August 15, 2017
news

You Can Now See Unlimited Movies in Theaters for $10 a Month, Thanks to an Ex-Netflix Exec

movie theater
Yes, it's true: You can now go to the movies every single day for less than the cost of a Netflix subscription.

In a move sure to please everyone who loves seeing movies on the big screen, theatrical subscription service MoviePass announced that it's dropping its monthly fee to $9.95 for all users. That low rate gets subscribers entry to any movie (excluding IMAX and 3-D) at any theater in the system for any screening—even opening night. The absence of blackout dates and times is what the company refers to by calling its deal "unlimited"; your viewing is, in fact, limited to one movie per day.

Originally, the subscription prices were scaled according to various factors such as geographic location, but with the addition of former Netflix executive Mitch Lowe to the CEO role at MoviePass, this standardized rate was enacted. Lowe believes that what's keeping movie lovers away from theaters is not an addiction to offerings from his former company, but simply economic barriers.

“People really do want to go [to the movies] more often,” Lowe told Bloomberg. “They just don’t like the transaction.”

The service is currently available to over 4,000 American theaters and more than 36,000 screens.

Currently, the service is only available in the U.S., with a reported access to over 4,000 American theaters and more than 36,000 screens. According to Business Insider, that's 91% of movie theaters across the country. However, with the stated goal of the company being to access consumer data, it is likely to expand beyond U.S. borders to reach more consumers soon.

All that is required to sign up is a debit card, and as soon as your MoviePass arrives in the mail, you can start buying tickets via the company's app. See you at the movies!

Wow, this is crazy. And it's going to work.

Edit: Yep, their servers are definitely overloaded from the traffic this is generating.

August 15, 2017 at 4:13PM, Edited August 15, 4:27PM

Samuel Neff
DP / Editor

Well, since $10 is cheaper than a regular ticket at any theater near me anyway, I don't see why I wouldn't.

August 15, 2017 at 4:45PM

No, I'm sure this is a bad idea. Already people illegally download films, or find some other way to skirt the standard $20 movie ticket price, and all the big movie cinemas (Hoyts, Event etc) are already in a battle to get the lowest prices possible, and sure it means we pay less to see great films, but it also means that the the people making these films are the ones that it hits hardest. Sure more people may go and see the films, but it means each film will have less of a financial return and therefore less money available to make the next film. Ultimately leaving us with less films to see in the end.

August 15, 2017 at 9:15PM

Or...a more likely scenario, this will get more people to see indies meaning they will thrive and it will level the market so a giant superhero movie isn't the only film someone will justify shelling out the cash to see in a given month. With a 10 dollar price tag more people will see more movies which equals more of a demand for theatrical films. I don't see how you could see that as a bad thing.

August 15, 2017 at 9:25PM

Stephen Herron
Writer/Director

Where are movie tickets $20 ?

August 15, 2017 at 10:42PM

Pat Heine
Producer.

Los Angeles. For my wife and me to see Dunkirk in IMAX cost nearly $60.

August 15, 2017 at 11:55PM, Edited August 15, 11:55PM

IMAX and 3D screenings are excluded from movie pass. I think the question was more accurately, where are standard 2D screenings $20? In SF those range from $12-$15.

August 16, 2017 at 10:12AM

Jamie LeJeune
Director of Photography

Australia is a minimum of $20 a film at all the chain cinemas

August 28, 2017 at 7:00PM

I'm not so sure it's a bad thing (at least, not from an economic standpoint). It feels very much like the gym membership model. The membership is cheap enough that it will attract a lot of users but it's also at a price point where I don't necessarily feel guilty if I end up not using it in a given month. I think there will be a lot of users who will buy into it but don't take full advantage of the membership and may even pay for some months where they don't use it at all. Sure some people will use it to the fullest but even for us movie buffs, I can only think of 3 or 4 films I would've wanted to see in the theater this month. It's not just the money, it's the amount of time I have to commit to going to the theater (when I'm already busy with work and family). Younger users won't have an issue with that but adults with busy jobs, spouses and kids might find it more challenging to get into a theater more than once in a month. So I think if they can reach a point of mass adoption the economics will work out. As to the question of MoviePass' influence on the movie theater business going forward, that's a whole separate issue.

