Need to Keep Track of Major Film Festival Deadlines? There's an iFilmfest App for That
Every once in a while I am reminded that I live in an age with an eerie yet delightful attribute: I can ask why isn't there a device or piece of software that does a certain thing, and then usually within 6 months the thing I wanted becomes a reality. Case in point: I was wondering how a friend of mine went about keeping track of a bunch of major film festival deadlines. The most obvious answer was that he probably spends time on Withoutabox and enters in deadlines into some calendar software. Still, I couldn't help but ask myself "why isn't there an all-in-one app that helps filmmakers keep track of film festivals?" As if on cue, a few days later iFilmfest popped up on my digital radar.
- Find festival deadlines instantly
- Search a directory of the 300 most influential film festivals
- Filter your festival search by tags, genres, categories, and submission deadlines
- Detailed profiles for each listed festival
- Setup deadline reminders and add festivals dates and info directly into your calendar
- Create your own festival circuit and export it as a PDF, RTF, or TXT file
Overall, iFilmfest looks like a handy tool to get quick access to pertinent information on major festivals (although part of me would like a more comprehensive directory akin to Withoutabox), and of course I love the reminder and calendar functions. I have two complaints though: the app seems kind of sluggish on my iPhone 4, yet it doesn't strike me as something that would require a whole lot of system resources. The other more annoying issue is that -- while the number of days until a deadline are listed -- the month of the deadline isn't listed, which results in something like this: (null) 5th, 2013. Hopefully, both of these issues will be fixed in a future update.
[via Digital Journal]