at 4:16AM, Edited June 12, 4:19AM

Derek Olson
Directomatographeditor

120fps = 720p ??

The a7s mk2 is definitely coming!

It will probably have a better DM for video and more log profiles.

Also I don't have too high hopes for the Panasonic GH5 nor the Canon 5D Mk4 .... Canon has just released the XC10, so the mk4 will have 4k video but it will be crippled to low bit rates and still 4:2:0 color space.
I think since Panasonic has gotten onto the bandwagon with their high end Varicam that the GH5 will be crippled too since they have a higherend camera to look after.

Just my 2 pences !!!!!!!!!!

June 11, 2015 at 12:36AM, Edited June 11, 12:41AM

Exciting but this shows an a7s could have internal 4k without the line doubling and diminished light capture of the a7rII. Any guesses when or if there will be an a7s II?

June 11, 2015 at 2:24AM, Edited June 11, 2:24AM

J Robbins

Couple of thoughts come to mind.
First is to scream and pull my hair out at Pentax, who had the same sensor shift technology in the K-5 (which has been out of production for quite some time) for video and stills, but which they've disabled in recent models.
Annoying as heck when you own a bag full of classic Pentax Primes,..... which incidentally look very nice on a mates A7s :)
Second is to laugh at people who are whining about having just forked out on a Shogun, with the new Sony recording 4K internally,.. The Shogun will still record the 4K in ProRes or DNG, you won't get that internally from the A7r2.
And your Shogun can work as an SDI based recorder and player.
( So quit yer whinin',... )
The only question on that front is whether the A7r2 ( and expected A7s2 ) will have 10bit 444 output from the HDMI.
Third is to ask, does the A7r2 still have the plastic section in the lens mount, or has the all metal mount from the A7s been carried over?

Yes, $3200, and I'm assuming that's US dollars, is a bit steep, but for a full-frame 4K camera with s-Log, heck, add a Shogun on top and you're still cheaper then a Cion with no lens or viewfinder, cheaper then anything by Red, cheaper then a KiniMini4K, cheaper then an FS7, cheaper then Canon's entire 'C' range.
Heck, even a secondhand XL-H1s will set you back more then that.
Frankly, Sony is kicking everyones butt right now with a brilliant range, about the only thing they haven't done is gotten the NEX-VG900 to record 4K too.
And lastly, who at Sony is the Star Wars fan with these names, they're beginning to sound more and more like the Droids we just have to have!

June 11, 2015 at 2:37AM, Edited June 11, 2:55AM

Stewart Fairweather
Cinematographer

New camera release timeline in the blogosphere
weeks leading up to new product announcement:
it's going to have internal 4k RAW sampled from 200MP sensor! no pixel binning! DR is somewhere in the vicinity of 40 stops! has 50 XLRs! Data rates are out of this world! Slo-mo to beat Phantom Flex! Picture quality/skin tones as good as Alexa! (or if it IS an Alexa...better than their last one!) Weighs next to nothing! Batteries last a week and cost 5 cents each!
product announcement:
Sony/Panasonic,/ Blackmagic/ RED/ Alexa/ Canon have just released the AF50s7 Warhammer Mini! RRP 20 cents*! (*viewfinder, handle, buttons, power cable, shoulder mount, case available as optional items)
next four months before product is actually available:
selling all my Canon/ Panasonic/Red gear to buy this now! sight unseen!
gamechanger! DSLR killer!
arguments develop over proposed specs and likelihood of them being true
arguments develop over whether said new camera is overpriced/underpriced or just right
fanboys of all makes go to war
on product release:
400 videographers/cinematographers trip over each other to be "the first" to put footage online, local councils report high rates of congestion at pools, ponds, parks and other public spaces and ban filming without permits anywhere
look at my new camera! it's the best bang for buck ever!
I can shoot focus pulls of roses/ducks/geese/dogs/cats/people and see the shadowy bits and the sunny sky...in super slo-mo!
I shot my feature movie/doco/music vid on it and it's the best!
fanboys of all makes go to war over perceived value for money/picture quality etc
a little while later:
I don't like the colour of the case, I don't like the way it sits on my shoulder, I don't like the menu structure, I wish it had more stops of dynamic range, my batteries only last me 6 days...and so on
I'm hoping v2 of the firmware will fix everything that doesn't work properly yet
When is Sony/Panasonic,/ Blackmagic/ RED/ Alexa/ Canon going to release MKII of this? it better have...(insert higher spec of everything here)
I hear NAB will have some pretty exciting news this time...can't wait! so ready to move on from this camera!

