June 8, 2015

You Can Now Watch 8K Videos on YouTube For Some Reason

Just when you think you've seen everything there is to see, you stumble across an 8K video on YouTube.

The video comes from none other than Luke Neumann (whose awesome hallucination tutorial we just posted), and who, armed with a 6K EPIC DRAGON and an attitude that "4K is so early 2015," captured these lovely shots of a ghost town, used some post-production slight of hand to boost the resolution, and then uploaded the video to YouTube in full 8K:

While I have no idea how exactly Luke managed to pull off this absurdly high-resolution piece, he does offer a few hints in the description of the video and a few more down in the comments section:

Filmed on the RED Epic Dragon 6K in Portrait orientation and then stitched together in Adobe After Effects. Get one shot. Cut. Pan left. Get another. Pan Right. Get another.

Some shots simply scaled up by 125% from 6.1K to meet the 7.6K standard. Handheld stuff was just 6K FF. Scaled up by 125% and sharpened up a bit more than the others. The slider shots that had the secondary pan/tilts in them were also 6K FF.  The true 8K shots were the ones that just had pans or tilts or simple dolly moves with no pan/tilt action.

While this is definitely a pretty cool technological achievement on Luke's part, and a pleasant surprise in terms of YouTube actually supporting the streaming of content that large, it's probably not a harbinger of a future in which we're all shooting and streaming 8K videos. Anyhow, I'd love to hear your thoughts about this video, so share them with us down in the comments!

when people start talking about the 4K there was already someone talking about 4K was a transition to 8K. maybe it's true.

June 8, 2015 at 3:42PM, Edited June 8, 3:42PM

No you can't...because you don't have an 8k monitor.

June 8, 2015 at 4:10PM

Pat Heine
Producer.

Honestly I had a couple requests from a distributor for some 8K content. TV companies looking for showreel stuff. The stitching process is pretty simple, exactly like doing a panoramic photo. It gets tough when there is a lot of movement in the shot so I would have to freeze frame problem areas and mask stuff out. Lot's of post work...

All in all, I don't think YouTube is quite ready for 8K playback yet...even though it's enabled. This was more of a test to see how it played actually.

The scale up from 6K FF on the Dragon for the handheld shots isn't bad at all. 6,144 to 7,680. 25% scale increase. A little extra post sharpening and they hold up well next to the "true" 8K shots.

June 8, 2015 at 4:23PM

Luke Neumann
Cinematographer/Composer/Editor

Luke, you are now famous across the globe ... or, at least, in Russia.

June 12, 2015 at 12:12PM

Dan Leo

FYI, I have been doing this for years. Did it with my T2i to get 4K back in the day.

June 8, 2015 at 4:34PM

Luke Neumann
Cinematographer/Composer/Editor

Ha! I love the title of this article. Man, I can't see anything 8k about this video. Looks like 2k. :-/ But yeah... I don't have an 8k monitor either. Played it at 1080 and it looks the same.

P.S. Those eggs look delicious.

June 8, 2015 at 5:31PM

Donovan Vim Crony
Director, DP, Editor, VFX, Sci-Fi Lover

In order to see this video in 8k you have to get one monitor, pan left, then get another, pan right, then get another. Like that until you get frustrated.

Anyway, seeing a 8k video on a true 8k monitor should be the tits.

June 8, 2015 at 6:50PM

Edgar More
All

Haha yes!

June 10, 2015 at 3:31AM

Aditya V Iyer
Cinematographer

How large would a monitor have to be to able to natively project 8k footage?

June 10, 2015 at 3:31AM, Edited June 10, 3:32AM

Aditya V Iyer
Cinematographer

It's funny, if you hadn't of told me I wouldn't have guessed this was anything over 5.232k.

Go figure.

June 8, 2015 at 6:58PM

Lane McCall
Producer/Director

LOL! I had to log in just to say LOL to your comment.

June 10, 2015 at 12:53AM

Gene Nemetz
live streaming

Luke, I think you get an A+ for creativity and pioneering. My 114Mbps download speed just couldn't handle it - it buffers for a second and then bursts into flames. Your video is like Ivan Drago staring me down "I will break you."

June 8, 2015 at 8:36PM

Dumb. On every level.

Human eye past 5 feet on a 50 inch TV can't see the difference between HD and 4K. 8K... Pffft

June 9, 2015 at 1:06AM

While this is true...I personally don't have the vision to sit 6-10 feet away from any TV and enjoy it. When watching a movie/tv/game I am up in the 2-4 foot area. I can usually notice the difference between 1080p and 4K. That's just me though. It's actually a big difference for my viewing habits.

