July 16, 2013

Apple Unveils Logic Pro X: Complete Overhaul of the Professional Audio Editing Application

Apple Logic Pro XApple has unveiled the next generation of their professional audio editing software Logic Pro X. Since we haven't seen an upgrade for about 4 years (Logic Pro 9 came out in 2009,) a bunch of new features, like a wider collection of music, more advanced tools, like the "Drummer" feature, as well as a complete overhaul of the interface are just a few of Logic Pro X's improvements. Find out more about what you can expect to get out of Logic Pro X, as well as how much it's going to run you after the jump.

Logic Pro X boasts a more clean, streamlined interface that gives musicians and other creatives better usability when creating professional quality music. Access to advanced tools and functionality can be hidden (or not) to give users the option to focus on their creativity, or get more hands-on and take full creative control.

New features include a new sound library, Drummer, Flex Pitch, Track Stacks, The Arpeggiator, and many more, including the Logic Remote.

Drummer is the first virtual session player -- drum tracks that respond to your direction, which, I've heard, sound "very realistic." So, if you're trying to make music, but haven't a drummer, no worries.

Flex Pitch allows you to fix vocals that are out of tune and even change melodies by manipulating individual notes. Track Stacks helps keep you better organized while composing music. It lets you organize and collapse multiple tracks into one, or can be used to create layered instruments. The Arpeggiator is one of 9 new MIDI plug-ins and can transform a simple keyboard chord into an elaborate performance.

The Logic Remote app is an extension of Logic Pro X in that it uses the iPad's Multi-Touch display to allow you to control LPX wirelessly. The app turns your iPad into a keyboard, drum pad, guitar fretboard, mixing board or transport control, giving you a different experience (especially when mixing.)

Like I said before, Logic Pro X has gone through quite the overhaul and has added tons of new features. Head on over here to find out what the rest of the new features are, how they work, and what they can do for you.

Logic Pro X will cost you $199.99, and the Logic Remote is available today as a free download from the App Store.

Have you had the opportunity to use it yet? What did you think? Let us know in the comments.

Links:

Supports Final Cut Pro X XML too!

July 16, 2013 at 7:04PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Dave

I like the price. Well within my means. Might check it out!

July 16, 2013 at 7:11PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

After a look over this release it seems like they released it a little too soon. A few great new features inbuilt like the pitch tuner (albeit mono as oppose to Celodynes polyphonic plug in). Also, they haven't upgraded a lot of plug ins, for example Ultrabeat drum machine.... It seems like Apple just wanted to push what it had out without a full and total overhaul as it had been so long. However, in doing so they have demonstrated that they have been firmly left behind by the competition such as Ableton. One of the main factors I will NOT be upgrading is that that I use a lot 32 bit plug ins and Apples new Logic is 64 bit only. I have to say, very disappointed at wahtr seems like a half baked upgrade and it seems have left old 'Pro' users behind again as they did, in my opinion. with FCP 7 users. I've already been checking Ableton out since today's announcement, something I thought I wouldn't need to or have to do. Onwards and upwards!!

July 16, 2013 at 7:18PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Darren Wolff

I agree that this upgrade is mostly about catching up with what everyone else has added in the last 4 years, not really pushing any boundaries. Drummer might be an exception to that (I haven't tried it), but that's not going to be hugely useful to a lot of people.

I would suggest Reaper as an alternative if you're looking. Not as MIDI and sampling-oriented as Ableton (which is the best at that stuff, no contest), but more advanced for mixing. It supports all 32- and 64-bit plugins and is a lot easier to mix and route with. Just my 2c. Speaking of 2c, it's also much cheaper.

July 16, 2013 at 7:30PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Colin

@Darren Wolff - "I've already been checking Ableton out." Yes, you are on the right track. Go for Ableton. I bought Ableton, and it is truly amazing software! Add-in Push, and it takes it to a whole new level.

