November 10, 2011

NextWaveDV Launches Video Business 101 Course and Crowdfunds 'Film Scene'

Not everyone who reads this site is working on a feature film. Many of you make a living by running a video production company, and for some this is the ultimate goal. Take on clients, build a business shooting/editing/producing, and be your own boss. NextWaveDV have launched a training course designed to help production companies make a living independently, and I've got a discount coupon code for it below. Also, they're running a fundraiser for a neat new series, Film Scene, which will be "the show that takes scenes from your favorite movies and teaches you how to recreate them on an indie film budget."

Here's Video Business 101:

Use the coupon code "nofilmschool11" to get 10% off the introductory price of $50.

Rather than raise money to launch their new show Film Scene using something like Kickstarter, they're instead running a sale on items in their store. Film Scene sounds like a great idea, here's the trailer:

Links:

Thanks for the info, good to know about this!

November 10, 2011 at 3:35PM, Edited September 4, 10:54AM

Huascar

Its funny that in the first video he's telling us how he's made a good living and how he will teach us how to as well.

Then the next video he's asking for our monetary help.

November 10, 2011 at 6:50PM, Edited September 4, 10:54AM

isaac

Nothing in life is free. I've condensed what would be an entire classroom series into one video. If you want it, check it out, if not, continue on.

...and in order to get our new series off the ground, we will need funds. I make enough to feed my family but I'm not going to take money out of my pocket to pay for this project.

November 10, 2011 at 7:48PM, Edited September 4, 10:54AM

he is not only awesome, but does so much for independent filmmakers ... hats off to you Tony:)

November 11, 2011 at 6:55PM, Edited September 4, 10:54AM

squarebk

Hey man

i appreciatte all you do. I just found it somewhat ironic.

Im definitely a fan and i look forward to it

cheers
zacka

November 15, 2011 at 10:06PM, Edited September 4, 10:54AM

isaac

First chapter is: wear an oversized tie and sit on an old gradnma's chair to look like a business magnate that is anxious to share all his amazin secrets (for 45 bucks)

November 10, 2011 at 8:00PM, Edited September 4, 10:54AM

Dan

This is a tough deal. Look Tony, the Kickstarter analogy falls flat; struggling artists use this method to finance their film and realize a dream that would otherwise not be possible. You seem to be suggesting something similar, a fundraising ploy, immediately after pitching your video biz course which presumably contains the 'secrets' to financial success. Realizing your dream ought to be possible because you are representing to us that you possess marketable skills that you wish to sell. You like this Film Scene thing just enough to use other people's money but not your own ("I'm not going to take money out of my pocket to pay for this project") and you'll accept other people's money for your 'entire classroom series'.

I saw a video or two by you way back when you were patching together your first crummy rig (I had a crummy rig too!) You've come a long way since then. Tend to your reputation - it takes forever to build it and a moment to wreck it.

November 10, 2011 at 10:39PM, Edited September 4, 10:54AM

Jim Malmstrom

When I said "I’m not going to take money out of my pocket to pay for this project" I meant I'm not taking money that goes to feeding my family and putting a roof over their head to pay for a educational series. That said, we're looking to raise money by selling quality products from our store. I'm not asking people to just give us money for nothing. This is why I decided not to use Kickstarter. It's quite simple: we have products, we're running a sale, if you like the products pick them up at a discount and help us fund our next project. If not, feel free to move along. The success of my production company is kept separate from my training site. That's just smart business.

November 10, 2011 at 10:58PM, Edited September 4, 10:54AM

It never ceases to amaze me how many "big talk- do littles" will jump all over someone like vultures.

At least he s doing something. . .

Here's to all the people that have left the peanut gallery and are havin' a go at it.

November 10, 2011 at 11:08PM, Edited September 4, 10:54AM

Granville

Feel free to move along? C'mon Tony - I subscribe to No FIlm School so when I open my mail I get you!

Brother, I'm trying to suggest to you that you aren't aware of how shabby this looks. Watching what looks like a bunch of late night infomercials, a cynic might recall the old adage "Those that can do and those that can't teach." Clearly you can "do."

So, a little more of that, a little less of this.