June 9, 2015 at 11:15AM

Luke Neumann
Cinematographer/Composer/Editor

These long distances for standing away from the tv are not for noticing differences. They are for noticing them at the optimal level of difference. If you're 3 feet away, and seeing the difference at 75% of optimal, you're still seeing a difference. I'm not into stressing over being at the optimal distance away from the screen. I am just fascinated at the look of higher K's. I can't wait for more. I'll see the difference. And I'm happy. :-)

June 12, 2015 at 12:19AM

Gene Nemetz
live streaming

This is an impressive achievement, I'm sure that this will look fantastic when I get my Bionic eye implants in 2050.. But seriously, I applaud the ingenuity and the effort to make this piece.. Regardless of the ability of mere humans to see the actual resolution, we need pioneers like this to push the limits of our craft.. This took effort, thought and gumption to accomplish Luke, kudos!!!!

June 9, 2015 at 1:18AM, Edited June 9, 1:20AM

Scott Bryant
Creative Director

Thanks Scott :)

June 9, 2015 at 11:17AM

Luke Neumann
Cinematographer/Composer/Editor

I hit play and leaned back to enjoy, until my Wifi router started making a weird humming noise which got incrementally louder until it burst into flames. I barely got to the fire extinguisher before the roaring yellow tips licked my Canon 7d and digital copy of how to be a dslr filmmaker. Thanks.

June 9, 2015 at 3:50AM

Derek Olson
Directomatographeditor

wow 8K looks SOOOO much better than 4K on my 1080 display, not to mention the choppiness adds a great "raw" quality to the music video. Great work! Lol.

June 9, 2015 at 12:13PM, Edited June 9, 12:13PM

4k 8k 16k 32k 64k and so on.TV manufacturers learned how stitch a bunch of pixels with another bunch. And everytime they say it is better and sharper and bla bla... but in the end of the day it is just a grid of pixels. Soon we'll be able to see microbes on an actor's face on a 100k tv. Why do I need that? But anyway, nice experiment and video.

June 9, 2015 at 3:27PM, Edited June 9, 3:35PM

Einar Gabbassoff
D&CD at Frame One Studio

Color is richer and richer the higher K's are going. We all can be happy about that. And you have a far more latitude with what you can do with filters, lenses, settings, etc., when shooting, and with the video in post after shooting, as K's go higher. 16K is feasible with current technology. We'll see it soon. Graphene being rapidly developed makes going well beyond 16K doable. Holographics are also a possibility of higher K's made using graphene.

June 13, 2015 at 7:44PM

Gene Nemetz
live streaming

The brain can register the difference in higher K's. Maybe there will be diminishing returns from going into higher K's. There will always be room for higher bits in color, greater dynamic range, more low light sensitivity, etc. at the point it looks like going higher in K's is not worth the diminished return. I am loving this rapid growth in video/photo quality! Richer-ness in color is one area no one talks about with higher resolution. But that is one thing that stands out in higher K's. Long live the dash to higher K's!!!

June 10, 2015 at 1:00AM

Gene Nemetz
live streaming

Interesting to see Youtube pushing 8k so early on. I was just reading an article about the making of Tomorrowland in this months ASC mag and how it was a big deal shooting for a 4k master on the Sony f65. They were shooting pretty wide open so apparently it gave the focus pullers a solid work out!

We're planning on starting to master our films to 4k from our Dragons 6k source, but I think my clients are a long way off insisting on 6k master, let alone 8k!

Also interesting how many films get nominated for Best Cinematography that are shot on Alexa and mastered to 2k!

June 10, 2015 at 11:10AM

Don't bet on it being "a long way off". That was said about 4K only a year ago.

June 12, 2015 at 12:22AM

Gene Nemetz
live streaming

Wow. This looked "Epic" on my iPhone.

June 11, 2015 at 4:19PM

Mike Brown
Director of Photography, Camera Operator, Assistant Camera

For those of you wondering why when no one has 8k displays... this is extremely useful for anyone working with panoramic video for VR and head-mounted displays.

June 11, 2015 at 5:02PM, Edited June 11, 5:02PM

Maybe some people can. I can see the difference in resolution but my computer chokes at anything higher than 720P HD, so at higher resolutions I am basically seeing start and stop stills.

June 11, 2015 at 11:01PM

bobspez
Retired unix sys admin

Download to play them. You'll see a difference in the quality compared to watching them on the web site. And no buffering.

June 12, 2015 at 12:25AM

Gene Nemetz
live streaming

It's so that 360 videos can be mapped at an HD resolution

June 20, 2015 at 5:38PM, Edited June 20, 5:38PM

Here is the way to get youtube unblocked here. http://unblockedtube.net

December 29, 2017 at 10:52AM