July 16, 2013 at 9:22PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Razor

I have been using Ableton and like it a lot. I wouldn't hesitate to get it if I was you.

January 27, 2015 at 6:24PM

Beau Wright
Filmmaker

Big, big, helpful nugget:

"Logic Pro X offers end-to-end surround capabilities, allowing you to record, edit, and mix projects in surround up to 7.1."

You previously required a $1,000 ProTools HD system to get surround mixing. Now it's $200. This just saved a film I'm working on from being stereo mix only.

July 16, 2013 at 7:43PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Robert

That's great to hear. Can it encode AC3?

July 16, 2013 at 9:00PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Ryan Koo
Founder
Writer/Director

I think that will end up being a plugin option in order for it to fit the Dolby specifications.

July 16, 2013 at 11:45PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Robert

Compressor (£35) encodes to AC3.

July 17, 2013 at 4:01AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Just FYI, FCP X has had 5.1 surround mixing and output since day 1. Of course, it may not have all the tools you're looking for in the mixing process, but the surround side works fine. You do need external hardware if you want to hear true 5.1 while mixing, as you only get matrix-encoded stereo (even through an optical cable) while working live.

July 17, 2013 at 9:38AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

That's interesting, so even if you tell OS X to output discrete surround through the optical port instead of matrixed stereo, FCP X still outputs in stereo? That seems odd.

July 18, 2013 at 10:17AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

trackofalljades

Logic can do that already, seems like you dont know what your using. I mixed a full HD live set in logic 9... 5.1

September 17, 2013 at 7:48AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

craigjackson

So I've never used Logic before. How much of an audio post tool is it versus music production? I assume you can do foley and ADR work in it? How does it compare to Audition?

July 16, 2013 at 8:33PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

I would love to see a comparison with Audition, I love the ease of removing unwanted sounds in Audition. If LPX has similar features ill purchase it.

July 16, 2013 at 8:38PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

James

It's a very good post tool, arguably more flexible than Audition. It's like NLEs: everyone has their bias, largely informed by what they're used to working with, but all of the standard options will do what you need.

July 16, 2013 at 8:52PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Colin

There is no comparison between the two -

Logic is a full-blown DAW (Digital Audio Workstation) while Audition is a simple waveform editor.

With Logic, you can create, edit, mix, and master audio (dozens of tracks at once) while Audition is geared for more single audio clip editing. The difference is night and day.

If you are working with a band or musician, a DAW is the way to go. Audition is useful in post for single audio sources (i.e. Foley track).

July 17, 2013 at 4:10PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Ableton

When was the last time you used Audition? It definitely does multi-track editing...

July 17, 2013 at 6:24PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Gabe

Hi,

I have used Logic Pro 9 for a long time and I'm really loving all the new stuff in Logic Pro X, the new instruments, the iPad control, pitch editing, and the pricing, but I simply can't use it because 95% of the third party plugins that I currently use are 32 bit and they play an essential role in my sound. I'm really disappointed because I've waited a lot for this update and now I simply can't use it. I think i have no choice, I have to start using Ableton because I need to start updating my system and I'm not waiting another 4 years for a new Logic update.

July 16, 2013 at 8:49PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Miguel Delgado

I'm sure it won't be too long until most plugins are updated to 64bit because of this.

July 16, 2013 at 9:15PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Clayton Arnall

I too am disappointed it only supports 64-bit plugins, since most manufacturers have not updated their plug-ins yet.

64-bit is the way forward but for now it will be a waiting game. I reverted back to Ableton Live 8 because most of my plugs are 32-bit also.

July 17, 2013 at 4:16PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Ableton

Once again Apple is too late to the party. Everyone have already moved on to bigger and better DAWs like: Ableton Live, Pro Tools, Studio One, or Cubase.

July 16, 2013 at 9:12PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Razor

Did you notice this part: $199

July 16, 2013 at 9:34PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Yes I did. It's priced right where a mid-level tool needs to be. The better DAWs cost more.

