We've relaunched as a full community! Get the scoop:

August 3, 2012

Get In-Depth with 'The Dark Knight Rises' Sound Design Team (Including Hans Zimmer)

Christopher Nolan's last few films have all had one thing in common: very detailed sound design. Maybe that goes without saying for a large Hollywood film, but the depth and scope of the sound work is what really helps each of his films come together. We've talked about SoundWorks Collection before, when we shared their video for Prometheus, but this time they take a look at the team behind The Dark Knight Rises, including the movie's composer, Hans Zimmer.

If you're wondering how you can improve your film (assuming the visuals are already fantastic), sound design and music are usually the two places you can look first. While it helps to have a huge budget to back up your sound ambitions, a lot of what the sound design team does is problem-solving. They ask themselves how they can make each particular visual element that much more powerful with the use of sound, and then they figure out how to combine and rework those individual pieces until they work together harmoniously to improve each other.

Like anything, sound is all about trial and error, and it's interesting to hear them talk about trying to improve Tom Hardy's voice by adding all sorts of different elements, but in the end, they removed all of the extraneous bits and just let his vocal performance stand on its own. Decisions like that are what can make or break a film, and it's important to be conscience of those things when you're working on your own film.

Link: SoundWorks Collection - The Dark Knight Rises

Now this is what I'm talking about...love it.

August 3, 2012

Great !!! thx Joe

August 3, 2012

Black dynamite

That was really cool. Thanks for sharing!

August 3, 2012

Cory Ewing

Woow ! I don't know what else to say, just Woow !

August 3, 2012

Roberto M

Brilliant. Thanks for sharing.

August 4, 2012

Very cool featurette. I was wondering if they would talk about Bane's voice, because I felt that was the sound design team's weak point. To me, it always sounded ADRed, and I think that may be why so many people don't like his voice, because a lot of those people don't know what ADR is so when they hear something that isn't mixed just right, they don't like it and just automatically think it's the voice itself. Though that's just my thought on it.

Otherwise, very good stuff.

August 4, 2012

Anton

One thing to keep in mind: IMAX cameras are very loud in terms of the noise they generate on set. If there's dialogue in an IMAX scene it is most likely ADR'd out of necessity.

August 7, 2012

Ryan Koo
Founder
Writer/Director

I knew Bane would be ADRed regardless of which camera was being used, simply because he has a mask on. But it sounded very obvious and poorly mixed to me.

August 11, 2012

Anton

Question for more experienced filmmakers... So when the editor cuts a film like this, does s/he edit the entire movie with no music/sound effects? How difficult is it to hit the emotional rises and falls when you are cutting without music/sound? Any insights into that process would be greatly appreciated.

August 4, 2012

Ray

That's a really great question, Ray, and I'd also be interested about what other people think about this subject. My understanding is that the editor cuts the film with temp sound and temp effects on his timelines in order to get the basic feeling of the piece, and then once he has it cut he ships it off to the the sound and vfx departments for the more detailed work.

On the other hand, I've also noticed that a few editors prefer to cut their films silently so that they're not distracted by outside elements such as sound, and then they can focus solely on the task of cutting for purely aesthetic and rhythmic reasons. Obviously a technique like this wouldn't work for cutting dialogue scenes because the editor's primary job in this case is to cut the actor's performance as best as he or she can, which is impossible without taking into account the sound.

When I edit, I typically use both of these methods in that I'll watch the cut with and without sound to make sure that each edit point works visually, rhythmically, and aurally.

Hope that helps.

August 4, 2012

Robert

Thanks Robert for the info.

August 10, 2012

Ray

Something I've wondered about too?

August 4, 2012

Peter

thanks for sharing, nevertheless, I somehow feel the execution of sound in this extract was better than the film itself, I dont no, could be wrong, once again thanks for sharing

August 5, 2012

Theo

Robert...thanks for your reply to Ray's question. Your method might even work for me cuz I have been battling with that same issue

August 9, 2012

tripol

Your blog is one of the most interesting, compelling collections of weekly highlights. One of the very few when it arrives at my inbox I get excited as more than half of the links are very interesting and informative, full of content.
Thanks and keep it up!

August 10, 2012

Liftman Productions

Thanks! We really appreciate the support.

August 10, 2012

Joe Marine
Editor-at-Large
Shooter/Writer/Director

I'm really eyonnijg the theme/design of your blog. Do you ever run into any browser compatibility issues? A small number of my blog audience have complained about my blog not working correctly in Explorer but looks great in Safari. Do you have any solutions to help fix this issue?

March 18, 2014