February 10, 2015 at 4:33AM

What are some good film lenses for Nikon D5200? And the best places to buy them?

Hi all,

I know this is quite a broad question, but I'm looking to start making some short films, and I want to add a good lens to my kit, as I only have the standard 18mm-105mm.

I'm a complete novice in terms of lenses, and after doing some research, I thought that the best type of lens to suit my budget (up to about $200 US) would be a Nikkor lens. I know that a lot of them don't have auto focus, but obviously I'll be doing that manually so that is a non-issue.

I'm working on a short at the moment, and the visual feel I want to go for is similar to Drive and Nightcrawler (i.e. primarily nighttime and with as crisp detail as possible).

Through my research, I've found a Nikon 50mm f/1.8D AF Nikkor Lens (http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-50mm-Nikkor-Digital-Cameras/dp/B00005LEN4/re...).

Amazon and Ebay seem like decently reliable places dependent on the seller. I've heard Keh Camera are very good too. Oh and I live in Australia.

Any and all advice would be appreciated, thanks!

1 Comment

I would check eBay for a used Nikon 50mm f/1.4 AI-S lens or a Nikon 85mm f/2.0 AI-S lens. Both of these are great manual focus lenses that will give you a very different look at wide apertures compared to your 18-105mm lens.

I shoot with Panasonic GH3 and GH4 cameras and the lens I use the most is the Nikon 50mm f/1.4 AI-S lens. ( great for medium close-ups )

February 10, 2015 at 9:17AM

Guy McLoughlin
Video Producer

Your Comment