May 2, 2013

Vimeo Launches New Mobile Website, Plus Interface Improvements for On Demand Content

Vimeo's latest advancements come in the form of an optimization of what already exists: their mobile website and On Demand platforms. Boasting that over 1/3 of their monthly traffic can be accredited to their mobile site, the new redesign aims to make it easier for users to find and view content, as well as connect with the community. By the same token, they have also updated the interface for the Vimeo On Demand homepage, making it look and feel a little bit more like platforms we're used to. Click through to see the new improvements.

The old mobile (left) versus new (right) from the Vimeo Blog:

Added functionality to the mobile site includes commenting, following users, mobile-specific profiles, uploading functionality and the ability to edit details and privacy settings on your videos.

The folks over at the Vimeo Blog had this to say about the new On Demand homepage:

Hundreds of VOD works have been uploaded, thousands of purchases made, and a whole bunch of creators have received funds to pour into their next work. And today, we’re making that next work easier than ever to discover. The new homepage is the latest in ongoing updates to our VOD platform, but far from the last. Stay tuned for new ways to discover and enjoy amazing works, and directly support the creators who make them.

Look familiar? As Vimeo poises itself to be a major destination for film, episodic, and video content of all kinds, it's looking to borrow from the navigation scheme of some existing platforms out there.

The evolution that Vimeo has gone through since the beginning is an interesting one to follow, starting out as a simple alternative to YouTube, it now looks like they are really becoming a huge player in how we get access to content.

What do you think about Vimeo's recent advancements? Share with us in the comments below.

Links:

Netflix is missing out. Tisk, Tisk.

May 2, 2013 at 7:47PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Sean

I like it!

May 2, 2013 at 8:20PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

alex

Vimeo still has the absolute worst home page when you aren't logged in. I don't know who thought it would be a good idea to hide the actual log in, and who designed that waste of space nature/door graphic.

May 2, 2013 at 8:49PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

travis

Was this why it was working so poorly today?
Looks fine. Looks like the IFC to Netflix's more general fare. All good.

May 2, 2013 at 9:58PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

marklondon

I still can't believe that you can't view a users other work when you are viewing a video on their app! What a feature to miss out!

May 2, 2013 at 10:26PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Kraig

AGREED GRRR

May 2, 2013 at 11:14PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Aaron G

I wish they would allow viewers to buy and watch on-demand videos without having to sign up for a Vimeo account, as this will potentially put many of them off.

May 3, 2013 at 5:44AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Adr

I agree. I understand Vimeo's reasoning for requiring viewers to sign up for Vimeo in order to purchase a VOD, but its an added step that deters a lot of viewers. I know from experience - my documentary was on VOD for 24 days, and many potential viewers contacted me directly saying they were willing to pay the VOD fee, but weren't willing to sign up for an account. It has to be as fast and simple of a process as possible. There has to be a better way!

May 9, 2013 at 5:16PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Wow if thats true (have to sign up to see VOD) that is very discouraging. I love Vimeo and have my 1st feature coming out, was seriously considering them for distribution. I cant afford to if they ad that step, it takes money off the table, even for them!

May 10, 2013 at 11:37AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM