Let's talk about work/life balance and significant others!

June 15, 2011

Adobe Reveals Professional Video Plan, Asks 'How Do You Like Them Apples?'

If this were a political news outlet I'd be obliged to give both parties in the Adobe-Apple 2012 "election" equal time, and so after the news that Apple will release Final Cut Pro X next week, let's follow it up with a look at Adobe's professional video plans. Here's Adobe's Jim Guerard, vice president and general manager of Professional Video, contextualizing and explaining Adobe's vision for the future:

Here are some stats from Adobe (via ProVideo Coalition) on their video programs:

• 22% year over year growth (the highest in the industry)
  • 45% growth on Mac (fueled by people switching from Final Cut Pro)
  • Growth from less than 1 million seats in 2006 to 2.3 million in 2010
  • 30% increase in unit sales from CS4 to CS5
  • 2 million installed seats of Premiere Pro

Our current installed base for Premiere Pro alone is well over 2 million worldwide. This makes Adobe the clear industry leader in video editing and in the entire video content creation workflow. Just like Adobe Photoshop has been the gold standard in digital imaging for many years, Adobe Premiere Pro is on a clear path to become the ‘Photoshop of video’ – the industry standard all professionals rely upon.

2 million Premiere Pro users, huh? Interesting -- that's the exact same number of users Apple claimed in their Final Cut Pro X presentation this year. We'll see whether Final Cut Pro X tilts the scales -- in either company's favor.

One area where Adobe is putting in work that Apple has not (to date) is in the screenwriting process. Has anyone out there used Adobe Story (which is free until April 2012)?

[via Richard Harrington]

Yes, FCP7 without H264/AVCHD editing really made Premiere's growth. But with FCP X at $299 with the features people want, Adobe better rethink their price strategy.

tttulio

i use premiere pro not because i like it , it's because i cant afford mac.

ben

I use Story a lot. It's great, with a few bugs, though. I would also add a few features, like an option to link video to text so when you rearrange one, the other updates automatically.

I think Adobe is making a great effort in becoming really usefull for professionals. I switched from Final Cut 7 maily because of the render times and compatibility with new formats, and I'm not going back unless Final Cut X really sets a new era in video production. Price factor is also important, but now I'm running an annual suscription of Production Premium CS5.5, at $80/month, so it isn't that expensive anymore.

Lets wait and see.

Cheers.

June 16, 2011

I use the "story" as well and it's great... yeah, with bugs and all, it's a cool way to write and store. There are some issues that bugs me on a PC, but not a big deal.

I read people asking for all kinds of thing to implement. It's not a good thing to add all that stuff and make it bloated shiny useless software as most of them are with useless 'improvements'. You know the kind... you'll never use and just makes a nice simple program hideous. Keep the damn thing SIMPLE, it's already has way too many things most of the screen writers never, ever use.

June 17, 2011

Tang

I think I just got tired of the Adobe 18 month upgrade cycle. After buying CS, 2, 3, 4, I didn't want to drop money on 5 and THEN 5.5. Just not worth it. Stop holding out on features to make more money Adobe....

I have high expectations for FCP X.

Ditto !

June 17, 2011

Tang

Sorry guys if you want to use professional tools and always have work it's going to have to be Avid. I was using FCP forever and switched because my clients projects were based off an Avid workflow.

Ali

I use Final Cut Pro and have delivered numerous TV shows, commercial and corporate videos. Avid is for people getting ready to retire.

June 19, 2011

L

The problem is in measuring actual usage when I would imagine most of us get Premiere Pro as part of Production Premium. I use After Effects and Photoshop everyday in my work as an editor (using Final Cut Pro primarily). So, yes, I have a seat of PP installed, but I have not done more than look at Premiere's interface since (the first) Premiere v 4.2.X in the late 90's.

On the other hand, how many people have bought FInal Cut Studio just for Color, Motion, or DVD Studio Pro?

My guess is that FCP X version 2 will be the break point on whether people start switching to AVID or Premiere. Most of us will continue using FCP7 for a time before considering other options including FCP X, especially for long form.

James

You ended up being dead on

February 2, 2012

Um...I'm a professional and final cut has been just fine thank you very much. A plumber doesn't care if it's a master craft or a walmart special - as long as the wrench don't break while your fixing someone's toilet. Same goes for software.

