February 20, 2019

A Kickstarter to Digitally Remove the Rat from the End of 'The Departed'

That rat was a bad idea and this guy really wants to fix it.

As we all know, Kickstarter can be a major tool for filmmakers trying to bring their passion projects to life. For Adam Sacks, his passion lies in an utter hatred for the "metaphorical" rat shot at the end of Martin Scorsese's 2006 filmThe Departed. So much so, in fact that he's started a campaign to the tune of $4,000 to have it digitally erased.

Now, the film may have won four Oscars and made over $290 million dollars at the box office, but in Sacks opinion, "the movie has one giant glaring flaw. In the last shot, Scorsese has an actual rat crawl across the screen. The rat symbolizes rats. I get that this was just a studio film for Scorsese, but it is insane to me that he would end any movie with such a painfully on the nose metaphor." Now we can finally have a version of Scorsese's masterpiece without The Departed Rat.

This will be done in the vein of Steven Spielberg and George Lucas "digitally enhancing" their classics. Unlike their updates however, Sacks version will actually make the film better. The only problem is he can't sell any of these Blu-ray copies, because he does not own the rights to the movie. If you're as passionate about the shot as he is, however,  you can pledge $70 to have to receive one of the 50 limited edition copies. "This will allow me to buy you a legal Blu-ray of The Departed, throw that disc away, replace it with my superior version, and mail it to you," Sacks explains.

He gives a very thorough breakdown of all the reasons he needs the money and how he will spend it in the campaign, so if you happen to have a strong opinion about The Departed rat ending too, go check it out and pledge away.

..... nothing is in the frame that the director didn't want to be there. Least of all a rat in the foreground. You think they wouldn't have just taken another shot? This is fucking ridiculous. How come people who know the least about film have the most to say?

February 20, 2019 at 11:30AM

Josh Wolf

He's not saying for a minute that the director didn't want it to be there. He's merely pointing out that the fact the director wanted it included at all is a mistake. And offering a method to fix that mistake.

I'm toying with starting a similar kickstarter to remove the last 20 minutes of AI. Or to invent a time machine so I can go back to 2001 and leave the theatre 20 minutes earlier...

February 20, 2019 at 11:42AM

Gregor Barclay
Filmmaker

That's got to be the dumbest thing I've seen today. I wish I could delete the last sequence from "Hereditary", tho.

February 20, 2019 at 12:27PM

I remember years ago a couple somewhere in the US had a "business" removing the violent and/or sexual scenes from movies so it would be more family appropriate. They'd edit it out from VHS tapes, and resell them. Their argument was, "Everyone should be able to enjoy these movies." They got in a lot of trouble. Granted, editing out the rat in The Deparated isn't exactly the same thing (and part of me wonders how much of a joke this is), but it plays on the same principle: leave people's work alone.

February 20, 2019 at 1:06PM

Jeff Payne
Writer/Director

You are correct - and more recently, a company called VidAngel did something similar with streaming videos. It was all perfectly legal, and a great service for families, but Disney and their cohorts did their corporate shenanigans to destroy that amazing business. These media companies (and 99% of directors) do not care at all about their customers, or art. Especially art. Anyone who thinks "art" is the reason for leaving films untouched needs to take a flight once, and watch how literally every movie is chopped for air-travel viewing. Nothing wrong with that according to Hollywood and its directors. But heaven forbid parents try to get a clean version for home viewing. Hollywood is a cesspool. Not a single brain in that town.

February 20, 2019 at 2:19PM

My argument to the idea wanting a clean version for a family to enjoy is this: if you find a film too objectionable to watch as-is, you don’t really want to watch the movie.

February 20, 2019 at 5:57PM

Jeff Payne
Writer/Director

Instead of nitpicking at someone else’s art why not idk do something worthwhile like make your own. Yes it was groan inducing like a dad joke and heavy handed but ultimately not your decision in any way shape or form. Smh everyone’s a critic

February 20, 2019 at 2:54PM

I agree, I would love the $4k from his kickstarter to put into my own film at the moment

February 20, 2019 at 9:26PM

Oliver Milne
Director/Cinematographer

This is above the "special kind of stupid" stupid

February 20, 2019 at 3:15PM

The only thing dumber than that shot is this Kickstarter.

February 20, 2019 at 4:11PM

Batutta

There already is a version of The Departed with a better ending - it's called Infernal Affairs.

February 20, 2019 at 7:33PM

Holly crap. This is so dumb and I see two big problems with this idea. First one is this is the last scene of that film. You can like it or not, but it is what it is. The director put it there and he had some reasons for it. Second problem is: that removing this rat is not the hardest thing in the world so why to open kickstarter for it? Ok true story: I didn't like the Ridley Scott's Prometheus. But I was intrigued by the fact how close and a the same time how far the final product was from perfect film. I found a lot of things that could be made different. That bugged me so much that I made new edit for the whole movie. It was more than 1000 cuts on my part, adding, shuffling, removing shots and scenes. But I've done it for myself - to check if I was right, to prove that my ideas will fit the mood or correct some of the film problems. This was a big task, it was a great learning experience and it was fun. But I never thought to put it on crowdfunding. Making movies is a hard job - some decisions are more complicated than others and different factors project on that decisions. BTW I wouldn't be so sure if he can crowdfunding something like that, without studio permission.

February 21, 2019 at 2:21AM, Edited February 21, 2:23AM

Piotr Numowicz
Director / DP

Art is art... so accept the fact. This guy would probably want to have a kickstarter campaign to replace the arms on Venus De Milo. Such an idiot. Anyone who supports him by contributing, is also a few cards short of a full deck..

February 21, 2019 at 10:41AM

Lee Albright
Owner-Albright Films

I worked for a post house that would censor movies for Saudi Arabia to play on airplanes, and this was one of the movies I had to edit after it came out. I mostly remember there being a 9-page excel spreadsheet with every f-word on it I had to remove. We'd also have to blur out woman's shoulders and things like that. It was pretty weird. Supposedly Martin Scorsese didn't want any part of any of his films edited, but we did it anyway.

Anyways, just reminded me of that weird job I had, haha.

February 21, 2019 at 12:21PM

You can digitally removed the rat with a copy of After Effects and a 10 minute YouTube video :D

February 21, 2019 at 12:29PM