Enter the Shot on RED Film Festival, Winner Receives a RED SCARLET Camera Package
So you’ve shot a film on RED but you want to actually project that movie for an audience in 4K? With so few films actually being distributed in 4K, aside from renting out a 4K theater, what’s a filmmaker to do? Well, RED is answering that question with their own film festival, which will include both shorts and features from independent productions. The festival will be free to enter, but the deadline is approaching quickly, so you probably won’t have time to shoot something just for the festival if you haven’t done so already — though you can submit films that have already played at other festivals. Click through to read all of the details about the festival.
From Jarred Land on REDUser:
RED is proud to introduce the official first annual SHOT ON RED Film Festival, a showcase of short and feature length independent projects shot on RED cameras.
Held on December 4-5th in Hollywood, CA, this event is intended to bring together some of the brightest visionaries from all over the world, recognizing both the filmmakers and their work.
FINALISTS WILL BE SELECTED in 2 groups:
- 5 features
- 20 shorts
Finalists will be notified on November 16th and will have the opportunity to see their films projected in 4K.
TUESDAY, DECEMBER 4TH – SHORT FILMS
- Ten finalist short features will be shown during a rotating two hour block
WEDNESDAY, DECEMBER 5TH – INDEPENDENT FEATURE LENGTH FILMS
- Top 5 films will be shown. will be incorporated into a reel that will be shown at the event
FESTIVAL GRAND PRIZE
- SCARLET-X camera package
FESTIVAL RUNNER-UP PRIZES
- The latest gear from SHOT ON RED Film Festival sponsors
Please provide a digital press kit (detailed in the form) along with your email submission form.
RED will be accepting 4K film submissions for the following formats:
- ProRes 422/444
These are the important dates:
- Open for Submissions: October 25, 2012
- Deadline for Submissions: November 9, 2012
- Finalists to be Notified: November 16, 2012
- Tuesday, December 4 (Short Film Exhibition)
- Wednesday, December 5 (Feature Exhibition)
The films must be received by November 9th, so if you’ve got a long film, you’ll have to submit your materials fairly soon. If your film is under 15 minutes, you’ll be able to submit using their FTP server, but if your film is over 15 minutes, you’ll have to send an external hard drive (USB 3.0 is preferred). This isn’t the first time RED has done something similar, as they had a 4K Portrait Competition that displayed a number of films shot on RED at this year’s NAB. The winning projects were all shown on 4K displays around the REDUser event, with the top 3 getting a 4K projected cinema experience in front of the entire audience.
The amount of people that can afford a RED is certainly a minority among camera users (though a recent RED sale added a few more people to that list), but with so many cameras out there, renting is certainly an option for many productions.
Head on over to the Shot on RED site to read a little more about the project and check out the submission form. What do you guys think about this move? Is this a good thing? Do any of you have projects you are thinking about submitting?
- Enter Your Short in YouTube's 'Your Film Festival' for a Chance to Win a $500k Grant from Ridley Scott
- Call for Entries: The 180 Second Microcinema Film Festival
- Couch Fest: A Film Festival Happening in Living Rooms Around the World with a Top Prize of $500