I will now "move along'"

November 10, 2011 at 11:15PM, Edited September 4, 10:54AM

Jim Malmstrom

Hey just wanted to say the video business content looks awesome. Hmmm...Like Aristotle said " the only way to avoid criticism is to do nothing, say nothing, and be nothing." Keep up the good work.

November 11, 2011 at 12:57AM, Edited September 4, 10:54AM

I agree with Jim, I respect you for jumping out there with a product. But I'm a very successful marketer and video/visual effects guy. And something isn't making sense. Nothing in this course so far has even hinted to anything that even comes close to making money in video. I have private coaching clients who all I do is teach them how to make hundreds of thousands of dollars using video. And I can't relate to anything you're doing so far. I'm talking $60k/month type of money.

But its seems this course is misleading people to believe that this course will lead to financial success when only 2 chapter address marketing and advertising, and those are near the end?? Thats a big red flag man. I'm in the training and production businesses as well. I don't do online training for the masses, more like coaching and I would love to let people know about your course but....The chapters having nothing to do with making real money in the video business. Maybe $20k or so, but....if you want to make over a million a year in business....the first 5 chapters are useless.

Chapter 7 is called what is marketing?...come on man...if this a business course, marketing is #1, I sell products and services that don't even exist yet.

I'm sorry, it might just be me, but I would strongly disagree with starting a video service business, then learn marketing. That is just...massively risky and puts people deep in holes. I don't know...something about this feel wrong. Again, you did something....kudos...most people don't get that far....execution and accuracy of this particular product.( "HDDSLR 101" looks right on target for the beginner). This can potential hurt a lot of people if they follow the chapter order.

But thats a bias opinion, I'm a sales guy first, camera guy second. But this approach is not how I generated my first million in sales. This is what I was doing when I was making $30k a year in the video business. Thats why I'm so scared for people, this is the approach I took before even 6 figures. I won't do any of that stuff now. I wouldn't even invest in gear.

November 11, 2011 at 1:27AM, Edited September 4, 10:54AM

pixel wiz

This is a beginner's course. This should be implied by having the "101" in the title. We're giving people the tools to make their first $1,000 or $5,000 or $10,000...not their first million. I can honestly say that if I was teaching people how to make a million dollars in video, I wouldn't be charging $50 for the course.

November 11, 2011 at 8:34AM, Edited September 4, 10:54AM

Pixel, do you have a website or email for your private teaching services?

November 11, 2011 at 9:31AM, Edited September 4, 10:54AM

Matthew

Pixel Wiz - put your money where your mouth is, hotshot. The people I know that make that type of money don't even look at websites like this.

November 11, 2011 at 2:33PM, Edited September 4, 10:54AM

D

Yikes! This ain't the way to do things,

'A' for effort but......

November 11, 2011 at 11:33AM, Edited September 4, 10:54AM

Trent

Don't want to be a hater but like the other guy said, it's lame to say - "I'm not going to take money out of my pocket to pay for this project"

Instead you're saying - 'Please reach into YOUR pocket for me.'

November 11, 2011 at 11:44AM, Edited September 4, 10:54AM

UpREZZed

@UpREZZed That is EXACTLY what Kickstarter is. That's what business is really. Somebody makes a great product for people, but he can't pay to make it, so he gets the consumers to pay for it. Is there really anything wrong with that?

November 11, 2011 at 8:38PM, Edited September 4, 10:54AM

Sam

Sam

How can the point be lost on you?

"I make videos that provide you with my 'secrets' (his word) to make money (like I'm doing) in the video business. Buy them."

"Oh, and please buy my products in my store so I can fund this other project". Um...

BTW, I like the FILM SCENE idea too - I think it's a cool idea.

November 12, 2011 at 2:21AM, Edited September 4, 10:54AM

UpREZZed

UpREZZed I get what you're saying, I just disagree. I haven't bought Video Business 101, nor will I. I'm not trying to start out in the film industry. But I'm sure the information given in the series is worth $50 to some people who are starting out and don't know too much about the business side of things.

