Description image

Canon May 'Bring the Might of Its Legal Team' if You Modify 1D X or 1D C Firmware

01.9.13 @ 1:12PM Tags : , , , , , , , , ,

That sounds promising for a potential firmware hack, right? We discussed not too long ago that the Canon 1D X and the Canon 1D C were not exactly the same camera, but that the 1D C had some internal hardware changes — at the very least a new heatsink, and probably some additions to the firmware to allow 4K recording. At the moment it’s still not clear how much the two cameras share in common, but with a quote like above, there is no doubt that the 1D X is probably capable of a lot more internally than the company is allowing at the moment. Whether or not your camera will explode when enabling those features is another consideration entirely, but we’re starting to get more details about these internals.

Here is what Canon Rumors had to say about the situation:

We had a chance to peer inside the EOS-1D C (No photos allowed) to find out how much it differed from the EOS-1D X. The differences are minimal, the biggest change is the heat sink inside the camera to keep the sensor circuitry cool during 4K video operation.

The EOS-1D X has some traces of the EOS-1D C firmware code and the features are locked. We don’t know how much of the firmware is the same.

I was told by someone at Canon that they would “bring the might of its legal team” to anyone that attempts to modify at the software level, the features of an EOS-1 camera body. So I think the firmware community out there today will probably leave the EOS-1D X alone.

Obviously that quote is coming from behind the scenes and not from a source we can cite, so while it certainly may have been said, it is tough to say whether that is the company’s official stance at the moment (considering they haven’t said much publicly about the firmware of their cameras being hacked).

The big reason that people might want to mess with the firmware of the Canon 1D X is because at the moment, that camera only costs $6,800 vs. $12,000 for the 1D C. A $5,000 difference would be a hefty savings for people who wanted the 4K functionality of the 1D C, while still retaining all of the other great features of the 1D X. The other possible changes that could happen in firmware could be related to the HDMI output of the 1D X, which, to my knowledge, cannot be recorded cleanly without cropping (if at all). Another slight difference between the two cameras is a missing headphone port on the 1D X.

Canon is probably trying to save a few dollars on R&D by producing almost the same camera twice for two different markets, but charging much more for the other one (which is a common practice by most companies). We can’t say which internal hardware parts are different yet other than the added heatsink, because a proper teardown has not been conducted of both simultaneously. Even if we did find out that they are mostly identical hardware-wise, going by the above information, there could be serious consequences for providing such a hack.

At this time, the folks over at Magic Lantern have not tried to modify the firmware of any of these 1D cameras, so we’ll just have to wait and see how this shakes out, and if any other adventurous hackers want to take up the reigns for these specific cameras — and possibly risk some lawsuits from Canon. We do have to take the company stance with a grain of salt at the moment, but I’ve never heard anything like that before related to the firmware hacking on their cameras. We’ll see if the cease and desist notices start flying if people successfully decode the firmware on the 1D X or 1D C. Magic Lantern actually responded earlier today on twitter:

Magic Lantern will never touch the 1D series of cameras. http://t.co/pmIowRgl
@autoexec_bin
Magic Lantern

It’s also worth mentioning that plenty of other companies are doing what Canon is doing with two separate models and similar hardware. For example, RED’s SCARLET and EPIC cameras contain identical hardware inside, but the internal boards on SCARLET, according to RED, are not up-to-spec to handle the increased data rates of EPIC — though we don’t have much choice but to take their word on that as no hacking has been done thus far on RED firmware.

It will be interesting to see how the 1D C sells. Canon knows they aren’t going to sell as many as the 1D X, and that’s part of the reason for the price difference. I can’t help but think that a firmware hack for the 1D X would help sell a ton more cameras and actually be beneficial to the company in the end — but then again, I can’t see their financials, so it’s hard to know what they spent on R&D for both and how many cameras they need to sell at a specific price to recoup that.

This is definitely not the end of this story, and we’ll keep you updated as more information comes out.

