July 6, 2011

Adapter is a Free Everything-to-Everything Transcoding App for Mac and Windows

Ever since VisualHub was discontinued, there's been a dearth of freeware transcoding apps on the Mac. I've since recommended MPEG Streamclip, but a true "everything to everything" program hasn't been available in the free arena. As of a week ago you can grab the new version of Apple Compressor for $50, but they didn't update the program to 64-bit or even change the interface from the last version (which I was never a fan of). Thus newcomer Adapter, while still in beta, looks promising:

The application also offers some other interesting features, like flash video downloading from the internet (just input a URL). The list of compatible file formats:

3g2, 3gp, 4xm, RoQ, ac3, alaw, asf, asf_stream, au, audio_dice, avi, crc, daud, dc1394, s, dv, dv1394, dvd, ea, ffm, film_cpk, flic, flv, gif, h261, h263, h264, idcin, image, image2, image2pipe, imagepipe, ipmovie, m4v, matroska, mjpeg, mmf, mov, mov, mp4, m4a, 3gp, 3g2, mp2, mp3, mp4, mpeg, mpeg1video, mpeg2video, mpegts, mpegvideo, mpjpeg, mulaw, nsv, null, nut, ogg, psp, psxstr, rawvideo, redir, rm, rtp, rtsp, s16be, s16le, s8, sdp, shn, sol, svcd, swf, u16be, u16le, u8, vcd, video4linux, vmd, vob, wav, wc3movie, wsaud, wsvqa, yuv4mpegpipe

I haven't tested it in depth but a quick conversion showed fast results (on a fast hackintosh, at least) with good quality.

Link: Adapter

[via Lifehacker]

Looks cool. Can Adapter batch convert like Streamclip can?

July 6, 2011

From the screenshot, it looks to me like it can.

On an unrelated note, the logo puzzles me... looks cool, but then there's that weird curve and spike at the bottom. Totally breaks the flow, looks like a mistake... but it's all over their website so I guess it's intentional.

July 6, 2011

Luke

I thought the same thing. Fix the logo, please! We're too OCD to allow such a thing to go unnoticed.

July 6, 2011

Alec Sprinkle

well... almost everything. I don't see .webm in the list which I had to convert to recently for an html5 project. Nice to have this to convert to other similar formats though like ogg which I also had to deliver.

July 7, 2011

Clayton

For PC users you had AVS Media Converter, it's very much like Adapter only it costs $59. Guess I'm switching to this one. Thanks NFS!

July 7, 2011

Diego

It's based on ffmpeg and can't convert Prores. Still looking for a Converter that gives me the quality of Handbrake but can handle Prores-Files. Any idea? h246-conversion on Streamclip does't even look close to Handbrake.

July 7, 2011

Marc

Try MovieConverter Studio it converts native MTS files to AIC though, not Prores but maybe helpful to you.
Cheers
Paul

July 8, 2011

Paul Sellen

Nah... VisualHub rules!

July 7, 2011

Rafa_Ga

i don't see wmv on there. i need to convert quicktimes to wmv's.

July 7, 2011

dixter

Haha, should read 'converts anything to anything EXCEPT WMV.'

Nothing does 'anything,' there's always 'something' that it doesn't do. Oh well.

July 11, 2011

editwizard

@ dixter, try http://www.zamzar.com/

July 7, 2011

breeze

Looks a pretty useful tool. I am still in awe of Super (here - http://www.erightsoft.com/SUPER.html), which has handled pretty much everything I wanted (even stupid random requests from clients for changing wmv's to swf and things like that). It handles batch conversions and everything too. Its just a bit overwhelming (the GUI is for people who know what they are doing, which, I imagine, is a lot of the people on here!). Their website is pretty horrible too, but worth it. Quick Media Converter (here - http://www.cocoonsoftware.com/) is also pretty handy, and has some good presets for things I just need to change over quickly. Will look into Adapter a bit more though, might be a good option.

July 8, 2011

Forgot to say - both of those are free too!

July 8, 2011

I really need to go from H.264 to ProRes. It looks like a great program, but of little use to me.

July 8, 2011

Thanks breeze for the zamzar link but, I think I'd rather have my own 'in-computer' app to convert.
I downloaded MPEG Streamclip but, unless I'm missing something, it doesn't have a wmv output option.
Can anyone suggest an app that converts qt's to wmv?

Chad Dyle, you should try Rarevisions '5DtoRGB'... http://rarevision.com/5dtorgb/

July 8, 2011

dixter

How about this one FREE STUDIO at

or try this one

Free Video Converter

July 8, 2011

Donald

Looks interesting, but MPEG Streamclip, coupled with the perian QT plugin (both free) still give fantasic results, and read just about anything. Not sure how this improves on things...

July 9, 2011

BigMucho

.. And I agree with about the Compressor GUI. As radically as they changed the FCPX gui why does Compressor still feel and look like a 15 year old app?

July 9, 2011

BigMucho

I still use, and love VisualHub. But I'm still using Leopard and I've heard it breaks when you upgrade to Snow. What a shame, never really got a satisfying answer to why this fantastic program went dark.

July 10, 2011

Doesnt work. It gives me FFmpegOutputDecoder.parseError...

July 13, 2011

santoro

Hello mates, how is everything, and what you
desire to say on the topic of this post, in my view its actually amazing in favor of me.

August 12, 2014