July 16, 2013 at 9:44PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Razor

That's just a stupid thing to say.

July 17, 2013 at 6:49AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Jeff

Actually, it does feel and look low- to mid-range.

July 17, 2013 at 11:01AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Ah

I'll probably never go back to Cubase and I swore to never buy another Presonus product because of a negative, lengthy, somewhat costly and totally avoidable experience with their tech support. I'm on LP9 and I'm not really feeling a need to upgrade to anything new at the moment.

July 16, 2013 at 10:57PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Brian

Apple pretty much sucks now and is a shell of its former self. Steve Jobs product cycle has clearly passed.

July 17, 2013 at 12:31AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Mark

July 17, 2013 at 1:53AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

john jeffries

Why does this new version of Logic make you say that? I don't get it...

July 17, 2013 at 6:53AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Jeff

Asking as a total novice when it comes to DAW's: is Logic suited to audio post production for film, especially when compared to Pro Tools? I've heard stories about framerate difficulties and other basic sync problems — have these been addressed with this new version?

July 16, 2013 at 9:33PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Davíð

WHEN APPLE BECOMES INNOVATIVE LIKE IN THE CASE OF FCPX, ITS A PROBLEM. WHEN THEY JUST ADD A FEW TWEAKS TO AN EXISTING SOFTWARE, THEY ARE NOT PUSHING BOUNDARIES. WHAT THE HELL DO PROFESSIONALS NEED?

July 17, 2013 at 12:25AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

sisay

Uh, they just needed something that could take advantage of 64 bit support ya dild. Nothing more, nothing less. The fact that Apple decided to redesign the wheel just proves that they are in the game to keep consumers consuming and not give the masses what they need - and want. Screw them, I'll play the violin - still going strong since 1600 . . .

October 10, 2013 at 3:51AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Skyko

A professional is someone who is qualified or engaged in a profession and MAKES A LIVING OUT OF IT. He or She produces work that suggests they have had training or the NECESSARY SKILLS to accomplish that work.

YOUR SKILLS, CREATIVITY AND THE QUALITY OF YOUR WORK IS WHAT MAKES YOU A PRO. THAT'S JUST IT.

DOES APPLE MAKE STUFF FOR PROS??? NO THEY DONT. THEY MAKE STUFF FOR CREATIVE PEOPLE.

ITS YOUR CHOICE, DO YOU WANT TO BE CREATIVE OR DO YOU WANT TO BE A PROFESSIONAL.

July 17, 2013 at 12:43AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

sisay

Stop Yelling. Are you 12?

July 17, 2013 at 2:26AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Space Captain

@sisay. Let me get this straight. Not only are you declaring you're not creative, you're yelling it? You go from saying creativity is a part of being a pro to suggesting they're mutually exclusive. Thanks for clearing that up.

What constitutes professional level equipment has always been a moving target. What's standard gear now would've gotten you mocked 10 or 15 years ago. This is probably even more the case for video than audio. Many pros want their gear to be expensive and intimidating, especially to beginners, when history repeatedly shows the most successful tools inevitably get easier to use and less expensive while becoming exponentially more powerful in many cases.

Logic has a different target audience than some other DAWs. To me, it's more working musician/composer focused. It has robust tools to satisfy many engineers' needs but it's no Pro Tools. And Pro Tools is no Live when it comes to performance and sound manipulation capabilities. All DAWs have adopted features from each other to help round out their toolsets. LPX is not an innovative release but it did add many musician-centric features, which will benefit its core user base for less than the price of many Pro Tools plugins.

July 17, 2013 at 6:55AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Brian

Apple makes stuff for pros ?

(Sorry Apple .. you guys gave me a rock solid kick in the ribs with the final cut fiasco, and made it clear i should jump to the Adobe side .. .which I did ... and i'm eternally grateful to you for forcefully steering me to your competition. I'm here for good, giving them my hard-earned cash instead of you guys.)