Do you think Canon should allow hacking just as they’ve always done, or do you believe they have a business to run, so they should be able to make some money in the process and recoup development costs? Would you consider buying a 1D X if the firmware was modified to allow 4K or clean HDMI? Let us know your thoughts in the comments.

Link: Inside the Canon EOS-1D C — Canon Rumors

Related Posts

1. New and Improved Magic Lantern AJ5.0 Firmware for the Canon 5D Mark II Released
  2. Magic Lantern is Working on the 5D Mark III After Canon Firmware Update
  3. Magic Lantern is Coming to the Canon 7D

COMMENT POLICY

Description image 176 COMMENTS

• Bozo the Clown on 01.9.13 @ 5:28PM

Screw Canon and their bullcrap veiled, fuzzy, backchannel threat. It all but confirms that the hardware differences =/= the 1D-C’s secret sauce.

And if one cannot legally sell modified firmware, someone explain the myriad car “tuning” companies all over the world selling reprogrammed OEM engine management software. Why are they not sued out of existence for selling customers altered ~intellectual property~ belonging to the vehicle’s manufacturer?

• If it follows the president of other Firmware hacks, such as the Apple “jailbreak” case, An owner has the complete right to modify the firmware. The problem is big corporations know they can wreck havoc on the person who sells the hack, despite the previous court rulings. Just look at what Sony has done with the PS3 hacks.

• Canon has every right to protect their intellectual property and sue those who break the law. If you can not afford their cameras get another one or rent. Their are more cameras than ever to choose from.

• If I purchase a table, and I decide it’s not right for me, I can chop it down, sand it, and re-stain it. I can make it whatever I want it to be, because it is my property. I have every right to modify my property in any way I see fit. When I purchase the camera, it becomes my property. If they want to lock it down, they can try their luck with encryption, or they move to a rental-only business model. They can not tell me what to do with the things I own.

• yes, but if you steal or exploit the craftsman’s secret construction techniques, and those techniques are considered the intellectual property of canon, then the craftsman is within his rights to sue you. magic lantern may have never made a dime from their firmware hacks (that we know of), but their work has probably violated a great deal of intellectual property law. the only reason canon hasn’t done anything about it is because only a relatively slim number of people actually use the hack.

• ML receives a good amount of donations. They’ve got $5 from me at least.

• Frank Glencairn on 01.10.13 @ 5:03PM

If they have violated a law by modifying something they bought, somethings wrong with that low, it should not exist.
          That’s what happens, if you let the industry write the law – also known as lobbying.

It’s so wrong on so many levels.

• We all pretty much know that intellectual property law, and Patents are a joke used for those that have money to exploit them.

And it’s not likely that Canon will attack anything that helps their sales numbers. 1D likely won’t be hacked because it’s not the right market anyway for the reason the hacks are appearing.

This is kind of one of those articles that is posted to get a rise out of people. Best to let it go I guess – but eh whatever – I thought i’d comment anyway for the fun of it…

• Read Canon Software policy first, then argue. Most software producers dont sell it to you to own it, brake it, and manipulate it, they just lend it to you only for your personal using. Same for Microsoft, music, movies etc. etc.

• I read a few comments but gave up after 2 minutes.

90% of the people on this thread are complaining about the specs of 2 cameras that they will never be able to afford . If you’re not happy with what Canon does, dont buy their products. Simple as that.
    Instead of wasting our time complaining about a manufacturer we should be happy that we can all use cameras that 2 years ago noone would’ve dreamed of at this pricepoint.

We should be enjoying these times … I thank Canon for the T3i I just bought. Added a Mosaic Engineering filter and for less than $700 I can shoot great videos, commercials, wedding videos, documentaries that outclass every single thing I shot with my Canon HV30 + Handy35 3 years ago (and it cost me twice as much).
    Hell, I just bought a Sony Nex5N for less than $350 and I get wonderful slow motion.

So, for a bit over $1000, I have way better equipment than what that money would’ve bought me only 3 years ago.

Every single person complaining here should be out there working on a short/video/… Thanks to Canon this whole movement started a couple of years ago and technology now is no longer the limiting factor. People are their own limiting factor.

