Firmware 1.3 for Video Devices PIX-E5, E5H, & E7 Recorders Adds Expanded Anamorphic Options & More
The video division of Sound Devices has introduced firmware 1.3 for the newest PIX 5" and 7" monitor/recorders.
One of the big features that separates the PIX from some other monitor/recorders out there is the ability to use both the touchscreen or actual buttons to control features, since there are times when both are useful, and touchscreens can sometimes be problematic.
With the newest firmware, they've made the PIX recorders even better. Included in this updated are some expanded options for anamorphic desqueeze, 6G-SDI support for the ARRI AMIRA, and LCD Flip/Mirror options. Here's a look at the image orientation features:
And everything that's included in the new update:
- Expanded Anamorphic Desqueeze feature includes menu options for Sensor Ratio, Lens Ratio and Display format.
- Expanded 6G-SDI supports 4K over single SDI for ARRI AMIRA cameras.
- New LCD Orientation menu provides ability to mirror and flip the on-screen display to enable operation of PIX-E monitors in various mounted positions, including upside down.
- Ability to send timecode via SDI output.
- Improved False Color menu has new option to display scale on the OSD and added keys to indicate IRE threshold levels of the various colors.
- New shortcut button combinations have been added to enable ability to capture snapshots of on-screen display as JPG or PNG still images, and save them to media for later viewing on PC or Mac.
- New System > Screen Saver sub-menu allows for timing customization of the new screen saver, which helps protect the integrity of the monitor's LCD.
And things that have been fixed or changed since the last update:
- Firmware process has been updated to now indicate the media in which the selected PRG resides.
- Reworded and reordered Timecode menu.
- Display did not revert to show all OSD items after sleep and resume.
- Rare event where PIX-E7 LCD showed purple lines across the top and the UI was not updated correctly on the screen.
- Rare event where user interface and information bar would be sluggish to update.
- On PIX-E7 monitors only, flashing pixels sometimes appeared at the bottom of the screen below the soft key labels.
- ‘Problem with video decoding’ message appeared with some files when shuttling to the beginning of the file.
- Warning bell would not be sent to headphone monitor if the SpeedDrive was pulled or otherwise disconnected during recording.
- SDI Out Audio would disappear during first file played back after a sleep cycle.
- SDI Output would not be active in playback when no video input signal was connected.
- False colors was sometimes applied to the entire 4-Way View.
- Rare event where scopes were displayed over the top of the Main menu, Audio screen, and File List.
- Audio screen and File List would not be not accessible when the PIX-E Series monitor came out of sleep with no SpeedDrive connected.
- Enabling Peak while in 4-Way View and turning Control Knob would display the wrong state.
- Subtle vertical line "cross-hatching" might appear on PIX-E7 LCD.
- Rare condition where headphone burst noise was experienced.
- Issue where the Control knob could go unresponsive after entering shuttle mode then fast forward or rewinding via the soft keys.
- Improved performance with marginal incoming SDI signals.
- Enhanced SMPTE352 detection for incoming UHD rates.
To download the update, be sure to head on over to the Video Devices site using the link below.