Wilkeson sword

Sorry, but I'm tired of Premiere CS5 crashing every min,hour,days,etc for any reason now and in the future at least you have the most expensive equipment in the planet as Hollywood Filmaker have.
I think FINAL CUT PRO X is the futureeeeeeeeeeee of course if you have a Mac Pro :)

REN

Second that. I admit that I haven't had occasion to work with PP 5.5, but we had such a disastrous experience with PP4 / CS4 that, as the song says, "We won't get fooled again." I can easily remember many, many days when projects would crash abruptly for no reason, then take 8 - 10 minutes to relaunch. And this on a honking-fast machine. I think Premiere will always have a place in the low-to-mid-end market, but as a professional tool, I don't think so. Adobe has quite a bit of swagger these days, but I have yet to see them deliver the goods. I'd love to see them buy up Avid and simply re-brand Media Composer, and then ruly integrate it with Photoshop and AE. THAT would be a killer app.

June 17, 2011

Mike

Adobe have squeezed as much as they can out of the amateur/semi-professional market. The Mercury Playback Engine only works in the main for Windows based graphics cards and their continual upgrade policy does not reward loyalty. Adobe has had ample chances to maintain their customers on the Mac but have chosen not to so I would not be surprised if there is a mass exodus to FCX.

June 16, 2011

I like many others would much rather pay$800 for premiere rather than $3000 for a mac pro and then $300 for final cut X. If apple made fcx work on pc on the other hand, i might be more tempted. ;) But i suspect Apples plan is to shift both mac pros and FCX with this strategy.

kyron

I LOVE Adobe Story, although I was disappointed to find they will be charging for it next year. The beauty of it is that I can work offline on any of the computers I have installed the client on, and then go online to synchronise. I use it for storing research notes, treatments, synopses as well as scripts. So far I have not used the functions to allow multiple people editing, but I hear that is very powerful. Adobe Story is very clean to use, and also has incredibly neat functions to generate production breakdown reports scene-by-scence.

Martyn Bull

Hmmm...I think any serious professional who doesn't have a dedicated client base (such as a Hollywood film studio) should be versatile with all three. (Avid, Premiere, FCP). People badmouthing Premiere or refusing to do anything other than look at the interface have blinders on and aren't really understanding what this new digital age is all about.

If you want to get down to brass tacks, all editing programs are essentially the same. Where one or the other excels is how it integrates with your workflow and whatever production pipeline you are a part of. To say this one is better or that one is better without citing specific reasons for stating it isn't helpful at all and just stinks of prejudice.

Avid: You want 14 people working on the same edit at the same time? No one beats Avid. NO ONE.

Premiere Pro: Do you have a pipeline that heavily includes After Effects, Photoshop or straight output for mobile content? Premiere smokes the rest hand down.

FCP: Want a stable platform for your independent film and/or good interopability with a small team of editors all on the same system? Also want to be able to act like a stuck up ass and thumb your nose at people who use windows? You probably already have FCP.

Ok, the last part was a little out of line, but jesus. I just spent $9,000 US on a top of the line Mac switching over from PC (mainly due to wanting to be able to use Avid, Premiere AND FCP as different clients demand different platforms). This was after 8 years and honestly I don't see any difference at all other than getting less bang for my buck. I am surrounded by mac fanatics and this experience taught me never to listen to hype or prejudice. Go with what works.

Why is Premiere getting more and more seats?

SImple. More and more people are having to take their own content from conceptualization to distribution and no one can do that for you like Adobe can in a complete package.

As for Mac vs PC. I'm sorry but any serious professional knows that it is an idiot's argument. Build a stable box that works for you in the pipeline you are a part of and CREATE AWESOME CONTENT. All else is big-dickery contests.

Darius

AMEN!

June 16, 2011

That about sums it all up. Well said.

June 17, 2011

Nice summary Darius! Well said.

June 20, 2011

Ryan Koo
Founder
Writer/Director

Two weeks gone and your looking a lot more foolish. All the Apple loving arse lickers on No Film School are looking even worse.

In fact, I am getting so damn sick of the Apple adulation leading up to the FCPX/iMovie Pro release, and the overhyped fanbase promises, followed by a weeks wortth of pathetic iMovie stories filled with Apple fanatic defensive wound licking that I never want to read NoFilmSchool again!!!

Oh, and real professionals do not spend $9000 on a single computer to run all platforms. If they need more than one platform, it is cheaper and more flexable to use more than one machine on a large desk. Real VFX professionals have been doing this since Babylon5 days... though back then, because the hardware could not keep up with the operators, they used more than one Amiga at one time... working on two scenes at a time going from scene to scene on two machines to let the hardware catch up. And please, no excuses about how Amigas were slower... they used the same CPUs as the Mac AND they had graphics co processors to speed them up... I always dreaded working on Macs because a 10 minute render on the Amiga would take 16 hours on both an 040 Quadra and a 940 PPC Mac. No I am not exaggerating. Not to mention that the Macs had such limited software with limited tools that they should not have been in the studio to start with.

But back to your "Grand Words". Sorry, but what you are saying, is that if you have a multi operator pipeline, AVID is the best, if you have a single operator workflow ADOBE is the best, and Apple is neither best as a multi operator or a single operator workflow. Everyone else here, including the Aple fanatic Koo, missed the blatant fact that in EVERY workflow, EVERY pipeline FCP has always been SECOND BEST.

I also wish to add, I can not work for 10 minutes on FCP without running into serious software bugs on features that were standard on NLE editors in 1992 (no, Apple had no NLE at that time). I hear FCPX is much worse.

July 1, 2011

bunny

Wow, I'm an "Aple [sic] fanatic," really? I may cover a lot of Apple stories on the site. 59% of NoFilmSchool's visitors, in fact, are using a browser on an Apple device, so you can see that they're relevant stories. But as someone who's done more editing in Premiere Pro than anything else, I don't consider myself a Apple fanatic at all. And I think anyone who's read my stories over the past several months would agree.

July 1, 2011

Ryan Koo
Founder
Writer/Director

Well said sir.

June 17, 2011

Matthew M

Well said Darius so true. All those people complaining about cs5 crashing need to get a better machine , from the first day till today it has never crashed and I edit about 5 days a week on it using photoshop premiere pro and after effects all open sametime, also rendering AE and PP sametime while working on PS. Thank you for reading

June 17, 2011

Aki

Hey Aki,

I'm pretty much in the exact same scenario as you describe. And I do plan on buying FCP X when it comes out next week because frankly there are a lot clients who like to "play in the bay" and are familiar with FCP or Premiere or Avid. Happy clients = repeat customers.

Artists work with tools that realize their art. They don't become them.

Thank cripes I'm doing a photography course at NYI because with my student ID there I was able to get Avid Media Composer 5.5 for $300 instead of $3,000.

Moral of the story: Use all the tools you have available and make great content.

June 18, 2011

Darius

Darius..if there were post awards, i would give you one.

June 17, 2011

weareallhypicrites

hahahahaha, Best laugh of the day. Thank you sir!

June 18, 2011

Darius

I'll admit it. I'm a Mac evangelista and thus pretty much a dyed-in-the-wool FCP editor. I was using both Premiere and FCP for awhile, but then Premiere left the Mac and by the time it returned, I had just really didn't have the time (or the cash) to invest in another SUITE of tools.

I HAVE been using Adobe Story--and I'm hooked. No doubt once they start charging, I'll be a paying customer.

June 20, 2011

Kirk Lohse

Two of you hit the nail on the head. Adobe has done a much better job playing the "bundle" game than Apple and managed to cram Premiere (in its various forms) down the throats of its substantial After Effects & Photoshop user base. Not that Apple hasn't tried with Motion, Soundtrack, Color & DVDSP, but those products were just not strong enough to pull Adobe users away from proven programs. IF APPLE can manage to deliver a truly integrated & powerful interface, the tide will start shifting back in their favor.

And on a different note, the Adobe video was absolutely terrible! I cannot stand it when people break the basic rules of editing and camera work in the name of "creativity". If your speaker is not very interesting, you are not going to make him MORE interesting by randomly switching up camera angles and screen position.

June 20, 2011

Richard G

I second your comment on the switching camera angles just to make the guy more interesting,

June 24, 2011