Superproducer Ted Hope on...

August 27, 2011

Ingenious CineSkates Camera Sliders for HDSLRs Blow Away Kickstarter Goal in One Day

Ever since those iPod Nano watches raised almost a million dollars on Kickstarter, it's been clear that crowdfunding campaigns like helping an indie filmmaker make his first feature film pale in comparison to efforts where backers are simply pre-buying a cool gizmo. An alarmingly small percentage of the population is buying or renting movies, and it follows that it's harder to persuade folks to back a project if the only reward is a DVD -- thus my effort to also send the unique frames of Man-child to backers, so they'll receive a more personalized reward for helping make it a reality. Okay, back to the gizmos, as this one's very cool: CineSkates are a set of custom-designed rollerblade wheels paired with a Joby Gorillapod Focus tripod that allow for some very cool low-angle shots with an HDSLR. Check out the Kickstarter campaign, which reached its funding goal in a single day and still has over a month to go:

Check out the Kickstarter campaign if you want a pair -- they're $150 on their own or $275 with the required Joby hardware. As you can see in the widget below, they've already crossed the 500% funded mark -- amazing. I think I might just have to get a set, given this could be useful on a basketball film. Of course, if you're thinking of dropping hundreds of dollars on a camera accessory, please think about dropping a few dollars on a feature film! [thanks, Jacques]

Okay, how do I buy them?

August 27, 2011

Click on the Kickstarter widget...

August 27, 2011

Ryan Koo
Founder
Writer/Director

unless I read it wrong, I believe that your source to support that nobody is buying or renting movies is only talking about digital rentals and sales, not DVDs or bluerays which could still be quite strong.

August 28, 2011

Clayton

HOW IS THIS INGENIOUS?!
/frustration/

i am convinced these things are entirely useless.
i do not understand why anyone would buy them, ever.

even if you do want the ONE shot they give you, spider trax dolly's do the same thing for cheaper.

August 28, 2011

Chris Hubbard

This idea has been around for awhile. The Skater Dolly http://www.pstechnik.de/en/skater-mini-camera-dolly.php got a Tech Achievement Award (Oscar) in 2007 and an Emmy Award in 2008, so there are quite a few pros who disagree with you. Check-out their demo video http://www.ready2roll.de/Skatertest/Player/01Trailer.html BTW the Skater will handle the weight of a 35mm motion picture camera.

If you shoot television/web commercials, $275.00 for the CineSkate is cheap.

August 28, 2011

c.d.embrey

I wonder if being picked up by Engadget (one of the most trafficked tech blogs in the world) on 8/25 contributed to the success of this campaign. :)

August 29, 2011

Hmm, weird if they are awarded the patent, since using skateboard wheels for camera support isn't anything new..

In combination with the gorillamount it sure looks great..

September 2, 2011

Andrew Jakobs

@Andrew:
I don't think they have a patent for this... if they do, I'd like to see the patent number published. It can be looked up but am not spending my time on this.

September 3, 2011

Tang

Yeah you can definitely get some unique shots with it...if you have a table near by...or a car hood. I've used a slider for various shots and can't think of any single slider shot in which I could accomplish with these cineskates.

September 2, 2011

Joe

I bought one of these CineSkates after seeing it on Kickstarter after backing Koo's feature (come on fans of NoFilmSchool!....support Koo, damnit!.... he's provided lots of great info over the last year for FREE... time to pay back a bit!)

I realized that I could probably create my own CineSkate thingy, but the combination of supporting another entrepreneur AND getting a finished product that will enable me to shoot cool 360's was enough to fork out the $275.

Koo, maybe you could work out some affiliate thing with the Cineskate guys.... you shoot tons of cool 360 shots in your basketball feature with Cineskates, and they plug funding for ManChild?

September 2, 2011

ya know, good luck for getting that much money for your project, but I could have this made in China for $12,000 including all the molds and part for it.... and deliver 2000 units that could be sold for less than $30 USD.

This kind of insanity just shows you people have way too much money to spend on items that may get used a few times.

September 3, 2011

Tang

A. You get what you pay for.

B. Money isn't that hard to come by if you stop wasting time worrying about clipping coupons and start using your time to DO something productive. I've done the DIY stedicam, the DIY underwater enclosure, the DIY lens adapter and aside from the joy i get from being in my garage, i would have been better off spending my time earning the money to buy the products from the people who engineered them.

C. I do not believe for a second that you could deliver a comparably functional and quality product for $30, even with (increasingly expensive) Chinese labor. Cheaper, perhaps, but life-changingly cheap? I doubt it.

September 4, 2011

James N

i actually do not know ANYONE who PAYS for films any more. apart from the odd truly special cinema release, why the ****k would anyone want to pay for what is free?

as for kickstarter 'give me money to make my first feature' they're dime a dozen. good luck with it though, aside from generous friends and family that is.

September 3, 2011

jooks

. . . sorry being a bit of a cynical ass there! excuse me. work on chaps, i'm also in the club :)

September 3, 2011

jooks

Sheesh Jooks! As far as Kickstarter goes, my campaign is not all friends and family. In fact, I would guesstimate that so far less than 10% of the 700 backers are relatives or personal friends -- instead, it's the indie film community showing support in a truly amazing way. Cynical indeed!

September 3, 2011