Superproducer Ted Hope on...

August 18, 2013

Download 6 ProRes Green-Screen Clips Shot on the Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera

The Ravens greenscreen footageThe likelihood of a good number of you having a Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera in your physical possession is pretty slim. There are a few floating around here and there, which might sound like kind of a bummer if you've been waiting for yours despite delays, but there is a silver lining -- there's more ProRes clips out there for you to play with. A group of filmmakers managed to get their paws on a BMPCC, shot some b-roll of some test footage against a green-screenand have generously made 6 ungraded shots available for you to download.

The shots are from some behind-the-scenes EPK footage taken for director Jennifer Perrott's short film The Ravens.Now, I wouldn't call these clips legitimate green-screen tests -- the real pre-production test was done using a RED, but they're definitely worth taking a look at and messing with.

These short, ungraded, ProRes clips were captured by a BMPCC and a Lumix 14mm lens. While cinematographer John Brawley ran his preliminary test, most of the BTS footage captures Brawley rolling while a bird handler walks a crow across a green-screen.

Some of the shots offer quite a bit of green-screen to work with, which will make for some interesting tests of your own. You can download all 6 of them here.

How does the BMPCC footage fair with you? Did you try any chroma keying? Let us know in the comments!

Links:

[via wolfcrow]

Anyone else had reports of internal noise as reported here: ?

August 18, 2013

Tulio

Tulio, when had a little play with Captain Hook's camera in Auckland a week ago I did not notice any noise at all.

August 18, 2013

On the Blackmagic Forum, a "rep" from Blackmagic stated that it was a defective device and will speak with them about replacing. http://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6796&start=1050

August 18, 2013

This is a really cool comparison of BMCC VS Blackmagic Pocket Camera (done by Captain Hook), both mounted together and using the same lens while shooting together:

August 18, 2013

Seems it's a relatively correct place to ask this quesion:

I'am planning to shoot my short with BMCC 2.5K in a chromakey pavilion. What will be the suggested postproduction workflow if I edit Premiere Pro and keyout the chromakey plus add another background in After Effects?

My point is: does having the need to remove chromakey and add some visual effects mean that I must work with full resolution (2.5K) jpeg sequences (merged into movie clips) and perform final color correction in After Effects and not in Resolve?

August 19, 2013

Nikolay

Better use full res raw than jpeg sequences fpr greenscreen work.

August 19, 2013

Zworg

Made some very fast keying test with Key-light 1.2 (After-Effects)...

Keying was so easy, and considering that this is behind-the-scenes footage I´m very happy with the result.

I can only encourage everyone to play a little bit with that footage. To me this is very promising.
Would be interesting to see the different keying results from 4.2.2 and raw (when the raw option is out...)

August 20, 2013

Zworg

I'm very new to shooting in raw video, so this may be a dumb question. Are these 6 videos that are available to download "raw" clips? If so, how do I go about manipulating color temperature, ISO, etc... inside of AE 5.5? Thanks in advance!

August 20, 2013

ndogg

No, they are ProRes files.

But just in case you have some raws: in AE you adjust the raw files first in the importer. Make sure your project is set to floating point color space so you have best quality when you further correct and grade your image. Please no 8 bit !!!

August 21, 2013

Zworg

New Pocket Cam footage from the folks at Red Shark News.
Yikes.

August 22, 2013

DLD

I can't download the 6 videos... the link seem dead.

March 24, 2014

Bobby

the link seems to be broken. could you fix it please and inform me of it?

July 8, 2014