January 20, 2015

Inside the Edit is Now Way More Affordable: Aspiring Editors Rejoice!

Inside the Edit
Last summer, Inside the Edit, an online editing course that focuses solely on the creative aspects of editing, launched to much fanfare.

Although everyone seemed to agree that the course would be a fantastic resource and learning experience for aspiring editors, the shared sentiment from most of the filmmaking community was that the course was just too expensive. Luckily, our friends at Inside the Edit heard that message loud and clear, and the course is now being offered as a monthly or yearly subscription.

Inside the Edit Price Reduction
On a monthly basis, the course will cost £40, and yearly it will cost £400. Depending on the current conversion rate, that's roughly $55-60/month or $550-600/year. While still not inexpensive by any stretch of the imagination, these prices provide a significant discount over the full purchase price of £3000 ($4500).

The folks at Inside the Edit also put together a fresh new promo video in order to spread the word about the course's new pricing structure. Check it out below.

If you're curious about what sets Inside the Edit apart from the multitude of online tutorials about editing and software use, you need not look past the course's first tutorial, which does a fantastic job of explaining exactly how the course works and what you'll learn.

I've had the pleasure of being a member of Inside the Edit for the past few months, and while it's definitely still in its early stages of development, I can honestly say that the material presented in the course is far more in-depth than any other editing instruction I've had to date, and that includes several years of film school. While the price might still be a hard pill to swallow for editing enthusiasts, it's definitely worth considering if want to make a career out of editing, because the information in the course will help you understand the subtle, yet complex decisions that an editor must make while crafting a piece.

If you're interested in learning more about the course, check out our in-depth interview with founder Paddy Bird, and head on over to the Inside the Edit website.

So is this useless if youve been an editor for 10+ years? Or is it so in depth that you end up learning a bunch of techniques and workflows regardless of your level?

January 20, 2015 at 11:58AM

Carlos Robles
Senior Editor

I guess it really depends what kind of editing you've been doing? They seem to foucs a lot more on storytelling and narrative , rather than technical ideas.

I reckon this course could be really really good. At this price its almost rude not to :)

January 21, 2015 at 4:28AM

Looks like a tremendous resource. But when you say it's "still in its early stages of development" -- what exactly do you mean? Is the course not yet finished? Is it finished, but they're still trying to fix things? Seems like if you're going to start on a year-long endeavor like this, you'd want it to be closer to the late stages of development. . . .

January 20, 2015 at 12:14PM

The main thing is that about 1/3 of the tutorials have not been produced yet (or maybe they have and just aren't uploaded). Usually that kind of thing would be a deal-breaker for a course like this, but the amount of content that they do have available is pretty overwhelming. I've been using it for 5 months almost, and I've only completed about half of the available tutorials. Granted, I'm following along and cutting the footage alongside with the course, and I'm doing it at a snail's pace.

I would say that if you intend to cut alongside the course and put lots of time into practicing the techniques, there is plenty of material to work through for months. However, if you just want to watch all of the tutorials and be done with it, then you might be disappointed. I've also heard from the people running the site that tutorials are going to be released far more frequently now that they've gone with a monthly subscription model.

Lastly, up until this morning, they had not opened up their Raw Footage Shop, where you can buy additional raw footage to cut on your own and add to your reel. They launched it this morning, but right now there's only one other project that you can purchase other than the one that comes with the course.

January 20, 2015 at 12:49PM

Robert Hardy
Founder of Filmmaker's Process

what a bunch of BS. does having a UK accent make it better ? NOT. an edit works or it doesn't. its intuitive. if its not for you, then maybe editing isn't your career.

January 20, 2015 at 9:58PM, Edited January 20, 9:58PM

Steve Oakley
DP • Audio Mixer • Colorist • VFX Artist

I don't see it as intuitive only.
Movies have a language, a grammar that may seem to work intuitively, but it is still something you can learn to understand (better).
On the other hand: it is a language that is constantly developing, as there is always room for creativity. But there is alway a reason why a cut (doesn't) work that goes beyond intuition only.

Having said that: indeed: an edit works or it doesn't.

January 21, 2015 at 2:50AM

WalterBrokx
Director, DOP, Writer, Editor, Producer

I disagree! Edits either "work" or not depending on exactly who is commenting on it ;)

January 21, 2015 at 4:29AM

Of course having a UK accent makes it better. It sounds better, more refined, more intelegent. When one comes from the UK, as I do, one is blessed with very refined taste and a high level of intelegence. Clearly we are superior in the creative fields as well. Can you learn to be from the UK? No. One has to be born there! ;)

January 22, 2015 at 3:04AM

Heh heh. That was an awesome reply.

January 24, 2015 at 9:50PM

Jorge L. Molinari
Mechanical Engineer / Family Man / Video Producer

I wish there was a way to experience what they offer before purchasing or subscribing. Obviously not all of their material, but a trial of what's to be expected within the site.

January 21, 2015 at 2:37AM

Alex Smith
Documentary/Cinematographer

40 pounds seems like reasonable try it price.

January 22, 2015 at 2:00PM

One of my favorite lines from the Simpsons has Millhouse proclaiming: “If it’s in a book, it’s gotta be true!!!” That’s a line from 90’s. If that episode were made today, I’m sure the writers would have chosen: “If it’s in a British accent, it’s gotta be true!!!”

I feel editing is very talent-driven and a lot like writing: Everyone knows most of the words to their native tongue, but only a few can order the words in such a way that inspire and provoke emotion. That is something I believe is very difficult, if not impossible to teach. I do think you can get better at it, but you get better by being exposed to good editing. Just as you would get better at writing by reading good writing, not books on how to write. The good thing is that being exposed to good writing is as simple as buying a few classic novels in your favorite genre, and likewise, being exposed to good editing is as simple as renting a few classic movies that interest you. But then you need to pay close attention and deconstruct them: As you feel your emotions rise, ask yourself what is it about a shot, a sequence, the score (in most cases the largest contributor to emotion) , or a spoken line made you “have feelings” for the material you are watching. So to summarize I think in both writing and editing a good primer on structure is helpful and necessary. After that, your time is better spent deconstructing all the grade A Hollywood stuff that is available. And of course practicing the actual work of writing/editing.

But there has to be some talent in order to be developed. No matter how many “how to” videos and great art you are exposed to in the end you will be there, all by yourself, with your computer. All the “how to write/edit” info and all the classic novels read/movies watched will not come in and coach you with any ideas to your particular project. All they will do, and here is where exposure to good art trumps “how to’s”, is increase the likelihood of you coming up with your own awesome idea that provokes emotion. In the end it’s all on you.

January 21, 2015 at 8:00AM

Jorge L. Molinari
Mechanical Engineer / Family Man / Video Producer

I agree, it's the same with all art. Taking a 1000 painting classes won't make me Rembrandt, but it will give me an opportunity to be me if I pay attention to the "cause and effect" of the lighting, framing, pacing, etc. How do I learn to take you and your emotions down the path I want to lead you with my editing?

January 22, 2015 at 2:19PM

Well said.

January 22, 2015 at 8:10PM

Love this course. Check out this amazing interview and editing master class with the founder Paddy Bird: http://www.indiefilmhustle.com/inside-the-edit/

November 5, 2015 at 4:02PM

Alex Ferrari
Director / Producer

Great! The offered editing course consider very excellent in the displayed video, I must check out online tutorials more.

October 31, 2016 at 8:52AM