• Bozo the Clown on 01.9.13 @ 6:00PM

I can’t speak for anyone else, but I am complaining about the attempted strongarm tactics of a crappy camera company trying to bully good people so they can preserve their ability to overcharge.

So many Borats commenting on this. “Cannot afford!” Just because one can afford a 1D-C does not mean one would not prefer a hacked 1D-X. Which would be totally legal by the way.

• Username aside, I just can’t take your comments seriously any more.

• Bozo the Clown on 01.9.13 @ 6:06PM

Care to explain why? Refute my points.

• Thanks but I think I’ll pass. Not because I can’t but because I’m tired and need a laugh. Time for some comedy over on EOSHD :)

• Bozo the Clown on 01.9.13 @ 6:23PM

I am shocked you have cut and run. I did not see that coming.

• Don’t sweat Neil’s comments. He’s obviously just one on those elite-wannabe’s who work doesn’t speak for itself, so he needs to set himself apart from beginners by simply owning more expensive gear.

I’ve been slowly realizing that about 50% of film “professionals” fall into this category.

• Because, software is intellectual property. It performs a specific function in the device. By the logic in this thread, if someone buys a book, they “own” the ideas therein? No it doesnt work that way. If it was computer software companies would have gone out of business long ago. Honestly, “pirating” software, and hacking products, does two things, it gives the manufacturer less incentive to improve the product, because they are not seeing an improvement of sales, and it hinders their ability to invest in new technology. Case in point, Assimilate’s Scratch systems, which costs about $5,000-$50,00, was recently undercut by Davinci Resolve, dropping its price point of $1000. Essentially, Scratch Does more, but for the common user Da Vinci being cheaper is a logical choice yes? However, this undercut, may well put Assimilate out of business, and all the excellent professional software they make along with it. Is this good? No. Davinci does not DO the things scratch does, but when the prices were competitive, more options were available. Monopoly is Death in innovation.

If someone were to come out with a 4k DSLR sized camera, with a FF chip, and ISO2500 clean images, that came with a F2.0 15-200 Zoom, for $200, that would kill off alot of the cometition. then you would be stuck with ONE camera. Everythign would look the same…. That is unless you graded it on the Now $29.00 resolve.

• Yes, but you PAID for the R&D on that T3i when you bought that HV30 three years ago! That technology didn’t just fall from the sky. You funded it, and you are funding the next generation of R&D with your purchases today. You have a right to expect progress. Whether or not people “should be out shooting” is a different issue. I shoot constantly. I think there is a greater demand in the markets you mention above (commercials, docs, etc) than most people realize. It would behoove camera manufacturers to drive progress in our markets by improving their value proposition when technology advances allow them to do so. When they take steps calculated to slow progress, the least we can do is trash talk them on internet forums. Really.

• I sort of agree with you except for the last comment. Canon, or for that matter, any camera manufacturer doesn’t care what arguments we have here. They are a multi-billion $ company and indie filmmakers are just a small portion of their market share. Really the only people getting trash talked here are ourselves.

I’m surprised at how angry some people here are today. The trolls are out in force. Must be welfare wednesday and they’re excited because they can’t use those food stamps to but the Canon 1DX :)

• Well my last comment was a bit tongue in cheek, but I will say that when it comes to this product range, indie filmmakers are a bigger market segment than some people are acknowledging. Sure in the DSLR market, we are insignificant compared to the intended customer base. But these companies (all of the big ones) have separate divisions with separate P&L’s to account for in their pro/cinema lines. Goodwill in the market is important to them.

All that being said, you are right – it is getting heated in here. Time to break out and go shoot something…with my FS700 that I bought instead of a C100/300/1DX/C.

• I like your attitude towards your expression of film making its grounded and true to you well said – but I would still love to crack off a red or a snide alexa!

