We've relaunched as a full community! Get the scoop:

June 25, 2011

Win $10,000 of Filmmaking Equipment in ikan's 2011 Video Contest (Deadline: Sept 6)

Film/video equipment manufacturer ikan is running a short film competition in which they'll be giving out $17,000 worth of equipment to winners. The contest is open for any entries 3.5 minutes or less that haven't already been published elsewhere, and asks that viewers follow the theme “Where is the Missing Piece?” $10k of equipment goes to first place, $5k to second, and $2k to third (to go along with the exposure winners receive). Oh, and I'm one of the judges. Deadline is September 6th, 2011; here are the details.

Create a short film that abides by the Judging Criteria stated below and you could win a prize package of more than $10,000, in addition to having your work viewed by some of the industry’s hottest rising stars!

All You Have To Do To Enter Is:
- Create your entry of no more than 3 ½ minutes, making sure to abide by the official rules and judging criteria
- Upload your video to vimeo.com/groups/ikanseeit2011
- Send us your completed entry form by the stated deadline (you can send it in regardless of whether or not you have finished the actual film… so get it sent off to us early!)
- Kick back until the winners are announced

DISCLOSURE: ikan is a No Film School advertiser.

Link: ikan Video Contest 2011

The link for where to upload the video isn't correct. It should be http://www.vimeo.com/groups/ikanseeit2011

What Ikan typed on the contest page is what you have here, but clicking their link redirects you to the above URL. :) Anyway, cool news—thanks for sharing!

June 25, 2011

Samuel

Thanks -- corrected.

June 25, 2011

Ryan Koo
Founder
Writer/Director

The rules of the contest seem really strange to me. I mean, come on, the winner has to pay for taxes and shipping of 10.000 $ worth equipment? I'm not sure i could afford to win...

June 25, 2011

Andy

Is it open to international participants?

June 25, 2011

Brett

Same ? as above, really interested and i don't mind paying for int. shipping... i'm used to it.

June 25, 2011

Gabe

I'm not really concerned of paying the int. shipping but the taxes which have to be paid in the specific american state AND in the country I am living. If it's the case I must pay 30% of 10.000 $ and excuse me but thats a lot !

June 26, 2011

Andy

To answer a couple of questions:

!) Yes, the contest is open to international endusers.We had multiple non-US participants last year and they all contributed great pieces.
2) this year, shipping, unfortunately, has to be paid by the enduser. But, frankly, focus on winning first. creative means will always arise in times of need.
3)the list of prizes is mentioned above by Koo, but i'll repost it : http://www.ikancorp.com/ikanVideoContest/2011/Guidelines.html
on the very same page, it also mentions the drop off site (vimeo) as well as the judges for this year's contest.

Hope to see everyone interested come and participate! Cheers,

Ryan

June 27, 2011

I was reading the judging criteria and they want the film to make use of their brand and products. The example video is quite ridiculous with a guy proposing to a monitor and follow focus. How serious are they about having to include their gear in the story like that?

June 26, 2011

Clayton

I was wondering the same question. I don't own any of their products and have some ideas for a script, but don't know the seriousness of the judging.

June 28, 2011

Trevor

Still no answer if it's needed to put the ikan brand in your film.
I want to know how serious the judges will take this criteria.
And if so, does any ikan product has to come in the film, or is it enough to say "shot with a ikan follow focus"?
I hope Koo or any other judge can respond to this.

June 30, 2011

Menno

Yeah, please answer, because maybe I can just buy a bag or something as opposed to spending hundreds on a monitor.

June 30, 2011

Matt

Koo,
can you please reply to this?

July 3, 2011

Menno

In the guidelines it says, "Use our products, our name, our logo or all three." So you don't have to have a product, you can show their logo or say their name or...

July 3, 2011

Ryan Koo
Founder
Writer/Director

Is it open to international participants?

June 26, 2011

Jabed

I don't see anything restricting to the contest to U.S entrants, but I've asked ikan to answer your questions here.

June 26, 2011

Ryan Koo
Founder
Writer/Director

Is there an official list of prizes, or just the possibilities? I, for one, couldn't find a use for a majority of those prizes, so if I were to win (hypothetically), it would be nice to at least know what I was getting.

June 26, 2011

Pete

Each prize here has a slideshow of the products included:

June 26, 2011

Ryan Koo
Founder
Writer/Director

This is the best:

"IMPORTANT NOTE: Make sure to keep it clean. Nudity, foul language and obscene or profane behavior are not recommended! Fight scenes, explosions, gunfire and light saber fights are perfectly fine."

... what kind of world we live in... : (

July 1, 2011

Rafa_Ga

Is this Contest Open for people all over The World? Since i am Living in Germany....

Thanks!

July 3, 2011

Chaoz Studios

Yes, it's answered in the comments above by ikan: "Yes, the contest is open to international endusers.We had multiple non-US participants last year and they all contributed great pieces."

July 3, 2011

Ryan Koo
Founder
Writer/Director

Real proud of you Koo, judging contests, about to hit 5K facebook likes...really enjoying watching your rise...

July 3, 2011

Keith

Thanks so much, Keith. Now I just need to get my feature underway...

July 3, 2011