June 11, 2015 at 3:45AM

Internal 4K in proper codec + reduced rolling shutter in A7S mk2. Make it so, SONY.

June 11, 2015 at 3:58AM

Terma Louis
Photographer / Cinematographer / Editor

Im worried about the low light capabilities and dynamic range. I think ill just go with the a7S + shogun, since i want to do a lot of adventure filmmaking.

June 11, 2015 at 4:38AM

eric broski
Professional life liver

Really interested to see the new DSC-RX10 II in addition that will be coming out. Has 480fps in full hd. Will be nice to see how this works as a b cam too.

June 11, 2015 at 10:14AM, Edited June 11, 10:14AM

Mark K.

My big thing is that I am assuming this camera will retain the same minimum ISO in slog as what was introduced for the a7II...1600. 1600 is still tough, but nowhere close to the amount of ND needed for the a7s @ 3200. I'll stick with this camera and the specs listed here vs a new low light a7s II.

June 11, 2015 at 10:31AM

Dan P
Doc Filmmaker

The way I see it, this means the end for Panasonic.

The MFT business was never really booming and 80% of the MFT Photographers go for Olympus cameras anyway. Panasonic only had the Hybrid and filmmaking market.

Whereas Olympus might survive because many Photographers really dig the lighter equipment bag, filmmakers will always carry the extra weight for more flexibility while filming. It doesnt matter if we talk low light capabilities, full frame look or in body stabilization there will not be a reason to own a Panasonic camera in the future except for the price. And the market of sub $2k interchangeable lens professional video cameras will not be big enough to survive.

June 11, 2015 at 12:05PM, Edited June 11, 12:16PM

Paul-Louis Pietz Pröve
director / dop / editor

To me, this is the ultimate travel-camera. IBIS and internal 4K for video. 42 sharp and rich megapixels for capturing beautiful stills and timelapses. This is what I hope the 5D Mark IV also will deliver. Until now I saw the Canon 1DC as the best-of-both-worlds camera - not the price though.

June 11, 2015 at 12:50PM, Edited June 11, 12:51PM

Martin Håndlykken
Freelance ENG, videographer and editor

Bla.. Bla... Bla... Where is information how much stops and the most important information: dynamic range??!!!! 10 bit or 14 or 16 bit??

June 11, 2015 at 2:46PM

Nice upgrade. For those of us who love the A7s low light capabilities, I doubt this version with the high pixel count and all, will be able to compete with it in low light environments. On the other hand all the other specs and features are great!

June 11, 2015 at 3:26PM, Edited June 11, 3:26PM

J. Fandino
Drone sales at www.providentialsystems.com

Still just 8-bit video. The GH4 at least does 10-bit with an external recorder. I love the A7S for its low light capability, but full frame is not the answer for video. Too much rolling shutter (some people shoot in the APS-C mode to avoid it) and focusing at wide apertures is a challenge. There are plenty of nice wide angle lenses for M43, BTW.

June 11, 2015 at 5:06PM, Edited June 11, 5:06PM

Seriously do not care at all. Still shooting on my bmpcc to this day. I'm so done with chasing gear.