And I don't see a problem with funding a new series with product sales. I wonder if he would've gotten this much crap if he had used Kickstarter and made his products the rewards for backing. The thing is that he doesn't owe us anything, and we don't owe him. So if you really want to see Film Scene, you might think it's worth it to help him out. If it's not worth it to you, you don't have to do it. No hard feelings either way. See where I'm coming from?

November 12, 2011 at 4:48PM, Edited September 4, 10:54AM

Sam

I don't know whether he would have been criticized for using KickStarter in the manner that you say.
The thing here is different. Perhaps I'm wrong but my belief is that follks usually associate KickStarter with artists (directors, musicians) who are not business guys and need help. Tony is clearly a 'business guy'.

The thing that rubs people the wrong way is the basic premise that I have already stated - "buy a bunch of my stuff so that you'll get to see this." KickStarter also has the "all or nothing" approach which protects contributors and is very public and accountable. WIll that be the case here? If so, bravo.

Call me cynical but selling instructional videos using words like 'secrets' is kinda distastefull. There are no secrets to this stuff. It's all been done before by many more before you came along. Also, this Pixelwiz is correct on much of what he says. Given that you're already selling a basic instructional video why devote 60% of this video to the same material? Why so LITTLE on the How To Make Money part - it's supposed to be the subject!

On the other hand these videos are priced cheap and it is a voluntary excercise as you say. Good point.

November 12, 2011 at 7:10PM, Edited September 4, 10:54AM

UpREZZed

Geez, people on this site are so critical about everything anybody does! If you don't want to help him out, don't. But don't just sit there and bash him. You know he works really hard on this stuff, just let it be!

Thanks Tony, "Film Scene" looks very cool.

November 11, 2011 at 12:12PM, Edited September 4, 10:54AM

Sam

If you don't have anything nice to say....

November 11, 2011 at 12:59PM, Edited September 4, 10:54AM

Brett P

1st vid kind of reminds me of some Tim & Eric vids. I would have gone for sweatier armpits though, good for business.

November 11, 2011 at 10:52PM, Edited September 4, 10:54AM

Shark

To PixelWiz:
Frankly, it seems like you are full of crap! What exactly is your website? If you're as successful as you claim and the marketing guru you think you are, then please share. My guess is you are all talk and probably in debt upto your eyeballs. I base this on 25 years of financial counciling. You're so self absorbed and worried with trying to impress people, you have zero control of your own affairs. It's possible I'm wrong, but after doing what I do for so long, I can spot your type a mile away.

November 12, 2011 at 12:26AM, Edited September 4, 10:54AM

Johnny B

Hey Johnny B
I could use some financial counseling. You got a website?

November 12, 2011 at 12:50AM, Edited September 4, 10:54AM

D

Johnny B

I have never read a post with such specifics even with the boasting, that wasn't legit. Sure he's bragging but you know what they say - "If you can back it up..." The guy's the real deal with REAL experience. I'd bet on it. In fact, seeing your all out attack on him for no reason I'd bet on the fact that you are a pal of TR like the other guy said.

November 12, 2011 at 2:37AM, Edited September 4, 10:54AM

VisceralDigital

Johhny B.

You're a fraud.

Anybody with 25 days, let alone 25 years of financial counseling knows how to spell the word. And it's no typo.

PizelWiz could but and sell you.

Friend of Tony?

November 12, 2011 at 2:27AM, Edited September 4, 10:54AM

CanonBoy

I have served as a President of a smaller broadcasting company, as well as an executive producer of a nationally aired weekly program. I don't get what is being offered here to people serious of getting into film. Why are you wanting donations? I just don't get it. If you have a product that is worth purchasing, it will sell. You are either way ahead of yourself in terms of bringing this forward to the public or you have launched with a seemingly disastrous marketing campaign. I do wish you well but encourage you to rethink your strategy.

November 12, 2011 at 3:27AM, Edited September 4, 10:54AM

Al

Amazing... no matter how many aspiring filmmakers or videographers I talk to, we all seem to want to see others succeed UNLESS you have the misfortune of posting anything on a blog that supports anonymous commenting. Then, the attackers come out - mostly inexperienced and non-professional bullies.

I appreciate Tony, Koo, and all the others who take the time to provide anyone with the chance to learn and the privilege to comment. Until the comments are followed with a link to your Demo Reel and your P&L statements from your conquests, taking a mature road of etiquette should not seem like a foreign concept to you.

November 13, 2011 at 8:13PM, Edited September 4, 10:54AM

John

John

So true. The way these dudes 'D' and 'Johnny B.' came in here to the video guy's defense, getting pretty nasty with people they don't even know is bad. Johnny B. really went off half-cocked ranting and raving. Couldn't even spell the name of the field he's worked in for 25 years!

Anyway - if the video guy is legit truly producing value, he'll take the slings and arrows and prosper. I saw the contents of this new how-to video biz video...the guys above are spot on; there's very little how to biz stuff in there.

November 14, 2011 at 10:07PM, Edited September 4, 10:54AM

Quaker

I think it's ironic that Nextwave charging money for this course. Whatever happened to free information? I really liked your free DSLR guide, but I'm disappointed to read this advertisement about people monetizing knowledge. If anything, all that information should be made free.

How to make money in video? Nextwave's got a great idea: start a video series and charge money for it. Really disappointing.

November 14, 2011 at 5:20AM, Edited September 4, 10:54AM

Alex

"all that information should be made free"
Are you joking? So you think college should be free...workshops, online training courses...all free? You're not going to get very far in life if you're note willing to invest in a good education.

November 14, 2011 at 11:51AM, Edited September 4, 10:54AM

James

Oh no, you're right. But you see, a university education is worth the money. Why give a bunch of idiots 50 bucks for something that's unproven? Better spend that money elsewhere. Launching a video production business won't happen because you bought this DVD series. I went to university for this sort of thing and spend thousands on proper education. It sickens me to see people who don't even know what they're doing packaging knowledge and selling it off. Success in video production will rely on if you've been properly trained at a reputable school and your colleagues. Losing 50 bucks on this stupid series won't get you anywhere.

My advice: go to school or learn from the pros like Laforet instead.

November 15, 2011 at 5:54AM, Edited September 4, 10:54AM

Alex

Dear Mr. President:

I would warn you of posting such behavior such as drug use and the killing of endangered animals in fear of prosecution, but it occurred to me that you have diplomatic immunity.

Your post summed it up quite well.

Best wishes on your next project. Say hello to Spielberg for me, please.

November 15, 2011 at 6:47PM, Edited September 4, 10:54AM

John

Don't listen to any of the comments these riff-raff are spouting.

I happen to be the president of a major European country (you'll know it), and I feel qualified to criticise Mr. Reale for neither giving his hard work away for free or making it so that it'll instantly earn you millions. I take a personal grievance with his notion that you could possibly learn anything useful outside a respectable Ivy league university! Preposterous!

I get paid billions for my films. I schooled Godard, Karostami, Fincher and Hitchcock. I use only the finest cocaine off the buttocks of Lithuanian supermodels. I lit fire to Richard Branson's house. I shoot endangered species whilst dressed in the fur of other endangered species. I am the 0.0001%.

Filmmaking isn't supposed to be about constantly learning and improving your craft; it's about criticising people over the internet whilst being massaged by Cuban virgins and feeling quite vocally superior.

November 15, 2011 at 4:22AM, Edited September 4, 10:54AM

Chad Hustlington

Can you train me how to be massaged by Cuban Virgins? Is there a website I can go to?

November 15, 2011 at 9:11AM, Edited September 4, 10:54AM

Peter

See the comment above yours...

Signed,
Easily Confused By Blogs

November 15, 2011 at 6:48PM, Edited September 4, 10:54AM

John

And the "funniest comment of the year" award goes to...

November 15, 2011 at 8:52PM, Edited September 4, 10:54AM

Ryan Koo
Founder
Writer/Director

Wow.. all the idiots decided to hate on this project. :O
My god, I haven't even read all the comments but the sheer stupidity and ignorance of most of you haters is just phenomenal..

I've built up my business by learning from Tony and many others like him, people who are willing to share their knowledge and experience with others (and of course lots of effort, time, practice, research etc..)
This is coming from someone who is not hiding his identity like most of you idiotic haters..

I think it's a great idea Tony!

December 29, 2011 at 9:36PM, Edited September 4, 10:54AM