August 17, 2017 at 10:21AM, Edited August 17, 10:21AM

Very good point!

August 19, 2017 at 1:00AM

The website says $10 for first month, $24.99/month after that.
Also, trying to find out which theaters are participating is quite difficult.
Putting in my zip code on the site yields no results.
Downloaded the app and even that won't tell you.
Something seems a little fishy.

August 16, 2017 at 11:23AM

Richard Krall
richardkrall.com

It seems legit, it has been all over reddit, it just appears that their servers are overloaded from the major influx of traffic they have received since the announcement.

August 17, 2017 at 8:48AM

Most bad movies make tons of bucks because of the ridiculous prices for tickets, so many Americans do not go and wait for dvd. The latter nowadays is only in a few months, so most figure I'll wait for video or on demand. This makes perfect sense to me, it just might take a bit to have it work effectively.

August 18, 2017 at 12:18AM

Stop! Before you get too excited the way the sign up process works is really shady. You can't see if any theaters work near you unless you sign up etc.

Use this site to check if the program works near you first: http://mdudetm.com/moviepass/

Be patient the site is totally overloaded so it takes a while to check, but it's better than this company tricking you into giving them your financial info and more only to find out you can't use the service.

The whole model is based on them selling your personal info: http://www.businessinsider.com/moviepass-lets-you-go-to-all-the-movies-y...

August 18, 2017 at 1:22PM

Daniel

Just remember... if it seems to good to be true, it probably is. Price increases, no theaters near you, you'll give them a CC that will be next to impossible to cancel the charges, cancellation fees, your email and preferences will be sold to other marketing companies. All of these are possible. Be a smart consumer.

August 20, 2017 at 6:21PM

August 22, 2017 at 12:36AM

I think this will be better for theaters than most people realize, because they make most of their profits off of concession sales.

I don't know about you but when the ticket itself is $10, I don't feel much like buying popcorn and a soda. With this kind of decreased pricing, now I'll have money to actually visit the concession stand each time I go.

September 14, 2017 at 5:31PM

Netflix has the best movies I recommend to see Breaking Bad!
Free Xbox Live Gift Cards

March 17, 2018 at 4:32PM

This is a decent post. This post gives genuinely quality data. I'm unquestionably going to investigate it.

Document Translation
professional online translation

March 21, 2018 at 8:31AM

brown2

he article is astoundingly great and direct. This is accurately what I require. I have never thought the determination delegates give cautious thought in web organizing that way.

legal translator
Interprétariat langue

March 21, 2018 at 8:32AM

brown2

Good article and knowledge for me! I found a lot of information here!
translated documents
Transcreation Services

March 21, 2018 at 8:33AM

brown2

I love to see Prison Break, in my opinion. I recommend you all give it a try!

Clash of Clasn Gems Free

March 22, 2018 at 4:36PM

Very Nice my friends I love to see it V-bucks hacks

March 29, 2018 at 4:10PM

Good to see this I love Netflix and that very nice No Film School Website!
Dragon City Hacks Tool

March 30, 2018 at 4:37PM

Nice To see this my friend i love it Check out Free PlayStation Plus Codes Working

April 2, 2018 at 4:14PM

The effects of video video games on the brain is a highly controversial topic, as both benefits and drawbacks have been discovered, depending on the content of the video musically followers tool played. On the tilt-based mostly games, this takes a bit time to get used to , it´s an unfamiliar management technique.

May 18, 2018 at 9:13AM

It will be nice if they include the latest movies.

