January 3, 2015 at 6:00PM

BMCC 4k - EOS C100 Mark II

So curious - I'm on the cusp of upgrading my equipment - Now I've read a lot and researched a lot - for me now it's a toss up between these 2 cameras.
I want to buy them and not rent them as
A) I'd feel better owning my own kit (greedy!)
B) It's always avaliable to me
C) I could rent it out too if I so chose.

2 Comments

I would also take a look at the Panasonic GH4 or Sony A7S combined with the new Shogun seven-inch 1080 HD monitor / 4K recorder set-up. Being able to shoot 4K 10-bit 4:2:2 / 8-bit 4:2:2 ProRes with a very compact kit is a pretty big deal.

http://www.newsshooter.com/2014/12/31/atomos-shogun-4k-recorder-review-t...

January 4, 2015 at 10:01AM

Guy McLoughlin
Video Producer

I would stray away from the Blackmagic 4k. It's just not quite ready yet (in my opinion). I rented it because I was very curious.
Amazing images, no doubt there...but extremely large files and more importantly, incredibly limited camera. You would likely find yourself in situations where you just can't use it. 800 ISO is basically unusable (not fully, but from the tests I did, I would just stray from it completely).
Shots have to be very well lit. No audio, either.
When shots are well lit...it's amazing. Very cinematic, nice image. Lots of detail, very crisp. Prores edits like a dream. Just too limited, though.
I would wait 'til NAB and also, rent!!!! Rent each camera for like, a day or two. See how you like them. Might cost ya' 150 bucks (more or less) but it will be worth it in informing your decision. And you can always make it a win-win - shoot some stock footage or something when you rent, that way if you don't end up buying that camera you still got some nice footage out of it and it wasn't 'wasting' money for the rental.
C100 MII seems like a solid camera. If you want 4k on a budget, the a7s + shogun is a much more versatile weapon than the BM4K, and also gets a wonderful image.
Then there's always Kinemini 4k but that seems like a darn hard camera to get a hold of to rent or buy in the US.

March 31, 2015 at 6:52PM

Ben Meredith
Cinematographer/Filmmaker

Your Comment