April 24, 2017
NAB 2017

DaVinci Resolve 14 is Faster, Cheaper, and Now for Audio Professionals, Plus New URSA Mini Pro Modules

DaVinci Resolve 14 at NAB 2017 on No Film School
Blackmagic's mission to make DaVinci Resolve a one-stop-shop for NLE, color, and post sound is one step closer to fruition.

Couldn't run DaVinci Resolve on your laptop? You might be able to now, with Blackmagic's announcement today that the company has made processing 10x faster through CPU and GPU optimizations. Not only that—Blackmagic is dropping the price of the software from $999 to a $299 license and doing away with those pesky dongles.

Most importantly, with Blackmagic's acquisition of Fairlight, a time-tested audio technology, DaVinci Resolve 14 is built to be a powerful post-production audio tool for film and broadcast. Basic features include sound editing, mixing and routing, professional bussing and multi-format mastering to 3D audio formats like 5.1, 7.1 Dolby and 22.2.

"The state of the art, super low latency audio engine is designed to work with 192kHz 96-bit audio and delivers up to 1,000 tracks with real time EQ, dynamics processing and plug-ins on every track when used with the Fairlight Audio Accelerator. Plus the new Fairlight audio can record up to 96 channels while simultaneously playing back up to 150 audio channels, while mixing it all in real time! There simply is no other software available with this level of dedicated audio power."

Fairlight 2-Bay
Fairlight 2-Bay Console Running DaVinci Resolve 14

This iteration of Resolve, what Blackmagic is calling "the biggest release in the history of the product," aims to encourage filmmakers and post-production professionals to be able to work together all in one environment.

Here's a quick look at some of the features announced so far:

• Multitrack timeline for subframe editing of audio, down to sample level
  • Work with up to 1,000 tracks with Fairlight Audio Accelerator Card
  • Without accelerator card, up to 60 tracks in real time
  • Mixer with several main, sub and aux buses for mastering and delivering
  • Every channel features real time 6 band parametric EQ
  • Clip time warping without shifting pitch
  • Parameter automation
  • Monitoring can handle buses up to 24 channels wide
  • Monitoring on up to 16 different sets of speakers
  • Better threading and CPU pipelining
  • Lower Latency
  • Faster UI refresh rates
  • Support for Apple Metal
  • New slip and slide trim commands for editors
  • For colorists, 20 new Resolve FX filters
URSA Mini Pro New Features at NAB 2017

In addition to making DaVinci Resolve 14 better software for audio professionals, Blackmagic also announced new modules and functionality for the URSA Mini Pro:

Bluetooth Capability: The Bluetooth tech in the camera has lain dormant until now. With Blackmagic's new app, users can now control settings and make notes remotely. This is ideal for situations where the camera is in high (jib, crane) or low (underwater) places.

SSD Module: This module allows direct recording to your choice of approved SSDs for improved workflow with RAW files. The URSA Mini Pro is now capable of flexibly recording to CFast 2.0, SD UHS and SSD, making it one of the most versatile cameras on the market in terms of media. The module attaches flush in between the back of the camera body and the battery plate, and is powered by the camera itself.

Blackmagic URSA Mini Pro SSD Module
URSA Mini Pro SSD Module

Native Nikon Mount: Building its repertoire of native mount options, the URSA Mini Pro has added Nikon to the list. The mount is a dumb mount—meaning no electronic communication between camera and lens (for aperture, etc)—but is ideal for the oft-used manual Ai Nikons.

All in all, a pretty good NAB for Blackmagic. Can't argue with these huge improvements and price drop for DaVinci, and continued support and improvements to what we think is their best camera yet. A public beta of DaVinci Resolve 14 will be available today on the Blackmagic website. Stay tuned this week for an in-depth video on the new audio features in DaVinci Resolve 14.

No Film School's complete coverage of NAB 2017 is brought to you by My RØDE Reel, Vimeo 360, and Blackmagic Design.

Wow, Resolve is astounding value. This release can't come soon enough.
And hopefully it has GH5 compatibility...