• Sometime ago my father told me “everybody has the right to screw it” (with a very bad word in spanish), business can also, but at the end what is screwing up things?, it is their business, those are their cameras, when 5D wnt out everybody loved them, now will you hate them because they don´t do things the way you think it suppose to be, this is not a marketing or intelectual property issue, is a freedom issue, if you think 1DC do not fullfill your needs why don´t you buy a Sony, or Red or whatever?, I think the best way on telling a company is wrong is stop buying their products, not discussing if you can hack his product to make it work the way you think is fine. Also if you buy it I think you can hack it, well as a matter of fact you can drop it in the toilet if you want and if i modify my 1DC damn Canon if they try to stop me, but stop arguing that if someone has the ability to do it should share it with you runing the risk on pissing the manufacturer and having legal problems… Once again this is freedom…

Another point why is every indie filmmaker so obsessed in buying a camera, I work in a big rental company, we have cameras with very few hours of use now obsolete, and we still haven´t payed them in full, now at least on our market ( high end ads and medium to high budget films) is using 3 or for different cameras for the production…

Anyway is fun arguing

• I think the Canon engineers had a very hard time to manage to get reliable 4k off the 1DC. Even if the 1DC has the same hardware than the 1DX, it might be worth extra $$ for this effort in software development. Maybe not +5000 though.

I can’t afford buying a $ 6000,- camera and burn it to death because it’s “only” missing a stupid head sink. If you can, report me back if it works!

• Bozo the Clown on 01.9.13 @ 6:28PM

I would be inclined to believe this to be the case were the relayed message more along the lines of,

“hay guyz, don’t mess with this or u may ruin it lol”

as opposed to,

“hay guyz, don’t mess with this or we will BRING THE MIGHT OF OUR LEGAL TEAM against u lol”

• NotALawyer. on 01.9.13 @ 6:21PM

The only real question is are you breaking the law by hacking fireware for a device that you bought and paid for. Once you own it, you can do whatever you want to do with it. You don’t sign a non-disclosure or software agreement when you buy the camera.

• … just in case the 1DC will ever get ML’ed an 4K enabled …

• 1dx/1dc comparison and IP aside, would you guys pay the price if the 1DC was in a different housing package that looked more profesional and not your standard DSLR body? Overall the image for the price is fair considering you’re able to shoot with off the shelf accessories and not proprietary products.

• Bozo the Clown on 01.9.13 @ 6:30PM

oh god, i’m talking to a bunch of canon employees. i hate the internet.

• Best not to look, read a few of their comments and make your mind up if its coming from a plausible opinion. Dont get tunneled into a heated debate knowing that it wont mean anything if your talking to a wall. You can spot the shady ones pretty quickly.

• Chris Lambert on 01.9.13 @ 7:04PM

If you bought a new computer and found that there was another 8gig of ram, 2tb of hdd space and a few thousand mhz locked out because the company wanted you too pay more you would seriously consider that reasonable?

I cant believe people are backing Canon in this the C100 is a gimped C300 but most of the changes made would actually have cost them money to input! Sd card instead of CF, moving the lcd to a less logical place. Canon are out to gimp their products on purpose and you people are backing them? Yes were spoilt for tools, yes film making is more accessible for those less well off. But that does not make this kind of practice acceptable not by a damn sight!

• from an individual point of view, i think bozo the clown is more than right.
    from a corporate, corpse-o-ration, point of view, bozo the clown is more than wrong.

But I guess, since I’ve paid for my 5D, 7D and GH2s, I have the right to tweek it if I want to, and to share it.

I don’t have the right to make money, as profit, it’s morally wrong, over them, but to hack the stuff I own, it’s an individual right I think we as individuals should fight for.

That’s what I believe, that’s why I promote linux, open source software (free or non-free), because it’s a paradigm based on TRUST and TRANSPARENCY.

So as Chris Lambert also put, “I cant believe people are backing Canon in this the C100 is a gimped C300 but most of the changes made would actually have cost them money to input! Sd card instead of CF, moving the lcd to a less logical place. Canon are out to gimp their products on purpose and you people are backing them? ”

what I LOVE THE MOST OF UNITED STATE OF AMERICA is the libertarian ETHOS, the way your country was built based on RESPECT and DEFENSE of individual rights, free speech… and it’s sad to see that the most amazing gift USofA gave to the world is dying in USofA, and in consequence, in the rest of the ‘free’ world too.

