September 10, 2013

Adobe Premiere CC Getting CinemaDNG & RED DRAGON Support, Plus Easier SpeedGrade Roundtripping

Since Adobe announced their new suite of programs, CC, as subscription-only, there have been plenty complaints about being forced to pay indefinitely for software that was previously able to be owned outright. While they haven't done anything drastic with the subscription implementation since launch, they have kept their promise of releasing significant updates for the software much faster and more fully-featured. The first update came in July, and now the second major release includes updates for Premiere Pro CC, After Effects CC, SpeedGrade CC, Prelude CC, Adobe Media Encoder CC, and Adobe Story, as well as a completely new iPad app called Prelude Live Logger. The Adobe CC suite is getting tons of native codec support and better roundtripping between Premiere and SpeedGrade, but check out the videos below to learn more about the new features in the update planned for October 2013.

Adobe Creative Cloud Overview:

Premiere Pro CC:

Premiere CC Codec Support and Linking Media:

SpeedGrade CC:

Speedgrade CC Direct Link:

After Effects CC:

For SpeedGrade to be a serious alternative to Resolve, it needed to add something like Direct Link. Being able to jump in and out of SpeedGrade with the same Premiere timeline in a simple manner is fantastic, and it makes the program far more useful. As far as codec support goes, it will be interesting to see how good playback is for CinemaDNG files from cameras like the Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Digital Bolex, and Magic Lantern RAW (though hardware acceleration for CDNG should help the situation significantly -- which Adobe has stated will work with supported GPUs). If you want to stay with a proxy workflow, however, Adobe has greatly improved the process of relinking your full-res media -- something Avid has done very well for many years now.

If you've got lower-quality material that needs to be up-rezzed, After Effects should improve the quality greatly in this October update:

With so much native support and easy roundtripping, it's going to create much faster workflows with better results. Of course, it won't be necessary to stay within the suite of programs, but it's good to have the option now if you want an easier, simpler, and potentially faster process.

Adobe is also introducing a new iPad app called Prelude Live Logger:

The update will be released on October 15, but in the meantime you can read more about the new features and watch some more videos over on Adobe's site.

What do you think about the new features?

Links:

FYI, hardware GPU acceleration will have no effect upon CinemaDNG playback, which is solely a CPU task. The GPU off-loads tasks concerning application of Effects within Premiere.

Paul

The Adobe blog specifically says Cinema DNG debayering can be done on the GPU: "...and Cinema DNG can be debayered on a supported GPU for even better performance."

Gabe

Thanks, Gabe, that's an interesting evolution of the Mercury Playback Engine which never used to apply (taking what you quoted at your word, without a link). It would be peculiar with GPU operations were limited to the CinemaDNG codec, and at that, debayering, whereas (at least to date) codecs like AVCHD were receiving no benefit.

Paul

Well Adobe doesn't actually make their AVCHD decoder, they license it from Main Concept, whereas as far as I know they did make their Cinema DNG decoder.

Gabe

It's coming directly from their blog. Wouldn't make much sense for me to say that in the post if they hadn't:

Responding to rapid changes in the industry with the move to Ultra High Definition 4K formats and beyond, Premiere Pro’s outstanding native media support has been given a major boost this release. New native file format support for Cinema DNG, Sony RAW, Phantom Cine, improved MJPG from Canon 1DC, Sony XAVC Long GOP, Panasonic AVC Ultra (Long GOP), 64 bit ProRes decoding (Mac OS X 10.8 or higher only), and support for exporting XAVC up to 4K and AVCi200 is included, and Cinema DNG can be debayered on a supported GPU for even better performance

Joe Marine
Editor-at-Large
Shooter/Writer/Director

While the irony there is, debayering CinemaDNG is dramatically less processor-intensive than AVCHD operations, and if this some sort of licensing/whose-codec-engine issue, it's a sad result. AVCHD is still the bread and butter of most video capture these days (even so-called "pro" work, by volume). In an ideal world, as we scaled up our investments for more and more powerful GPUs, compression operations would appreciate the benefit at a high priority.

Paul

You don't debayer AVCHD. AVCHD is pretty easy on modern computers.

September 12, 2013

mikko löppönen

Hi All,

David McGavran here, Senior Engineering Manager on Premiere Pro. The new CinemaDNG implementation in Premiere Pro uses the GPU for the Debayering and some of the Color Science. This is a brand new use of the Mercury GPU engine. With all the raw formats coming out we are laying the ground work for amazing performance. Just that that would clarify this :)

Cheers

Dave

September 11, 2013

David McGavran

Super!

Sergey

Been waiting on Direct Link between Premiere and Speedgrade for some time now. This will be a huge time saver to our workflow. A big surprise however is the Looklabs Speedlooks addition. We were on the fence about purchasing this add on so to see Adobe add it for free is a welcome surprise.

radcraig

Phantom .CINE support is great as well.