April 24, 2017 at 12:51PM

Richard L
Camera assistant, DIT, DOP

Their feature release mentions this:

• Support for decoding H.264 Intra 422 10bit - DaVinci Resolve Studio only

April 24, 2017 at 1:45PM

The price drop to $299 is interesting. In the direct price point of FCPx with (if their new updates prove to work as well as advertised) a possibly on par if not better product once you add in color grading and not a subscription like the Adobe CC model. I'm an FCPx loyalist, but this is definitely intriguing.

April 24, 2017 at 12:56PM, Edited April 24, 1:17PM

Charles C.
Editor/ Director/ Director of Photography/ Wannabe Thinker

I am also an FCP X loyalist but this could be a great finishing tool for me with the new audio tools and colour correcting.

April 24, 2017 at 1:46PM

Jamie Sergeant
Selfshooting Filmmaker, Writer

Agreed. I never dive much into the audio side of post, but this looks a little too good to ignore when you remember how great their Color Grading tools are.

April 24, 2017 at 3:06PM, Edited April 24, 3:06PM

Charles C.
Editor/ Director/ Director of Photography/ Wannabe Thinker

FCPX still has me when it comes to overall ease of use. Like Audio-Clip Synchronization. Or just how the UI responds over all, DaVinci doesn't play nice with a track-pad and the scrolling and zoom options in the edit timeline and in the new Fairlight editor are SUPER finicky. In fact, the mouse scroll changes function in each of these sections... drives me nuts. But I have high hopes for them. It's super nice to have a competitor to FCPX and Adobe CC.

April 25, 2017 at 5:34PM, Edited April 25, 5:39PM

Sean Kyte
Editor/Director

Does this mean my Davinci Studio dongle will no longer work?

April 24, 2017 at 1:01PM

I have that question as well.

April 24, 2017 at 1:08PM

Go to https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support/family/davinci-resolve-and-fusion
If you have the dongle it will work with the Studio version 14 download.

April 24, 2017 at 1:24PM, Edited April 24, 1:25PM

Jonathon Sendall
Stories

Great now i can buy full version! Great move BM! but my biggest disappointment is that BM did not released any new camera alike BMPCC MKII :(

April 24, 2017 at 1:19PM

Agreed 100% love my original BMPCC. Was really hoping a new model with some updates would be announced today.

April 24, 2017 at 1:23PM

Charles C.
Editor/ Director/ Director of Photography/ Wannabe Thinker

its on the first two days...maybe later

April 24, 2017 at 3:02PM

Adam Arad
Cinematogrpher

True. Just think in the past Blackmagic generally knock out all their announcements in one go.

April 24, 2017 at 3:08PM

Charles C.
Editor/ Director/ Director of Photography/ Wannabe Thinker

They wouldn't need to change much about the BMPCC IMO:
- Add 2.5K (4K would probably cannibalize their other cameras)
-Keep the same form factor but figure out how to increase the battery life.

April 28, 2017 at 12:28PM

Saskamodie
Filmmaker

I do not think a pocket camera can compete against their professional line... 4k (2.5k it's nice too) 1080p 60fps !!! (I REALLY NEED THAT) maybe with LPE-6 Canon Batteries like the micro cinema camera.
And if they add preview Luts, I'm going to fall in love with them.
A bigger sensor is more unreal, but ....

May 18, 2017 at 9:15PM, Edited May 18, 9:15PM

Julian Cortizo
Director / Post-Producer / Composer

So i'm guessing, all dongle owners will finally have to pay for the new version. It's been a long run. I don't mind the price though. Good job BM.

April 24, 2017 at 1:36PM

Look at my post above

April 24, 2017 at 4:20PM

Jonathon Sendall
Stories

So DaVinci is now the power to be reckoned with. I'm definitely buying!

April 24, 2017 at 2:04PM

Wentworth Kelly
Director/DP/Colorist/Drone Op
1946

How much is the SSD module?

