October 2, 2017

Get Started in Cinematic Storytelling with Philip Bloom's New Masterclass

Philip Bloom
Can you learn filmmaking fundamentals in eight hours? Philip Bloom thinks so.

DP Philip Bloom has been on the film education and workshop circuit for as long as we can remember, and now he has released what looks to be his most comprehensive online course yet. Bloom's Cinematic Masterclass contains seven, hour-long modules plus a bonus intro session that you can watch free just for signing up. The broad topics covered are: camera basics, visual storytelling, interviews, slow motion, timelapse, drones and aerial cinematography, story (putting all the pieces together in a real-world shooting scenario), and post-production. In his blog, Bloom says that the essential skills of lighting and audio are covered throughout the series, rather than in individual episodes.

In the free intro class, Bloom gives you the bare essentials of what gear you need for your first kit, like a fluid head tripod, camera, lens, monitor, mic and headphones, and, more importantly, what specific qualities you should look for in your purchases.

The class is not meant for a specific camera, and most of Bloom's advice should be platform-agnostic, but he does share a list of the gear used in the series:

You can order an individual session of Bloom's class for $79 or own the whole course for $199. It is hosted by the MZed platform, which offers a whole host of other filmmaking related courses, from Introduction to the Canon C200 to The Art of Visual Storytelling taught by veteran Saturday Night Live DP Alex Buono. You can purchase individual courses, or join MZed Pro, where you can stream 140 hours of classes for $299 a year.

Featured image from PhilipBloom.net.

Go Phillip. I actually like your stuff, but I have to say.... i'm amazed how you have leveraged what is a relatively weak resume, by professional standards, into such a stellar blog, writing, teaching career. Kudos...my hat's off, you are winning!!

October 2, 2017 at 2:29PM

For all of the people teaching filmmaking and videography online for free, very few have any real quality. For a documentary style, Philip actually has some quality to back his opinions compared to what else is out there. His resume/portfolio isn't incredible but compared to the thousands of awful "teachers" online he has some quality that makes him really stand out.

October 2, 2017 at 6:08PM

Jeremiah Kuehne
Filmmaker

Is it a masterclass on how to make money teaching classes? I wish MZED would focus more on working cinematographers like in the past with Alex Buono and Shane Hurlbut.

October 2, 2017 at 6:47PM

Bob Dobaline
Editor, Director

Hi Joseph. Mzed have those classes and those are amazing. My 8 part course is very very different and is much more aimed at the one to two people small productions. There is a lot more different types of filming than big Hollywood productions. Thanks. P

October 3, 2017 at 5:49AM

Phillip has is a very articulate filmmaker - I'm sure that you've watched some of his detailed camera/gear reviews. He's a valued asset to our community not necessarily because of his work but because of his ability to share his knowledge and thoughtful rants on gear. For the majority of filmmakers that have limited assets he can provide lots of experience maximizing their effectiveness. I appreciate him and the time he takes to provide resources to us. I hope that he can make a profit from it!

October 3, 2017 at 10:29AM, Edited October 3, 10:29AM

Thanks Tyler, appreciated. P

October 4, 2017 at 4:13AM

Philip Bloom
Filmmaker

Philip Bloom, I presume! And you are...?

October 3, 2017 at 9:27PM

Cinematography of beaches and streets... and stuff

October 4, 2017 at 4:14AM, Edited October 4, 4:14AM

Vladimir Miketa
Cinematographer & Editor

Shame on NFS for promoting this dude. PB is an accused domestic abuser that Kessler ended a business relationship with because of allegations from multiple women. Maybe that doesn't matter too much anymore because it was a couple years ago and he still gets clicks?

Here's a lovely quote to go with this article from his ex-fiance:

“It’s funny how a large following of supporters could make you terrified of saying anything. The year leading up to meeting him was extremely hard. I had lost trust in both my parents for incredibly hurtful things they did to me and had to push them away in order to heal. By doing so, a lot of my extended family cut me out and to this day, still won’t talk to me. I didn’t love my job and was very alone. Instead of leaving Philip at the first sign of violence, I stayed thinking I could help him with his anxiety, depression and anger. It’s something I grew up around and foolishly thought I could assist.

I lied to the police who came to his house in London, hiding my bruises – scared of where I would go. If he had kicked me out of the house, I would be homeless and at the time, I knew no one in London. The police took me to a hotel which I couldn’t afford after a few days. I didn’t know where to go or who to call upon as I had lost most of my family.”

October 6, 2017 at 3:29PM, Edited October 6, 3:30PM

Avery McCarthy
Director/DP/Editor

Those are allegations only. But even so, have you ever seen/read Philip Bloom's teaching and/or tutorials? He's brilliant! His down-to-earth manner, clear explanations, politeness and humor make him extremely watchable and effective in the information he is passing on (mostly for free too!).

If it weren't for Philip Bloom I wouldn't be were I am today in my interests and activities as a wannabe film maker. He inspires those of us who have the passion to create beautiful works with the fundamentals.

October 6, 2017 at 4:45PM