September 10, 2013

LOL it was almost exactly 11 months ago that Adobe announced that they were REMOVING cinemaDNG support from Premiere Pro. I guess I have to give them credit for seeing how much the video market has changed in the last year and responding to it.

Damon

Just Amazing for the Direct link between Premiere Pro and Speedgrade, The workflow will be SOOOO MUuuccchhhh Easier !!!!

Thanks for that !!!

mikael_bellina

Damn damn damn damn. THIS is exactly what I need for the film I am just working on! I was just going to do the jump into Speedgrade this week. That is, with all the endless gigabyte of dngs it produces and with potentially losing all my dissolves and that. But I can't stop working on it till october. Why Adobe, why didn't you come up with this obvious solution earlier? This is so awesome, but I want it NOW.

heîko

Speedgrade workflow happiness is overdue, but obviously VERY welcome :) I learned Speedgrade with CS6, used it on a couple of projects, and reverted to my prior workflow due to the lack of anything even kind of reasonable between Premiere Pro and Speedgrade (not to mention the stuff they fixed earlier this year, like monitoring issues).

Happy to see Adobe fulfilling their promises with the Creative Cloud—I know many are unhappy with the CC move, but I am so glad we don't have to wait until NAB season to get these updates in a CS7!

September 10, 2013

I've fallen in love with filmconvert... I wonder if used in Premiere and the project is opened via direct link in speedgrade if it will be applied in speedgrade so additional colour work can be done in speedgrade on top of filmconvert. I work mostly with Red so would rather stick to the raw files than convert them to something else with film convert applied. If it can do that it would be hard not to go for this. I'm currently on CS6 and have barely touched speedgrade.

Dean Butler

FYI, FilmConvert Pro 2 added OpenCL GPU acceleration, making it perform as well as (or maybe better than) SpeedGrade. I'm partial to the former after trying both.

Paul

With direct link I might actually try to use SpeedGrade... It's too easy to just do the finishing in AE right now to justify pulling out a intermidiate to do simple grading...

Now, if they'd actually include a real de-noising system in SpeedGrade I'd use it for all my shoots :)

September 10, 2013

This is my current workflow too. AE is so versatile it works for everything. I know it's not built for color grading but once you get used to it, I think it works great.

September 11, 2013

Ty

will Speedgrade also work the new way if the Premiere Project's timeline has After Effects compositions embedded in it?

September 10, 2013

Good question. Hope someone from Adobe can clarify this...

September 11, 2013

Purely guessing here. But since they are funneling a straight video feed from the Mercury Engine it should probably work... I assume that's the way they managed to promise that all of the codecs currently supported by PPro should also work in SG using direct linking... But if there's no cached renders available I wouldn't expect any great performance from a AE-dynamic linked to SG via a PPro Direct Link... hehe... starts getting a bit complicated rather quickly... :P

September 12, 2013

This is great, I just wrapped on a red shoot today and we have been editing on set with red 4k files on a macbook pro. Its really amazing to be able to work with such great footage on a laptop. Great job adobe!

Erik

This all seems really fantastic to me. But honestly, Speedgrade is unusable to me until it supports Blackmagic output cards. Who grades whilst monitoring via display port or DVI output!?

September 11, 2013

What about the rest of us who are still on CS6 and have NOT moved to creative cloud. Will we ever see this CinemaDNG support update?

September 11, 2013

Sam

If the dynamic linking actually works, it will be awesome.

Anyone know if speedgrade will be able to handle projects with non-standard dimensions? I'm currently working on a series of projects that are 5520x1080 pixels, and some programs have a hard time processing it.

September 11, 2013

Ty

One thing that makes me happy about this is that the current way I use for grading with AE involves a ton of fiddling with dynamic links or individual clips that I then render back to PPro. So in that way I'm extremely happy that they are doing the direct link.... though I would love a direct link solution for AE too of course... Linking a whole project with a easily usable EDL-viewer to navigate between the clips...

September 12, 2013

This all sounds great, especially if they iron out a few of the bugs. I have actually gone back to CS6 for larger projects because I encounter some unresolvable issues with the CC version when merging video to separately recorded audio.

September 12, 2013

Tom

Adobe CC rent model is a mess. Adobe can improve whatever they want. We do not support addiction.

September 13, 2013

Joe

Maybe this was addressed in earlier comments, but I'm wondering if Speedgrade will be able to work with AVCHD .MTS files. I shoot with Panasonic GH2 and GH2 cameras, and would like to implement SpeedGrade into my work flow. I am able to send Premiere Pro projects with MTS files to Speedgrade and grade them, but Speedgrade crashes every time I attempt to save the project. I'm not sure if this is a different issue, or something that will be resolved with the October release of Speedgrade.

I was using Magic Bullet Looks for grading in Premiere Pro, but that no longer works with CC Premiere Pro's adjustment layers.

September 13, 2013

Dave

Does this mean that GPU acceleration of Camera Raw will be coming soon too?

January 2, 2014