Magic Lantern, the
well-known third party firmware solution for Canon DSLRs that we discussed a few weeks ago, has finally released their newest firmware version 2.3 as a free download. Since it takes a tremendous amount of work to put together these firmware updates, they were asking for a donation in exchange for the download, or you could compile the firmware update yourself for free (which isn't very straightforward). Check out the video below to see some of the great features that have been added in this version.
Here are just a few of the new features and the cameras/firmware versions that work with the software:
- Full support for 5D mark II
- Fast Zebras
- Customizable menu and shortcut keys
- Automatic HDR bracketing
- Timelapse features
- Advanced ISO control (ISO 80, improved highlight rolloff, ISO 51200…)
- Advanced FPS control (24.000 FPS and 0.2 FPS possible)
- New menu design
- Image analysis tools in photo mode
- Contrast and saturation adjustments for LiveView
- Improved Stability
- Very fast playback zoom
- Compatibility with: Canon 5D Mark II 2.1.2, T2i/550D 1.0.9, 60D 1.1.1, T3i/600D 1.0.2, 50D 1.0.9 and T1i/500D 1.1.1
One of the most impressive parts of the new update has to be the HDR compatibility. Luke Neumann put together this video showing off that capability:
Video is no longer available: vimeo.com/lukeneumann/canon5dhdrvideo
The team at Magic Lantern have worked incredibly hard, so if you do use your camera for professional jobs, and you install ML on your DSLR, it might not be a bad thing to head on over to their site and donate a few bucks. This stuff isn't easy, and all of the added features have taken years to really implement. The money also allows them to continue developing updates and possibly get them working with newer cameras, like the Canon 5D Mark III and the Canon T4i.
Head on over to the Magic Lantern to read more about the new features, or download the update using the link below.