April 24, 2017 at 3:45PM, Edited April 24, 3:45PM

Ron Marvin
Director of Photography

That is the key question... will be the difference for most people in getting the UM 4.6K or the UM Pro 4.6K

April 24, 2017 at 10:59PM

Kayode

After reviewing a few more NAB 2017 reports discovered this info with pricing on the SSD module and other accessories:

Blackmagic URSA Mini SSD Recorder $395.00
Blackmagic URSA Mini EF Mount $175.00
Blackmagic URSA Mini PL Mount $245.00
Blackmagic URSA Mini B4 Mount $385.00
Blackmagic URSA Mini F Mount for Nikon (all mechanical no electrical contacts) $375.00
Blackmagic URSA Mini Mic Mount $125.00
Blackmagic URSA Studio Viewfinder $1,795.00

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6k-zAWHgvKA

The SSD Recorder with a few SSDs is a more cost effective solution compared to CFast 2.0 cards.

May 2, 2017 at 1:03AM, Edited May 2, 1:05AM

Ron Marvin
Director of Photography

Just tried the new Beta on my Mac Book Pro and on my Windows workstation, Davinci is now not starting on eigther of them. So probably be careful and don't make the same mistake :/

April 24, 2017 at 3:47PM

Benjamin K.
Director/ DOP/ VFX Sup

It work even better than 12.5 version in my MacBook12"

April 24, 2017 at 4:21PM

Did you deinstalled the other version first or just installed the new one? (My specs: MacBook Pro Retina 15) 2,8 Ghz i7 16GB 1600 AMD Radeon R9 M370X 2048 MB + Intel Pro 1536 MB) mac OS Sierra 10.12.4

April 24, 2017 at 4:26PM

Benjamin K.
Director/ DOP/ VFX Sup

Just installed the new one, nothing more.
Mine is only a 1,1 core M, 8gb, Intel Pro 1536 MB and OS Sierra 10.12.4 ;)
I will try later in my 2010 Imac 27" i5, 12GB

April 24, 2017 at 4:31PM, Edited April 24, 4:32PM

The same... I have a lot of problem and bugs... Already uninstalled...

April 25, 2017 at 8:36AM

It's a beta so I'll withhold final judgement. However, it runs like a turd. Playback of 1080 video is choppy as hell. Audio won't work through headphones. Blech.

April 25, 2017 at 1:23PM

That price drop and optimizations are awesome. I'd love to stop paying Adobe, but Resolve doesn't like to work on hardware that Premiere dances on. So, here's hoping it's actually improved.

April 24, 2017 at 7:05PM

Same I want to run it on my 2012 Mac Mini which will run Premiere Pro and FCPX no problem.

April 25, 2017 at 9:52AM

Mike Tesh
Pro Video / Indie Filmmaker

I saw no performance boost on the free version. 4k h.264 from the GH4 handle perfectly on my system with FCPX and Premiere with no transcoding. DaVinci is choppy, as it was on 12.5.

April 25, 2017 at 5:46PM

Batutta

I installed it and, as soon as I open it, it crashes. Had no problem with v.12.5.

April 24, 2017 at 10:02PM

davinci resolve 14... ))) I have installed it. A lot of bugs!!! The first start: All my projects shown as OFFLINE media files.. No problem. Re-linked to the same hard drive :-) All ok. The project opened.. I see video on time line. Then I have decided to see how looks new color correction... Clicked on it and davinci resolve immediately closed :-) Tried to open again this project and davinci can not open this project now :-) So... Has been uninstalled this RAW product from my PS (windows-10)

April 25, 2017 at 6:05AM

will this update add support for linear PCM audio? It's been tough trying to work with Sony + Resolve, because Sony's AVCHD and XAVC S record in LPCM (and I can't figure out a way around it)

May 19, 2017 at 10:09AM

From the comments, it doesn't sound like it is ready for Prime Time yet. I tried using it a couple of versions ago when it first tried to become an NLE, and it didn't go well at all. It seems like it could take years for them to develop a truly awesome NLE and I hope they do, but it doesn't sound like this is it yet.

June 30, 2017 at 10:25PM