July 17, 2013 at 12:20AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

sjk

You and me both buddy

July 17, 2013 at 11:20AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Adobe doesn't make a pro music production software though.

July 17, 2013 at 12:39PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

steve

I hope you enjoy that monthly bill you'll be getting forever. :P

July 18, 2013 at 10:23AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

trackofalljades

This looks like a glorified GarageBand, nothing more.
Go check www.reaper.fm instead ...

July 17, 2013 at 6:28AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

pask

July 17, 2013 at 7:00AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Jeff

In what way shape or form does this look like GarageBand? It's the same Logic it has always been just better...

July 17, 2013 at 7:02AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Jeff

I apologize for the double comment something went wrong with 3g connection.

July 17, 2013 at 7:04AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Jeff

I looked on the Reaper website and couldn't find anything about XML. Does Reaper support FCPX XML?

July 18, 2013 at 11:16AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Dave

Both are XML based, but format and interpret it differently. Vordio has a plugin that will translate them for you: http://vordio.net/

For Windows there's AATranslator.

July 18, 2013 at 2:48PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Colin

LOL . . . RIGHT on.

October 10, 2013 at 3:53AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Skyko

IM TYPING NOT YELLING :-)

July 17, 2013 at 6:54AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

sisay

Well, while you're "not yelling", for god's sake learn how the "reply" button works.

July 17, 2013 at 8:21PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Luke

What I don't get is this. When Apple announced FCPX people went crazy about how different it was from the previous version and now when new Logic is out people are complaining about how similar it is to the previous version. Personally I loved FCPX because it took huge balls to do something like that and I would have loved if something similar happened to Logic. People who loved the old fcp now have Premiere, we who love FCPX have that, so everyone's happy. But I don't claim that FCPx is the best only because I use it! I use both Avid and FCPX depending on what I'm editing and I use Pro Tools for video sound and Logic for music. You can't say to me that Premiere is better than FCPx because for me it isn't... For you it may be. Hence, it's a subjective thing to say. In the same way you can't say Live, or Reaper, or Pro Tools is better than Logic... It may work better for you, Logic may work better for someone else.

July 17, 2013 at 7:24AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Jeff

Who's complaining about it being too alike the old version? No one on this thread so far as I can tell.

July 17, 2013 at 9:08AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Brian

@Jeff - Re: "You can’t say to me that Premiere is better than FCPx" - Premiere is much better than FCPX. Ableton Live easily outclasses Logic.

July 18, 2013 at 8:24AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Razor

@Razor: Bullshit! Ableton is a completely different thing compared to Logic. I´m a Pro-Composer since 25 Years and both are great tools. I would never use Ableton for serious Band-producing like i never would use Logic for Dance. But both can do the thing. The tools are able to do more than you probably need. So... use the thing you prefer and everything is great. Nowadays it´s no matter what you use but what you do with the tools.
Same with FCP X and Premiere Pro.

July 19, 2013 at 3:35AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

mortonmensh

@mortonmensh - Completely wrong. Obviously you don't own Ableton and you know very little about it.

July 21, 2013 at 6:36AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Razor

"Whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser people are full of doubts” G. B. Shaw

July 21, 2013 at 9:36AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Vlasta

Since everyone has an opinion, here's mine (oversimplified):

- Logic and Ableton Live aren't direct competitors. Live's strength is in composition and sequencing (and live performance), and (comparatively) Logic's strength is in mixing and mastering.

Lots of people need both. That's why ReWire exists.

- Logic and Pro Tools are much closer to direct competitors with respect to their feature-set, although traditionally Logic has stronger sequencing tools and Pro Tools has stronger waveform editing.

I'm not a Pro Tools guy (for various personal and professional reasons I don't like their software, I don't like their business practices, and I laugh when they advertise new features like "offline bounce" of being 64-bit as if it's a new thing), but their influence is undeniable.

