June 29, 2012

How Well Does the Canon 7D Mosaic Engineering Filter Remove Aliasing and Moire?

Back in May it was announced that the Canon 7D anti-aliasing/moire filter from Mosaic Engineering was being released, and there were plans to make one for the other cameras as well. We already know how well the filter works for the Canon 5D, but it was anyone's guess if they had fixed any of the issues with the original filter. Sebastian over at cinema5D takes a look at the filter and compares an unfiltered 7D in the video embedded below:

So to answer the first question, the filter works very well at reducing aliasing and moire. As you can see, it removes most of the aliasing/moire issues without completely destroying the sharpness of the camera (though Sebastian did add some sharpening in some of the shots). The filter seems to fix the wide angle issues that the original 5D filter had, and whether this is due to the smaller sensor is unclear. It's definitely a step in the right direction, and considering that the new T4i suffers from aliasing and moire just as bad as the original cameras that share the 18 megapixel sensor, it won't be too long before they've designed one to fit that camera to go along with the others they are designing for the T2i, T3i, and 60D.

Head on over to cinema5D to read the rest of Sebastian's list of positives and negatives about the filter. You can purchase the 7D or the 5D filter from the links below. The 7D filter will run you $325 and the 5D filter costs $385. It's certainly worth the purchase if you've got no other options for cameras and moire is ruining your shots.

Link: VAF-7D – Mosaic Engineering Store & VAF-5D2 – Mosaic Engineering Store

[via cinema5D]

Pretty impressive!

June 29, 2012

McBlakewich

Am I the only person not terribly bothered by a little aliasing? If I was shooting something for projection on a movie screen I would probably start to get annoyed with it but for web video stuff, camera nerds are the only people that are noticing it.

June 29, 2012

I don't mind it too much; I think the fact that people are used to looking at video games means that most people won't mind too much.

June 29, 2012

cows

I hate aliasing so much!

June 29, 2012

Kinda depends. If it's just a small area tweaking out a bit then no big deal, but if somebody's entire jacket looks like it's in a disco, then kindof a big deal.

June 30, 2012

Clayton Arnall

I don't think you shot on DSLRs enough?

July 2, 2012

Joe

come on, it totally wrecks the shot on close-woven patterns, brickwork etc, this filter is great

July 6, 2012

jay

A little expensive?

June 29, 2012

Robert

Yeah, I agree. At half the price I'd buy one of these without thinking, but I don't know that it bothers me that much to spend a significant portion of money that I could put towards a new lens or a whole heap of other accessories that will make more of an appreciable impact on my actual work and workflow.

June 30, 2012

Mike

Come on guys, aliasing is one of the major downfalls of this camera and now there's a fix. Be happy! The general public might not be able to pick it out and identify what aliasing is, but they know bad video when they see it. And nothing screams "bad video" like aliasing. As for price, it's a little more than I'd like to pay, but in a market flooded with dslrs this might set you apart from everyone else. I'm glad I have the option now.

June 30, 2012

Mike H.

it also elevates the camera above the ever-so-common dlsr 'look' IMO, quite clearly in fact, will easily become the new standard filter for people working with dlsrs to any serious degree

July 6, 2012

jay

if you use 3x crop mode, a lot of these effects go away since you're sampling closer to sensor resolution. just put a wide lens on it like tokina 11-16mm and you get a your quality shot, minus different depth of field, but w/e.

June 30, 2012

shakezoolah

There is quite a bit of softening, no different than the 5D mark III with the anti-alias filter on. Too me, not a great option. But it does the job if a job requires it.

July 1, 2012

Can this work for still photography as well? That would be useful!

July 5, 2012

James

This wouldn't be good for still photography, since the still photos already have a low pass filter designed to get rid of moire at around 4K and above. The reason this works is because it's designed for 1080p video images, so anything above that in resolution will be blurred - which would make still images unusably soft.

July 5, 2012

Joe Marine
Editor-at-Large
Shooter/Writer/Director

Awesome Joe, Great work, as usual.
What about the Nikon D800 and this marvelous filter?
Big drawback: the focusing distance change!!!

When is it coming the next part of the test D800 vs Mark III?

July 6, 2012

Matías

what exact 'post sharpening' did he use? obviously colour correction .. 'sharpening' .. what else?

July 6, 2012

jay

Can't you achieve the same thing with a soft filter on the lens? all it's doing is blurring fine details that confuse the camera, right?

November 24, 2013