Companies, from RED to CANON, should not dictate what we can or not do with the tools they gave us in EXCHANGE for our MONEY (that is a materialization of our ENERGY as WORK).

If all that is in this rumor is true, so FUCK YOU CANON.

Now, as a professional freak I am, I’ll go make some crazy magick sigil, austin osman spare’ style, to make Black Magic Design to be the next big thing for indies, since it’s a company that until now seems to respect customers! :D :D how knows, maybe it will work! :D

KALLISTI!

• But Guto,

This is the same as saying, If i buy a Bluray, i can do what i want with it. Including cutting the awesome action scene out of prometheus, and inserting it into my Movie cause it would look awesome. You have to look at it lik this: Canon hired a team of engineers, to make the 4k DSLR. lets say its 20 people in their laboratories. Thats 20 men and women who feed their children, went to college, got a masters more than likely, and are being employed to write the software to reliably shoot 4K on a tiny camera. Now, if the 1DX at its current price could be made to shoot 4K with firmware, thats fine and all, but if all it took, was a ML style firmware, and Canon did not protect their investment, the time and energy they spent making the camera shoot 4K reliably goes out the window. What is the point then for them to say, hey, people like 4K, lets make a better one that does more. Because you know what? To make the better one is NOT free. IT takes years, and tons of work. They wont recoup their investment, and thus it wont happen.

Its basic business. to make good products, it costs money, and the price refelcts that. Canon is not sitting there rubbing their hands togethere saying, ” I cant wait to cheat filmmakers out of $14,000… Muahahahahahahahahaahahah! ( lightning crash)”…..

• Mr. Timur Civan, when you say:
        “This is the same as saying, If i buy a Bluray, i can do what i want with it. Including cutting the awesome action scene out of prometheus, and inserting it into my Movie cause it would look awesome. ”

you are confusing changing content with changing the software in the hardware you have with replacing the software with another one. ML don’t change the software, so it’s not the same thing.

Also, software is considered intelectual property, ok, and in the case of GH2, it may be a problem. Agree on this case. But Panasonic was clever and realized it was good for the product (maybe too good, since they changed the sensor of the gh3 to a not so great for vid as i see it)

“The sentiment here is wildly disturbing, because it means the value placed not only the tools but the work associated has diminished. Instead of standing in awe of an object the size of a clutch purse that shoots 4K to an inexpensive CF card, and runs on tiny batteries, that also takes UNBELIEVABLE stills, and is Clean to 6400 ISO, you feel like Canon is cheating you….”

I in any moment complain about the camera price, my problem is other, and is an hypothetical one, since it’s a rumor! :D

If the person don’t like the price, steal it or don’t buy it, simple as that! :)

But I have to agree that tha C100 is not worth the price and who knows what it could do if hacked or if it had the firmware changed. But in this case, if I don’t agree with the price or can’t afford it, I ignore it. but also I can say out loud that I think it doesn’t sound right, or can’t I? ;)

For example, a Scarlet is expensive to get one in my country, cost 120% more, but I’m ok with that. I never said it’s a shit cam, as some say. Also I did not steal one :D I prefer to save money to get one, since I think stealing is bad karma. But the same way I still think RED has no right to be as dictatorial as it is in some cases. Great camera? yes. Expensive? not that much. Fascist culture around it? totally.

You know fascism? in it s roots it is basicly government joining forces with corporations to screw individual rights in the name of some better future. Since in this planet we give corporations the rights of individuals, we should at least ask them to act in respect with individual rights, don’t you think so? Based on your argument, you don’t. Choose your side and deal with your consciousness in the end.

My problem is with the possible fact of Canon going to sue those involved in creating a software that can run in their hardware. You agree with the corporation in this case too, timur?

Again, I did not complain about price. It’s a game, don’t like the rules, don’t play.

Now if you pay for a piece of hardware and has the possibility to make it working better foryou, , it’s your right to do so. Companies should not scare you.

