The Ki Pro Ultra is the newest edition to AJA's family of external recorders.
Introduced a little over a week ago at the InterBEE show in Japan, the recorder is the Bentley of Ki Pro recorders, capable of HD, 2K, UHD, and 4K up to 60fps, has nearly every flavor of ProRes, and features multiple inputs and outputs. Just like the Ki Pro Quad and CION, it records to AJA Pak SSDs.
Here's the intro video showing off the recorder:
And the specs:
- 4.8" 1280 x 720 TFT LCD display
- Record signals from 720p 60fps up to 4K DCI 60fps
- ProRes 422 Proxy to 444
- 2 AJA Pak Slots
- Video Input: HD/3G-SDI (SMPTE-292/296/424, 10-bit) (12-bit input supported processing is 10-bit) 4K DC/UHD 4:2:2 / 4:4:4 : 4 x BNC, Single Link 4:2:2 / 4:4:4: 1 x BNC, Dual Link 4:2:2 / 4:4:4 : 2 x BNC, Dual Channel Fiber: 2 x Ports (optional SFPs required), 1 x HDMI 2.0
- Video Output: HD/3G-SDI (SMPTE-292/296/424, 10-bit) 4K DC/UHD4:2:2 / 4:4:4 : 4 x BNC, Single Link 4:2:2 / 4:4:4 : 1 x BNC, Dual Link 4:2:2 / 4:4:4 : 2 x BNC, Monitor: 1 x BNC, Dual Channel Fiber: 2 x Ports (optional SFPs required), Version 2.0: 1 x HDMI 2.0 (4K DCI/UHD 50/60 fps in 4:2:0 8-bit format only)
- Audio Input — Digital: 8-channel, 24-bit SDI & HDMI embedded audio, 48 kHz sample rate, Synchronous // 8-channel, AES/EBU
- Audio Input — Analog: 8-channel, 24-bit A/D analog audio, 48 kHz sample rate
- Audio Output — Digital: 8-channel, 24-bit HDMI/SDI/Fiber embedded audio, 48kHz sample rate, Synchronous // 8-channel, AES/EBU
- Audio Output — Analog: Headphone: 1 x 3.5mm stereo mini jack, Dual Mono: 2 x RCA, 8-Channel: 1 x DB-25 (Tascam pinout) 24-bit D/A analog audio, 48kHz sample rate
- LTC Timecode BNC In/Out
- RS-422: 1 x DE-9 female connector, SONY 9-pin serial protocol
- Power: 65W Max
- Size: 8.64" x 9.34" x 3.31" (21.94cm x 23.72cm x 8.41cm)
- Weight: 5.55 lbs (2.52 kg)
- Availability: Soon
- Price: $4,000
While some of these have been designed to go under or near a camera, the Ki Pro Ultra has been designed to ideally go in a rack mount. Certainly you could just use it on a table, but it looks pretty nifty as one half of a rack setup:
This is the next logical rack mounted step up from the Ki Pro Quad, and the large preview screen is a huge help with this guy. Usually we've got tiny 2-3" screens just for confidence on these kinds of recorders, but a nearly 5" screen should really help you see if things are recording as they should without necessarily needing to view the output on a large screen.
AJA says the recorder is shipping now, though B&H still has it for pre-order. I imagine we're going to see it pretty soon either way for those productions looking for a high-end external recorder.