February 14, 2012

John August and Stu Maschwitz Release 'Fountain,' a Handy Screenwriting Tool/Markup Language

Writing a script on the go has been hit-or-miss. Final Draft still does not have a dedicated screenwriting application on any mobile device (though a reader exists). If you've been looking for an easy way to write a script on your phone or tablet and quickly take it to your desktop - and vice versa - then John August and Stu Maschwitz may have created just what you're looking for with the introduction of Fountain:

A great workflow between Google Docs using Fountain and Final Draft:

Fountain is not really an application - it's a way to translate plain text into script form. John August was attempting to expand on his Scrippets app, and Stu Maschwitz was writing a spec for a similar idea - so the two decided to join forces and create a brilliantly simple way to write a script on any text editor, anywhere. This makes sharing a first draft with a partner vastly easier, and avoids many format issues.

I have had more than my share of issues trying to share screenplays with fellow writers and have everything work perfectly. If it can become a standard - supported natively by Final Draft and Movie Magic Screenwriter (as well as Celtx) - Fountain will make writing and sharing screenplays far easier. At the moment it seems that Final Draft does a very good job translating Fountain.

There have been plenty of times when I have gotten a story idea and just want to write down a simple scene - but have to deal with formatting once I get it into Final Draft. Fountain looks to make this as painless as possible, and since we're dealing with plain text files, they can be archived practically forever.

What do you think of Fountain?

Link: Fountain | A Markup Language for Screenwriting

[via Stu Maschwitz and John August]

I love it. For commercials we've found it a headache to start in FInal Draft (more robust versioning and page locking) and then move the script over for production notes and scheduling in Celtx.

February 14, 2012

Angelo

Going between Final Draft and Celtx (and other programs for that matter) can be a mess. I'm glad you love it - I'm excited for Fountain. John and Stu are both really intelligent people, and it's refreshing that they decided to collaborate and do something that benefits the community as a whole.

February 14, 2012

Joe Marine
Editor-at-Large
Shooter/Writer/Director

Thanks again to everone who voted for Parasite on YobiTV!

Thanks to your votes I made it to the round 3 finals.

If you voted before or you like the movie please vote again everyday at:

Remember you can vote once everyday so the more you vote the better my chances of winning!

You can log into YobiTV quickly and easily with a Facebook or email account, it's really quick.

Don't forget to show Parasite to your friends, family and co-workers and get people voting.

Once again, a big thanks to everyone for thier support.

February 15, 2012

Wow. I've never seen your entry or any of the others, but this kind of off-topic spamming tempts me to go to this site specifically to vote for somebody else.

February 15, 2012

Michael

Does anyone know of a good program for writing documentary scripts/shooting scripts? What I'm really looking for is something where I can have the dialogue (sections of interviews, voiceover) on one side of a page, and a description of the b-roll on the other side, but keep them tied together (i.e. this b-roll clip tied to this line of dialogue) so that if I move things around on one side, the other side is adjusted automatically (or at least it had that as an optional feature)

February 15, 2012

Look up Celtx, they have a template for A/V scrips which is exactly what you're looking for.

February 15, 2012

Angelo

Why not just use Celtx? It'll et you back a whopping $10 to have it on your desktop, iPad and iPhone and, though it's not automatic, you can sync across all devices without having to translate a single period. Plus, with Celtx Studio you have easy collaboration.

February 17, 2012

Richard

Not anymore. They completely changed the program. I had all my scripts on my iTouch, and now the only way for me to get them off is to email them to myself and format it to Fountain.

March 1, 2012

Jaime

I am using Move Draft these days, form the Mac store, and it is so elegant and wonderful!

February 17, 2012