Create an Original Sigur Rós Video for a Chance to Win $5,000
Some of you may have already seen the video that was posted over the weekend (which starred Shia LaBeouf), but if you haven't, it's quite a heartbreaking trip. Sigur Rós, whose members hail from Iceland, has been asking specific filmmakers to make videos for their new album Valtari. The project, called the Mystery Film Experiment, has made the biggest news with the Alma Har'el directed experimental video, but there have been a few others released so far -- with more being released throughout the summer and fall. Since the band is a bit outside the mainstream when it comes to much of their work, it's no surprise that they are encouraging filmmakers from any and all backgrounds to make a video for a chance to win $5,000 and be a featured video in the Mystery Film Experiment.
Here are the details:
Sigur Rós are inviting film makers and video directors to create an original video for one of the tracks from their new album Valtari. In keeping with the Mystery Film Experiment concept, the brief is completely open for entrants to take inspiration from the world around them to devise and execute a masterpiece.
The winning video will receive an official place - alongside all the other creative artists and directors - in the Mystery Film Experiment pantheon showcased on the front page of sigur-ros.co.uk. Additionally, the winning film maker/director will receive a $5,000 cash prize.
Submit by: September 10, 2012
Vote: September 11, 2012, 10am PST - September 18, 2012, 10am PST
Winner Announced: October 2, 2012
- All videos submitted must be original content and the full length of your chosen track from Sigur Rós's album Valtari
- Entrants can select any track from the album which is available to download here
- Participants must submit their video to YouTube or Vimeo then paste the video URL and click 'Get Video'
- Videos must be submitted at least 48 hours prior to the submission deadline
- You must include a description about your submission
If you don't happen to be the video chosen by Sigur Rós, there is still some great exposure opportunity and other prizes:
Three further 'highly commended' directors will receive:
- Exposure for their video which will be featured on Sigur Rós'social media channels
- Sigur Rós' merchandise including t-shirts, posters and a copy of Valtari
Highest Voted Winner:
The highest voted film maker/director will have their video featured across Sigur Rós' YouTube and social media channels. In addition, they will receive:
- An 'Everything' package signed by the band, including an exclusive Icelandic Valtari blanket, t-shirt and art print
- A copy of Valtari, in any format
So what are you waiting for? It could be a great opportunity for filmmakers of all skill and experience levels to possibly win some money or at least be featured on their website, and the nature of the project gives filmmakers limitless options to do what they want with the band's songs.