JVC Getting in on the Action Camera Market with the GC-XA1 Adixxion
Not to be outdone by GoPro, Contour, and newcomer Sony, JVC is entering the action camera market with the unfortunately named GC-XA1 Adixxion. Are we about to see an explosion in action or “pov” cameras? GoPro has a healthy lead in this area, and it looks like the big guys, namely Sony and JVC, feel that the semi-disposable wearable camera market is only going to grow in the near future. JVC, however, is looking at the higher-end possibilities with this camera, and they’ve made the Adixxion a lot more fully-featured than the competition.
Here are some videos showing off the Adixxion in action:
These are the main features of the JVC camera:
- Quad-Proof Design: 16.4 ft. (5m) Waterproof/6.6 ft. (2m) Shockproof/Dust proof/Freeze proof
- Built-in Wi-Fi (smartphone linking, streaming and remote control functions)
- 5M CMOS Sensor
- 1.5-inch LCD Monitor
- 5x Digital Zoom
- Digital Image Stabilizer (DIS)
- Full HD 1920×1080 30p Recording
- 5 Megapixel Stills
- SD/SDHC/SDXC Card Slot
- Time-Lapse REC
- White Balance (Auto & Manual) / Exposure (Auto)
- HDMI® Terminal (mini)
Unlike the GoPro devices, JVC is building the Adixxion with pretty much every feature you can think of as standard. They are pulling out all the stops right from the get-go, with built in WiFi as a standard feature. This is one of the most interesting competitors to GoPro that I’ve seen so far, and it looks like it just might surpass the Sony action camera in specs. At $350, it’s a little more expensive than the higher-end GoPro models, but it has a few more features and seems to be built like a tank. The only question is when Canon and Panasonic are going to enter the action camera market. Hopefully thanks to the competition the trend will be more features for lower prices, as I don’t think people will want to spend another $350 if it gets lost or drops off a mountain.
The JVC camera should be out sometime this summer, but in the meantime, what do you guys think of it compared to the competition?
- GoPro Not the New Kid on the Block Anymore, Sony Releasing Their Own 'Action Camera' This Fall
- Will Nikon Enter the Large Sensor Video Camera Market to Compete with Canon and Sony?
- The GoPro HERO2 is Good at Capturing Things We'd Rather be Doing