- Audition, unlike other DAWs (and likely owing to its "Cool Edit Pro" roots), is much more a tool built for post-production sound than a music-centric DAW that happened to be flexible enough to be used for post sound (like what the old Soundtrack Pro tried to be). This is evident in its focus on destructive waveform editing - and it is freaking glorious at it. Frequency spectrum view rocks.

Seriously, being able to take an auto-healing brush and seamlessly erase a background cough or camera shutter from an audio track still blows my mind every time I do it.

- If you're new to using Logic Pro for post-sound, especially ADR, here are three features you absolutely have to try out:

1. Match EQ (does a great job of making your ADR sound like your location sound)
2. Quick-swipe comping (just set a loop and record multiple takes, then easily grab the best chunks from each take to make one clean comp)
3. Flex time (easily stretch or squeeze your audio to fit the video track without changing pitch or creating weird artifacts)

- Like NLEs, no DAW is perfect and it's a good idea for audio people to at least have a passing familiarity with multiple ones and know their relative strengths and advantages.

- I think Logic Pro X looks like a freaking steal at $200, especially considering what I used to pay for it (even after student discount).

*DISCLAIMER - I don't just have $200 laying around so I haven't yet upgraded to Logic Pro X (luckily I don't rely on any 32-bit plugins so I don't expect any showstopping issues, but I could be wrong). From what I've seen though, Logic 9 to X isn't at all like FCP 7 to X, it's more like Motion 4 to 5. The look of the program has been updated to be consistent with the rest of the pro apps, but the app functions like 90% the same with plenty of new features added in.

July 17, 2013 at 11:54AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

manfesto

+1 to everything you said

I've been using Logic 9 for about four years now and it's ridiculously powerful as a music-making tool. If you've ever thought of tinkering with some loops, soft synths and simple beats for your film work, give Logic a go. It's a very deep program though and after 4 years of admittedly light usage, I still feel like I've barely scratched the surface of what it's capable of.

Audition is great for wave form analysis and clean-up and I'd use the two in tandem. Import sound into Audition, clean it up, then slot it into Logic for arrangement and mixing. Audition also has a shit ton of downloadable sound effects on that would be great for film making btw.

LPX looks great - finally a contemporary UI and some new features without breaking any if the old (apart from 32-bit plugs)

Apple could pay people to download LPX and you'd still find people with the need to complain about it...

July 17, 2013 at 8:48PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

I agree on most points. I'm very disappointed with the massively sub-par audio/waveform editing on Logic X. I thought for sure that would be improved but it doesn't look like it. Logic 9 originally shipped with Soundtrack Pro and integrated/round-tripped nicely to compensate for this weakness. I'm kind of shocked the lack of functionality when STP was dropped was not addressed.

So its great that Logic X will now import FCPX projects. I've found Final Cut X surprisingly good, once I adjusted to a different paradigm of editing, except in the audio department. Sadly with Logic X I still find it lacking.

July 18, 2013 at 6:04PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Joel

Not to be a troll here but, I wish FCPX had the dev team that Logic had. Logic Pro X is not the end-all be-all but its very nice, very powerful and very professional. Unlike FCPX, just sayin'.

July 17, 2013 at 6:25PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Sean

I would like to elaborate and say that FCPX is a very nice tool but I feel it's not very well thought out when it came to features, tools and sometimes practicality with in the timeline.

July 17, 2013 at 6:34PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Sean

shame that us with logic 9 don't get any kind of discount - we still have to pay full price

July 18, 2013 at 11:11AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

After many years of using Logic Pro 8, I bought Logic 9 via the App Store 12 days ago!!!
I have contacted the Apple Support to ask for a free upgrade. But they refused. No "grace period", no "money back". -> Bad luck.

I am deeply disappointed!!!! :-(

July 19, 2013 at 10:14AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

MirkoH

Looks like another Garage Band... With some tools. Apple Putting the Final Cut touch on this.

July 19, 2013 at 3:10PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM