June 9, 2016

Massively Updated Blackmagic DaVinci Resolve 12.5 Now Available for Download

The day has finally come! Blackmagic Design has announced that fans of DaVinci Resolve can now get their hands on the latest and mega-updated version, 12.5.

That's right. Resolve is out of beta and ready for your outstretched hands to try out all of the new goodies. And Blackmagic really outdid themselves when they overhauled their editing/color correction software with over 1,000 enhancements, as well as 250 new features—new editing toolset, new color features, new effects, they're all there.

We got to talk to them at this year's NAB about a lot of the new stuff included in 12.5, like linking Resolve to Blackmagic's effects program Fusion, live grading, temperature and tint sliders, and new OpenFX plugins. If you want to get an idea of which of Resolve's new features and enhancements will make the most impact on your workflow, this write-up we posted last month highlights "14 of the biggest game-changers" you'll find in the newest version

Blackmagic Design has been on a mission since acquiring DaVinci Resolve to make the software as advanced, powerful, and democratizing for its users as it can be, a message clearly relayed by Senior Manager Bob Caniglia. And Resolve is undoubtedly a beefy, pro-grade color correction program, but its role as a video editor hasn't quite been fully fleshed out, namely because it has only just now, with this update, included standard editing features, like these:

• Create timelines with a specific number of audio and video tracks: When creating a new timeline, users can specify precise numbers of tracks for both audio and video, rather than defaulting to one of each as in the past.
  • Dragging clips to Timeline Viewer: If there aren't any timelines, dragging a clip to the timeline overlay now automatically creates a new timeline. This saves the extra step of creating a timeline before adding clips to it.
  • Command-Option Up or Down moves a video clip up or down tracks.
  • Command-Shift Up or Down moves audio up or down tracks.
  • The middle mouse button enables horizontal and vertical timeline scrolling.

You can now download both DaVinci Resolve 12.5 and DaVinci Resolve 12.5 Studio from Blackmagic Design's website. If you're a current Resolve customers, the update is free. If you're not, you're looking at $995 for DaVinci Resolve 12.5 Studio.

I use both Adobe Premiere and DaVinci Resolve Studio. I'm Impressed with how Resolve is "evolving" and how it offers many great color grading and video editing features, most which of which are even for free in their basic version. Good developments!

June 9, 2016 at 7:29AM

Erwin Hartsuiker
CineVideo-NL videographer

Alexis Van Hurkman spends 4.5 hours going over the new features in version 12.5:

June 9, 2016 at 7:33AM

Razor
VFX Colorist

Does the new update still require installing QuickTime?
I was told to uninstall it since Apple stopped its security updates.

June 9, 2016 at 8:54AM

So I'm assuming the 12.5 version I downloaded a month or so ago was the beta version? I wonder what the difference would be between the two...probably making it more stable and finalizing the software I guess. One thing, I horizontal and vertical scrolling are now available using the scrolling wheel on the mouse. When I scroll it affects the track height. Does anyone know how to shift to horizontal scrolling of the timeline? Thanks, all!

June 9, 2016 at 9:27AM

Dave Esposito
Film maker - owner Agricola Media

Does somebody maybe know where to find the list of feature updates?:)

June 9, 2016 at 10:31AM

Roy Fochtman
2BadMen | Filmmaker | Photographer

As long I cannot insert and play back footage smoothly (which takes very looooooooooooooong) and the file management as well as the window management is such a crap, there is no reason to jump on this.

In Premiere and on the same machine, everything runs smoothly. Resolve does not.

June 9, 2016 at 10:34AM, Edited June 9, 10:35AM

JeffreyWalther
Steadicam Operator

I agree..

June 9, 2016 at 10:46AM, Edited June 9, 10:46AM

Roy Fochtman
2BadMen | Filmmaker | Photographer

Resolve runs smoother if you set up the debayer, smart caching and the proxy mode correctly. http://timeinpixels.com/2014/12/improve-davinci-resolve-performance-3-st...

June 9, 2016 at 3:23PM, Edited June 9, 3:22PM

Brad Jones
Director/Producer/Writer/Editor

Listen to me.

Resolve has the worst window management I have ever seen,
the worst file management I have ever used,
and with an NLE you should be simply able to import and insert clips to the time line w/o waiting seconds til you can start the playback.

Sure, you can fine tune and tweak here and there for performance,
but the overall operation should run smoothly, but it doesn't in Resolve.
It even does not support a few codecs while other NLEs do. It's crap.

Adobe Premiere, Sony Vegas,.. (and I guess all other NLEs) run faster from the first time w/o tweaking. Resolve is just bad coded and has low performance.

Resolve has no features I cannot have in Adobe CC as well - plus better performance.

June 9, 2016 at 3:39PM, Edited June 9, 3:39PM

JeffreyWalther
Steadicam Operator

I give you that there is still a lot to be desired in resolve on window management, file management and performance, but it has SO much more to offer on the color correction side of things compared to Premiere. I heavilly work with premiere, and have recently started to re-discover Resolve and im astonished by the CC power that it has. Even with the new lumetri panels Premiere doesnt come close in my opinion.

June 9, 2016 at 4:45PM

Jeroen Rommelaars
Animator - Videographer - Motion Tracking

while it may not have the layout management that other has, Resolve is a pro level color grade tool that now has very good NLE capabilities. Resource heavy? yes. but the results, in my option and many others, are far superior to premiere. It's a pro software so expects some pro resources, codecs, workflows etc. If that doesn't suit then fine, look elsewhere but to simply label it as crap shows a lack of understanding that different products are targeted at different markets.

June 9, 2016 at 5:55PM, Edited June 9, 5:55PM

jeff brass
camera button pusher

Re: "Resolve has no features I cannot have in Adobe CC", "It's crap" - Unfortunately such emotionally intense and amateur driven statements like these, invalidate your experience in both applications.

June 10, 2016 at 8:22AM

Razor
VFX Colorist

So please, name some examples on specific Resolve features. Please, do it.

June 11, 2016 at 2:04AM

JeffreyWalther
Steadicam Operator

You sound like a bitter old jackass afraid of something coming to "take over" your precious old school tools.
Get over yourself mate.

June 11, 2016 at 3:07AM

To name some little things, think of specifically selecting one color with a certain ammount of saturation/lightness and completely altering ONLY that color, or a simple luma vs saturation curve.

Basically, you can select any piece of your composition, isolate it, and change it to whatever you want. You can do this as many times as needed to create YOUR perfect scene.

In Premiere the CC tools are more global for the entire scene, thus changing one aspect will almost always change the entire scene.

June 13, 2016 at 5:08AM, Edited June 13, 5:09AM

Jeroen Rommelaars
Animator - Videographer - Motion Tracking

Actually, selecting a piece of image and then adjusting it, based on saturation, brightness and color values has always been possible, since I have used Premiere Pro (since cs4 or cs5) - three-way CC, secondary color grade. Now in Lumetri saturation in different color channels is even easier adjustable than before. And since PPro CC version trackable masks are also available (one thing, in which resolve was better a few years ago). When Premiere gave us trackable masks, I don't switch to Resolve anymore, there just isn't a thing I can't do in Premiere.
So when I hear someone saying that he uses Premiere for editing and Resolve for coloring, I'm just very curious, what is that thing, that can't be done in Premiere.

June 13, 2016 at 8:49AM

ReinisK
Cameraguy, editor

@ReinisK
That are my words. Premiere is very powerful.

June 13, 2016 at 2:26PM

JeffreyWalther
Steadicam Operator

The three way CC in premiere isnt quite as refined as the qualifier in resolve in my opinion, but then again, maybe I have been using it incorrectly.

The clean selection of one specific color that I can easilly achieve in resolve is something I personally cannot reproduce in Premiere. Im very interested how you pull this off.

If indeed you can get the same selection within premiere than a large portion of resolve may become absolute in my personal workflow.

However, up till now I found things like trackers etc. working a LOT better in resolve than in premiere. In addition, in premiere you need plugins for de-noisers etc, whereas in resolve it comes with the pro package. Since I have the pro package im not really tempted to buy plugins for every feature that I want to add, but Im guessing it should be possible.

June 14, 2016 at 5:04AM

Jeroen Rommelaars
Animator - Videographer - Motion Tracking

I have plug ins Premiere that support color isolating, masking etc - 32 bit. No need to leave the NLE at all - and that speeds up the workflow.

No proxies, no data convertion, late edit changes at any time, and everything with high performance.

No need for Resolve anymore.

June 13, 2016 at 2:24PM, Edited June 13, 2:27PM

JeffreyWalther
Steadicam Operator

You still need an Nvidia card to run it though, right? Damn this Intel graphics card!

June 9, 2016 at 7:40PM

Hey Guys its only me or BMD changed something in Qualifier? when You click highlight i got only selected area in black & white and i have no idea how to change it like "hour" a go when i had a beta 12.5. What i do wrong ? there is small icon "highlight b/w" this also do nothing ? any help ?

June 10, 2016 at 5:24AM, Edited June 10, 5:24AM

Awesome news. Being a technophile i just loved this post. DaVinci is most awaited one and all credit goes blackmagic design. The new version will come out definitely with enhancements.
Students can now also get help online in their university assignment from http://www.globalassignmenthelp.com/ which is a reliable source.

June 10, 2016 at 6:45AM

I spent quite a long time for studying and sometimes I felt myself burned down. But such services as https://writersperhour.com/24-essay helped me a lot in situations when I'd been out of time...

September 12, 2016 at 3:39PM

Anthony Bergs
Project Manager

And that's the way I do: http://cheapcustomwriting.net share your thoughts ;)

January 12, 2017 at 6:23AM

Robert Ross
Senior manager

Awesome news. Being a technophile i just loved this post. The new version will come out definitely with enhancements.
Students can now also get help online assignment from http://www.assignmenthelpers.co.uk/

February 10, 2017 at 1:57AM, Edited February 10, 1:57AM

Bella Jase
Assignment Helpers

I use DaVinci Resolve Studio and i love how efficient it performed with the new update 12.5.

April 6, 2017 at 3:46AM

Many thanks for sharing this very diverse opinion post where each expert has no doubt shared his best knowledge on the topic. Have more success in your journey.

June 22, 2017 at 3:48AM

get USPS track details through postage and shipping from http://www-uspstracking.com/

July 5, 2017 at 11:55AM

This update is really setting up some new records. This massively update of davinci is a boom over the previous version.

July 13, 2017 at 2:27AM, Edited July 13, 2:31AM

Good content, thanks for sharing.
I would also like to share an information which is all about Chemistry Assignment Help

July 14, 2017 at 1:22AM, Edited July 14, 1:22AM

ervin cote
Manager

Thanks a lot for sharing it, that’s truly has added a lot to our knowledge about this topic. Have a more successful day.
Online Assignment Help Sydney

July 20, 2017 at 9:04AM

How about Stability improvements when compared to windows 8.1?

August 11, 2017 at 8:21AM