The Metabones Speedbooster is the best friend of Blackmagic's Pocket Cinema Camera Line. And it's literally about to get closer with a new design.
Metabones Custom Builds New Speed Booster for Blackmagic Pocket 4K Camera
Filmmakers who have fallen in love with the Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K usually pick up the Metabones Speedbooster, in order use their growing collection of standard glass to it's micro four thirds functionality. So it comes as no surprise that Metabones would redesign the lens adapter to better fit the unique nature of the BMPCC4K filter stack.
According to Metabones, the filter design of the BMPCC4K is a lot more compact than the previous model, making it substantially thinner than standard micro four-thirds designs. Metabones has redesigned their own optics in order to better align with the BMPCC4Ks filter assembly.
Because of operating at large apertures (for that delicious bokeh), having the Speedbooster's optics properly aligned with the sensor and filter stack is crucial. Lower priced boosters have a tendency to miss this detail, and therefore, focus can end up being soft when your aperture is wide open.
Here's a quick look at the specs:
• Increase maximum aperture by 1 stop
- Increase MTF
- Makes lens 0.71x (APS-C/DX/PL mount) or .64x wider (Full-frame)
- Patented 5-element/4-group optical design incorporating ultra-high index tantalum-based optical glass by Caldwell Photographic in the USA
- Felt material flocked inside the opening to reduce internal reflection
- The tripod foot is detachable and compatible with Arca Swiss, Markins, Photo Clam ball heads
- Metabones PL T CINE Speed Booster adapters are designed exclusively for the Zeiss CP.2, CZ.2, and CP.3 lenses
Metabones has also designed its Speedbooster tripod mount to align perfectly with the design of a standard release plate.
This means that both the camera and the Speedbooster can be mounted to the same plate, keeping them aligned and secure, while at the same time making it far easier to remove the camera for movement.
The new Speedboosters are the Ultra .71x for APS-C and Nikon DX lenses, and XL .64x for full-frame lenses. The Speedboosters are available for EF, EF Cine, Nikon G mounts, and the .71x Ultra is compatible with PL mount cameras. They are available now at Adorama for $479 for Nikon G mount, and $719 for the PL Lens mount adapter. The .64x Speedbooster Ultra is also available for the Canon EF mount at $699.
Check out the white paper detailing their performance with the BMPCC4K here.