Let's talk about work/life balance and significant others!

August 13, 2011

Adobe Takes 'Story' to the Next Level (the Mobile Level)

In-the-cloud screenwriting app Adobe Story is free until April 12th, 2012. I got a chance to use it recently (instead of my normal app -- and industry standard -- Final Draft) because I was in search of a two-column, A/V writing layout and I find Celtx's A/V mode disappointing. In the process I found out Story now has an iPhone app that's also free. Unlike the mobile version of Celtx, Story doesn't let you edit the screenplay through iOS, but it does let you read scripts, add comments, read notes from others, and sync everything to the cloud. Adobe's making a play to offer a complete script-to-screen solution, and Story is a central piece. Here's the desktop version in action:

Link: Adobe Story, iPhone version

[via HandHeld Hollywood]

This is very intriguing. I currently use Scripped.com. A little known fact about moi is that I was one of the guys that negotiated the licensing deal that created Movie Magic Screenwriter. Back in the '90 I was finance director of Screenplay Systems (now the Write Bros.), creators of Movie Magic software. We licensed code from a little developer making a product called Script Thing. Final Draft was kicking our bootray (we were selling Scriptor, a program that would modify word processing files into script format) and so we needed an all-in-one solution. FD is still the industry standard, but MMS has gained some ground. I still use that too on occasion. I like to use Scripped because I love all these cloud-computing.

Anyway, thanks for the tip.

August 13, 2011

Stupid to have developed the mobile app for The Church of Jobs fanboys only, and not for Android.

August 15, 2011

You DO know not all iPhone users are fanboys, right?

August 15, 2011

Alec Sprinkle

No, I'm pretty sure all iphone users ARE fanboys (except for the fangirls).

August 15, 2011

Aaron

LOL....

January 8, 2013

ocube

Kill me if I ever use a tiny device like and iPhone to write a script.
This has to be a joke, who in their right mind use an i-anything to write a story!

BTW, I use the 'STORY' for my scripts and it has enough problems with a PC to make it work. Lots and lots of bugs when I used it first but slowly they are fixing it. The team responsible is very FAST to fix things and excellent communication with them.

Much as I love the concept of cloud writing, it's still a struggle at times with bugs and thigs not working properly. One big plus is, you never have to worry about losing anything you wrote :)
I recommend the 'STORY' for any serious screen writer, give it a shot.

August 19, 2011

karl

WHile I could live through their bugs I just cant trust all my scripts online (yep, I am one of those guys that still prefer things on 3 different harddrives). Now that I have a cloud subscription I use the offline version of Story, I think thats where the fun really is as I am not dependent on an internet connection.

January 8, 2013