If you prefer to defend the corporation point of view, be free to do so, no problem, but please don’t come over me with this kind of mexican soup opera argument of yours! :D

“Thats 20 men and women who feed their children, went to college, got a masters more than likely, and are being employed to write the software to reliably shoot 4K on a tiny camera.”

It’s funny, because if you REALLY care so much with the work conditions of those that work building our cameras and electronic stuff, you should stop using it and become a PAINTER instead, because before the children of the college people you care about, :D, you should care about the slaves working in capitalist-comunist china building our tools and giving a great profit for the companies (except for RED in most of it pieces I guess) and the totalitarian dictatorial anti-democratic government there… and recieving shit salaries and, again, under a totalitarian regime that support them being treated like slaves. I consider it a low form of argument to use “guilt” stuff to try changing those that don’t agree with you. But if it’s your way of doing stuff, you are what you are. Be it. Deal with it.

So in the end if you don’t like to have the freedom to do what ever you want with your hardware, maybe one day when companies start do decide what you can shoot and what you cannot shoot, because they own the patent of the piece of hardware yo are using, you gonna be happier than now! :)

• Meanwhile GoPro will probably bring out something better in form factor.. I believe the Canon 5D Mark III can video 4K raw but its just limited by firmware.. Canon I jumped ship to Panasonic and use Canon FD Glass.. Canon you are loosing customers.. Adios Amigos

• I can understand attempting to make up R&D costs by charging at a much higher level for “pro” equipment. I, like many others it appears, believe that Canon is vastly overrating what counts as “pro” equipment. But that is just poor business sense and a misunderstanding of the market.

What is annoying is that Canon appears to be threatening a group of people who took a series of cameras with very limited features and made them agreeable for video. The features that Magic Lantern added to the Canon DSLRs were brilliant. I feel like I’m trying to shoot blind now without a Magic Lantern hack. And the “pro” level 1DC has none of these features. No peaking, no false color, no magic zoom, HDR, waveforms, etc. All it has is the standard ugly Canon interface that puts icons and useless information all over the LCD image. Canon should pay these guys huge amounts of money to add needed features to their camera, not threaten to sue them.

• It just doesn’t seem very serious saying “might of our legal team” they might do something(get it? might. ha) but I really just don’t see canon going after people too much, most of the 1D series cameras aren’t really marketed for indies, but for people that have serious money to spend on a more reliable camera

• canon moles suck glass! on 01.9.13 @ 11:49PM

First off, get these canon moles outta here! Quit infiltrating comments, blogs, and the entire internet. Go back to your cubes and shut the funk up, you has beens.

Second, Panny didn’t go after Vitaliy. They quelled Vitaliy by putting goodies in their next model. These days all Vitaliy does is sell used frensels. He didn’t make a dime off ptool.

Moles!

• Joe,
    Good article. Epic – Scarlet. Sony F55 – SonyF5. Canon 1DC – Canon1DX

• You buy the Camera,,,so its yours,, why should they sue you for what you do with it?

• they are threatening the developers behind Magic Lantern, not the user. It is not illegal to use ML but they might think the process of developing ML is some where violating the law … if not, they will decide that “hacking” is an act of terror and hackers can be send to Guantanamo …

• The subtext may have an interesting angle :the length and breadth of the whole thread is quite extensive !
    Maybe some accidental or deliberate product placement from canon. ? Forums like this can fuel desire and we all have a proverbial interest and desire to keep up and get the best for what our money can buy – either way the spotlight has wittingly or otherwise unwittingly placed the spotlight on these cameras and sparked a hot debate , I’m going to wait it out for my next camera purchase as I’m sure 2013 will deliver some very interesting possibilities , canon are no longer the only big players anymore ; horses for courses me thinks IMHO black magic cinema camera I’m sure will mature beyond the ” vapourware ” tag and they for me , are acomy to keep an eye on

