June 21, 2015

Every Keyboard Shortcut That You Will Ever Need for Premiere Pro & After Effects

I'm a big fan of keyboard shortcuts. Once they've been memorized and committed to your muscle memory, keyboard shortcuts can speed up your work considerably. In a recent series of posts on SetUpABlogToday, a fellow named Jamie shared a handy infographic detailing all of the most helpful keyboard shortcuts for Adobe's Creative Cloud applications. Here's a piece of that graphic, which covers most everything you'd need to know for Premiere and After Effects.

Premiere Pro and After Effects Keyboard Shortcuts

Of course, these are the default keyboard shortcuts that come standard in Premiere Pro and After Effects. If you're just starting out with either of these programs, you may as well just learn the standard set since you haven't already put in the effort to learn the shortcuts from another app. However, if you're coming to Premiere Pro CC from another NLE or an earlier version of the software, you can always setup the program to use the keyboard presets that you already know. Or, if you're like me, you can create your own custom set of keyboard shortcuts that you can take with you wherever you go. Mine's a weird amalgamation of Avid and FCP7 shortcuts that I have been using for years.

If you're interested in checking out the keyboard graphics for the other Adobe CC apps, head on over to Jamie's site and check them out. There are also links down below to expanded and downloadable versions of the Premiere Pro and After Effects cheatsheets. Enjoy!

"Mine's a weird amalgamation of Avid and FCP7 shortcuts that I have been using for years." Same.

June 22, 2015 at 1:04AM, Edited June 22, 1:04AM

Stu Mannion
writer/dir/dp

Nice!

June 22, 2015 at 2:05AM

Donovan Vim Crony
Director, DP, Editor, VFX, Sci-Fi Lover

how to watch the video in full screen in premiere CC on windows? thank you

June 22, 2015 at 2:22AM

The tilde key.

June 22, 2015 at 8:52AM, Edited June 22, 8:52AM

Jonathon Sendall
Stories

I'm not sure on a Windows, but on a Mac it's control+tilda

June 22, 2015 at 8:52AM

Ben Hilton
DP, Editor

control+tilde

June 22, 2015 at 10:50AM

Just tilde should work. ~ It will enlarge whichever window you have selected. Program monitor is Shift-4, then hit ~ and it will blow it up. Hit ~ again to go back to normal size.

Hit Shift -3 and you will go back to the timeline to resume editing.

June 22, 2015 at 12:26PM

Mike Schreurs
Cinematographer, Freelance Videographer

I have an italian keyboard and there is not "tilde" what can I do please?

thx

June 22, 2015 at 6:22PM

I got it! On my Windows Premiere Pro CC 2014 the key is "CTRL+ò"
I have the italian keyboard maybe is for this reason that it is different.

June 23, 2015 at 2:33AM

is there a keyboard shortcut to remove the ten thousand bugs that plague the new 2015 version and render it useless ?

June 22, 2015 at 4:50AM

stephen knifton
owner / creative director

I know this doesn't help you much now, but in the future why bother updating immediately? The updates always seem to be riddled with bugs, but if you give it a couple weeks a patch usually comes out that improves things dramatically.

June 22, 2015 at 9:27AM

Jonathan Mayer
Writer/Director

this better be the mother of all patches; because this thing is unworkable POS judging by the depth and variety of issues on the forums.

June 22, 2015 at 12:06PM

stephen knifton
owner / creative director

It is pretty hectic so far for me. Importing folders containing clips has been crashing Pr. Such a small workflow change but it hurts a lot. Of course all the other crashes and bugs.

June 22, 2015 at 12:24PM

Mike Schreurs
Cinematographer, Freelance Videographer

With the update(s), you have the option of keeping your old versions. Definitely helpful if you want to try out any new features, but also have looming deadlines.

June 30, 2015 at 1:47PM

U key for After Effects in my opinion is very important - it shows all keyframes for layer.

June 22, 2015 at 5:07AM

Great resource thank you. I've downloaded the PDF and will print them up big. BIG!!!

June 22, 2015 at 6:32AM

Muscle memory is key. I always love seeing these and find them to be useful as a reference for months and months to come.

June 22, 2015 at 11:34AM

Tim Ryan
Filmmaker

On the Premiere cheat sheet Q,W are incorrect and as well as { , }. \ shows the whole timeline, not playground. Actually, a slew of these are incorrect on the based on the Premiere Default in Premiere 2015. Even PR CS6 some of these are still wrong. Disappointed.

June 22, 2015 at 12:20PM

Mike Schreurs
Cinematographer, Freelance Videographer

Yep, and I noticed one that seems to be labelled inconsistently -- rate stretch is listed as "K" in the basic editing box, but "X" on the keyboard layout.

Might also be some useful ones omitted, mainly key combinations. Like ctrl+K in Premiere to cut through all selected tracks, or shift+M to go to next marker, or... whatever the command is (I forget!) in AE that lets you cut a layer and start a new layer.

June 22, 2015 at 6:35PM

Adrian Tan
Videographer

thanks pal

June 22, 2015 at 3:21PM

Daniyar Seisenov
Filmmaker / Editor / Writer

Very useful, thanks

June 22, 2015 at 4:54PM

This is a bit disappointing. Only top layers of short-keys, all the initial ones we learn. There was nothing new. I miss the way FCP7 managed the short-keys, it had a layout of the keyboard and you could select different combinations of modifier keys and see the short-keys related to those modifier, much more intuitive, visual and efficient way of mapping. Premiere still needs to evolve in practical ways like this. Love the new colour grading tool, but man some of the basics are still lacking. I hate programming shortkeys in premier.

June 22, 2015 at 11:53PM

Jean-Marc Abela
Director, DoP, Editor

A keyboard shortcut collection for Premiere Pro that doesn't include keys for Top & Tail editing (Ripple Trim previous/next Edit to Playhead), and calls Q and W "Go to In Point" and "Go to Out Point" which is totally wrong? Sorry, I can't take that seriously. A nice effort, but it needs to be reviewed by someone who knows the software better.

June 23, 2015 at 3:06AM

Jarle Leirpoll
Film Maker, Editor and Director of Photography

I downloaded this "crib sheet" from another location, but I LOVE IT!! Only wish they had created one for Audition...bummer!

June 24, 2015 at 1:29PM

Thank you kindly! : )

July 7, 2015 at 10:25AM

Yemi Sawyerr
Cinematographer

Twenty years ago, Avid MC allowed you to map your keyboard. Not just short cuts, but menu items too. So, I mapped the moves I used the most. Seemed sensible.

Since then, NLE's came in and out of my life like lovers, but my moves worked for them all. When FCPX blew up, I just mapped my moves, and we danced. When I ran screaming from that 'overly attached magnetic' girlfriend, into the familiar arms of Premiere Pro, i just brought my moves, and it was like FCP8.

So my advice to new editors, know your moves, map and memorize, and dance with anyone.

November 4, 2016 at 4:07PM

Garrett Evans
Video Consumption Strategist, Post Super

I have a question concerning your Avid background. Are the ProTools Keyboard Shortcuts similar to MediaComposer?

November 5, 2016 at 12:25AM

I don't think you'll find a lot in common, but there may be a few. I stopped using Avid in 1999, so I'm not gonna be the best resource.

November 9, 2016 at 3:56PM