Audiences are wandering back into cinemas, hoping that the new coronavirus strains stay far away, but today we are reminded that when you're attending the cinema there are other ways to stay safe. 

Back in 2018, there was a tragic accident when a man lost a personal item under his chair, bent down to retrieve it, and when the footrest came down on his neck he was injured and later died. We're talking about this now because his family just reached the settlement from the theaters for $1 million (£750,000). 

European cinema chain Vue was the theater involved in the tragic accident. Judge Heidi Kubik called the incident “an accident that never should have happened.”

In a statement, Vue said they were “deeply sorry for the loss suffered by his family and friends.” The company also confirmed those types of seats have been removed from all of its venues. According to the Guardian, the inquest revealed the seat was missing a bar that would have allowed the footrest to be lifted by hand.

Moviegoing is finally back. Stay safe out there.