Maybe some accidental or deliberate product placement from canon. ? Forums like this can fuel desire and we all have a proverbial interest and desire to keep up and get the best for what our money can buy – either way the spotlight has wittingly or otherwise unwittingly placed the spotlight on these cameras and sparked a hot debate , I’m going to wait it out for my next camera purchase as I’m sure 2013 will deliver some very interesting possibilities , canon are no longer the only big players anymore ; horses for courses me thinks IMHO black magic cinema camera I’m sure will mature beyond the ” vapourware ” tag and they for me , are a company to keep an eye on

• I think that Canon must send a Big Check to Alex and ML project, because ML is the only reason I and other thousand peoples bought a Canon, a fantastic camera with a very very limited software. DSLR revolution without this softwares wasn’t so possible.

• Chris Lambert on 01.10.13 @ 4:22AM

If BlackMagic bought out a camera costing 2-3x more than their first one with 4k 35mm sensor, XLR input’s, the same codec choice’s, hdmi out, ND filters and maybe a global shutter they would absolutely destroy Canon at this point. Their market is dwindling they started a shift with DSLR’s more for less but they want to reverse it by the looks of anything and other companies will force that hand now. The Canon 5d mk2 might end up being one of the worst things to ever happen to the company along with their business model.

I just hope the slow vaporware like release of the BMC doesn’t incline them to hold back announcing it so as not too harm the cinema cameras sales and that they just go straight ahead and announce an expanding range at NAB

• LOL, all it takes is one anonymous quote based on hearsay to bring out Canon-haters foaming at the mouth .

I’m wondering : how many of you getting mad here actually donated money to Magic Lantern for all the hard work they put in ? And how many just expect everything to be free and affordable so that you can switch cameras and platforms every month ?

I work with Canon DSLR’s and a Sony NEX for the moment for various reasons.
    Does it mean I unconditionally love everything about Canon ? Nope. But for my situation and work the pluses outweigh the minuses.

Instead of wasting time on a message board whining about what my camera can NOT do, I’d rather spend that time getting work done and maximizing what the camera CAN do.

If you wanna complain about a limited codec or possibilities, try shooting Super8 like I still do occasionally. And pay $50 for 3 minutes of footage without any sound.

I’m shooting another music video the next few days with a $400 Canon DSLR body. I really don’t see how that sucks when shooting something similar 3 years ago would’ve been out of my range budgetwise (and the same goes for the client).

If you blame the camera for the quality of your work, you really need to question your skills.
    And maybe watch this and learn : https://vimeo.com/37993764.

• I have complete right over what I buy , If Canon does not understand this , they can rewire their brain.

They can claim that they won’t guarantee it , but this is stupid.

• I don’t hate canon – I’m finding the whole thread and current technology fascinating and what it will do for my work – consumers pro and amateur alike know what they want and it’s simply supply and demand – other conpanies seem to be challenging canon and it’s price bracketing and that can only be healthy for the industry and all alike someone will eventually consolidate the best of all cameras and knock it out and make a killing at the right price – canon are not stupid clearly and with the event of the black magic cinema it’s a wonderful skism that will only improve our options – canon maybe should be a little more penny wise and not so pound foolish because – its going to happen ! A company will do this in the near future for sure it’s inevitable it would be a sad shame as I remember canon and the hv30 / dslr revolution made amazing things happen not only for ordinary folk with an interest , but influential bloggers like philip bloom even George Lucas – canon seemed to champion that and IMHO it feels like it’s lost that touch of sparkle :/ but hey that’s business I guess my only concern for 2013 now is who will be the rebel outside the circle this year ? Sony , red , and bmcc have stirred it up somewhat – making the possibilities more affordable and is it so wrong that indie film makers want more for their buck?
    Interesting times and an interesting debate

• How can you sue someone for giving away a free update on a cam?

• Okay, so how much would you guys pay for a 1d-c ????

• If it were available now…and if I needed 4K….and if I still had a set of EF mount lenses…I would pay $6K. And when the time comes that we have an actual need to shoot 4K, a similar body will probably cost that.