June 3, 2018 at 8:55PM, Edited June 3, 8:55PM

voulez-vous obtenir le code PSN gratuit vaut $20 alors ici vous allez:- https://codepsngenerateur.com

July 19, 2018 at 9:57AM

Yes you can get free playstation codes using some real working ways explained in the reference attached.

August 1, 2018 at 4:33AM

If you are looking for best fortnite controls ps4 for all the devices then you should consider to check a article posted on https://fortnitegamefans.com they have a complete detailed post on it.

August 4, 2018 at 2:51PM

Hi, i think the main part in fortnite is v bucks. If you have it, you own fortnite. Get to know the best method to get free v bucks easily and legally.

August 27, 2018 at 10:48AM

Branden Tinissi
Blogger

how you can get free coins in madden mobile is the only question i was asking until i found this website http://maddenmobile.cjlbaseball.com

August 30, 2018 at 9:50AM

No friend, you are still going the wrong way, I would still recommend you to stick with this legit free robux guide from here.

September 3, 2018 at 9:41AM

Sammy Greggs
Blogger

September 11, 2018 at 8:45AM

October 2, 2018 at 1:14AM

Andrew Deasey
Photographer and a Blogger.

there are very strange pet products and pet foods . https://www.petmalzeme.net

October 8, 2018 at 9:23AM

Oh buddy i think you desperately need help to get yourself free vip on msp.

October 26, 2018 at 9:34AM

Christian Albers
Web Developer

You could know about each and every possibilities to understand the concept of gaining free resources in pixel gun 3d game using this source here.

October 29, 2018 at 2:36AM

Domingo Brewster
Web Developer

$10 a month is not a big deal for the one who loves to watch movies anytime. However, for gamers like us, we still need to find out some cheap ways like this. Until then, i think we can satisfy ourself using legit ways to get free v bucks we can find online.

October 29, 2018 at 10:21AM

Meagan Gammill
Web Developer

Great post, i don't really see this being very successful as I don't think people generally go see movies all that much to justify a monthly subscription, but what do I know!?

Want to learn new ways to make money online and which websites will earn you the most money and are the most trusted?

Go to https://incomeredefined.com/ to learn more

November 5, 2018 at 4:40PM

Oh my friend I just came across this cool Free V Bucks Generator and it performs great:>. Samuel have you checked the Free V Bucks Generator hack yet? Works out better than the Free V Bucks Generator method

December 25, 2018 at 4:49AM

You can find the best ways to get things done. Here are some of the best methods to grab free v bucks easily.

January 9, 2019 at 9:30AM

Meagan Gammill
Web Developer

Great.. i like it the most. Source for the best guide: http://pixelgun3d.gangotritextiles.com/

February 16, 2019 at 5:52AM

Domingo Brewster
Web Developer

Here you can get an infinite amount of resources by using this link https://cathyogame.hatenablog.com/entry/2019/03/08/202809

March 8, 2019 at 8:23AM

This is really amazin, i love to read this one fortnite v bucks generator

March 21, 2019 at 9:24AM

edisredi
This is boss

April 3, 2019 at 5:55AM

We appreciate your suggestion that we install more drinking fountains in the mall. We are presently looking into installation costs, but feel confident that at least some new fountains will appear before summer. The building was designed for them, but they were not included when construction costs ran higher than expected. Perhaps the time has come to finish the job right. Thank you for bringing it to our attention.
fifa 19 points generator no human verification

fifa 19 coin generator no survey

fifa 19 coins generator

Thank you for suggesting that we offer our whole wheat bread to store franchises in your area. We appreciate hearing how much you like our products and hope you will continue to enjoy them. While we do not have plans to expand into that part of the county, your letter encourages us to explore the possibility for the future.
Free NBA 2k19 vc generator

NBA 2k19 Free vc codes ps4

NBA 2k19 Free vc 2019

April 5, 2019 at 12:55PM

thomas j
Stop N Shop

Microsoft and Sony have both offered them for over a decade, tying online experiences to Xbox Live and PlayStation Plus, respectively

June 21, 2019 at 8:13AM