June 11, 2015 at 7:59PM

Don Way
Writer/Director of Photography

Upon closer inspection - the dynamic range is pretty good. That snow top mountain is probably way over key - and it still looks decent. The whites on the buildings later in the idea hold well. I doubt they are using SLOG on these 4K marketing videos judging by the varying ISO stated.
So there's probably at least 2 more stops of DR with S-Log hiding in there.
And at ISO3200 at night, it's looking basically clean. Even if it's not the crazy levels of A7s, this is still awesome guys.
I mean...an Alexa is noticeably noisy at ISO3200...this is more than most people need. (speaking from experience shooting Alexa)
If the rolling shutter is decently improved (even if it's only in Super35 mode), this is an amazing portable filmmaking tool.

I wonder though...with the premium price of $3200 - is it possible they aren't even releasing an A7s ii? Could this absorb the S model?
Cause if memory serves the A7s was MORE expensive than the original R. So if that holds true the mark ii will be above $3200.

June 11, 2015 at 8:04PM, Edited June 11, 8:59PM

Brian Charles Lehrer
DoP + Director

Not likely. The A7S mk2 is coming. Judged on the fact that the lower cost RX10mk2 has 980fps (250fps in full HD). The A7R 2 is crippled here, so that an upcoming A7S mk2 might have more features on the video side.

June 11, 2015 at 9:46PM

I'll wait for the A7s Mark 3, it will be out by Movember.

June 12, 2015 at 4:27AM

Derek Olson
Directomatographeditor

You do that, hopefully it will deliver 10bit 4:2:2 colorspace too. Just like Blackmagic did 3 years ago.

June 12, 2015 at 11:08PM

Kudos to Sony on the release of a brilliant camera that will definately be on big productions as a B cam! I also wish to add that I think their a7s mk2 line will definately not make this camera redundant ... rather one could think of them as the old Eastman 5254 'normal' stock and 5247 'high speed' stock. Both are welcome on the set!

June 12, 2015 at 1:10AM

Suck.... 8-bit video... Who need it? Black magic camera rules for ever...

June 12, 2015 at 8:08AM, Edited June 12, 8:08AM

Having just recently bought an A7s, seeing this really changes the way i think about investing in Sony gear. This has alot of features that i wish my A7s had, however i am guessing that if sony releases an a7sII it will be "bigger" and better. In-spite of the fact i am glad that i made the choice to purchase the A7s. Cant wait to see in dept test shots and reviews to see how they compare.

Also I am guessing that this camera will be very hot when recording internal 4k (just a thought).

June 12, 2015 at 9:37AM

4:2:0 colorspace... darn, that sucks.

June 12, 2015 at 4:55PM, Edited June 12, 4:55PM

Razor
VFX Colorist

Yep, I am still waiting for a camera that outclasses the BMCC (4:2:2 colorspace with 12-bit). Even Blackmagic themselves seem to have a hard time outdoing their initial release.

June 12, 2015 at 11:09PM

Full-frame is a poor choice for video. As is the hugely excessive megapixel count.

June 15, 2015 at 10:17PM, Edited June 15, 10:17PM

David Gurney
DP

I actually got to play with this for an Adorama review. I spoke with the Sony rep. Some other info, which I forgot to mention in my review, is that the S-Log now starts at 800 ISO. Also the rolling shutter is supposed to be completely gone. I was using a preproduction model and couldn't record to card so I couldn't check it, but I'd be surprised if it's not true.

I'm excited for this camera. I asked about the a7s mark ii and he didn't know/couldn't tell me.

Also, the autofocus with a metabones adapter and canon glass was very fast.

June 20, 2015 at 2:03AM

Alex DePew
Cinematographer

So the A7s ii has great low light, but still not as great as the A7s, correct?
And is it confirmed that the A7s ii will be 4:2:0 8bit?

If so, wouldn't it be better to get an A7s and a shogun, giving you the 4k and better bit rate for... A few hundred more? Am I wrong, thinking this?

September 13, 2015 at 10:54PM