• My opinion too is that the 1dc is overpriced, especially with how fast new cameras are coming out all the time. You can tell me that a videographer/ photographer really wants to shoot 4K just to be able to pick out photos later on…..

• I don’t know what made Canon come up with this directive. It has made it even more Obvious, that, they share, more than just the design and series numbers (1D ), in common. Idiots, I tell you.
    I think, its high time, consumers start suing companies, for their draconian and consumer harassing rules and regulations. It can only happen in the US. With a jury, full of people hating companies, who fleece you, for average technology, at insane prices.

• Why the hell was my comment removed…..Canon has the right to put any price they want on their products. No one is forcing you to buy anything.

• Much of the sentiment here is like that of people thinking piracy of movies and music is a right and then expect good movies and music to still be funded in perpetuity. By modifying the firmware of a 1DX to shoot 4k, you are in effect infringing on the 1DC’s patent. What incentive would Canon have to R & D better cameras if hacks plan to undercut them with hacks?

And then to hear people bitch and moan about price gouging, please. A 4k camera that shoots a decent codec that you can throw in a back pack. Five years ago, similar performance would’ve run you close to six digits, require cases and an assistant. Give me a break. The 1C is marketed for pros and for those who buy it and make a living from it, it’s actually quite a deal.

• Panasonic did it … mostly … right with their GH3. Instead of threatening Vitaliy with legal action for hacking the GH2, they decided to incorporate some of the improvements of the hack into their next-gen camera (ie, higher stable bitrates than stock and an MOV recording mode). They seemed to get the point that with the hack freely available, it meant more customers would buy their GH2. Without the hack… not so much. Panasonic even talked to him about what he was able to accomplish rather than slapping him with a lawsuit.

They also left some enticements in their coding to probably encourage him to take the GH3 to the next level. Hey, it’s free software development for the company anyway! GH3 gets a hack and more wannabe filmmakers buy their new camera than would have normally.

Of course, when I say “mostly” I do mean that Panasonic did screw the pooch and take a step back by listening to bean counters and farmed out for a Sony sensor, instead of staying with a superior in-house multi-aspect sensor, that introduced a slightly mushier image and more moire and aliasing… just like the Canon DSLR’s.

If this article is indeed true… I too say FUCK YOU, CANON!!!

• “I don’t hold much love for modern, multi-national corporations anyway. Their products are manufactured by indentured servants… yes, you heard me right. Indentured servants = little more than slaves. These products are made at pennies on the dollar and their executives and shareholders reap huge rewards… all the while amassing armies of lawyers and lobbyists to make us do their bidding. ”

great point. and just adding, if we don’t pay atention, we lost more and more of our individual rights.

people becoming sheeple indeed is the true in most cases! :/

• I too am always surprised (but actually -anymore? No ) by how angry people are on Forums/Comment sections. Film is but one of a few ( Photog/Video/Film/Audio/Graphics/Art/Guitars/ Recording -Daws) of my avocations/Hobbies/Loves/Sickness’/ in past lives- Vocations.
    I care immensely about many of these things. But I realize time is so limited on this Earth ,its just such a waste of it to be angry and resentful of what others have or believe. Its the same on every Forum wherever I go. Anytime you pursue something and you require tools to pursue it or collect items ,people are fighting & arguing about what they own and what they believe. WHY? Who Cares? Everybody is in a different financial place. Seems the guy who has everything needs to prop up his Ego for some reason ,and the guy who can’t afford it has to be jealous of those who can. And the Corporation Hate ? It’s just a waste of time and energy. Build a camera of our own why don’t you? Being sarcastic – I realize you can’t build a T3i ,but here’s an example.
    Brain May of Queen built a great Guitar with his Dad decades ago. Went on to record with it on many many successful Albums and toured the World with it for Decades. Why -because he couldn’t afford a good one way back when.
    “Can’t we all just get along?” That’s a joke son.
    WHY are people so fixated on trying to force theirs views / beliefs on others? What a frickin’ waste of time ! As it is ,look at the wasted time here with me raving about it. Think I’ll get back to doin’ something .

Comments pages: 1 [2] 3