July 4, 2013

Magic Lantern RAW Now Recording 30FPS Continuously at 1080P

Magic_Lantern_logo-whiteBut you're going to need fast cards. The software hack that has seen many developments over the last few months, including the resurrection of the Canon 50D, a camera that didn't even shoot video until recently, is pushing even further. Now it's looking like 30fps continuous is definitely possible, which is great news for those looking to match broadcast footage, but it's going to take some special cards to do it. Check out the proof below.

Jojo in the Magic Lantern forum posted this picture showing continuous recording at 30fps with a Transcend 1000x 64 GB card on the Canon 5D Mark III:

If you're wondering how to tell, you can just take the number of frames (1590) and divide by the time recorded (00:53) which gives you 30fps. As far as card speed, that is seriously fast, but it's hit or miss whether you'll be able to get anything to keep up with those speeds, even with the fastest and most expensive cards. Right now I am using the Komputerbay 64GB 1000x cards, which are probably the fastest cards you're going to get on a budget. Those cards are actually rejects from other manufacturers, so it's not always clear whether you're going to get a speed demon or a dud. What is interesting about those cards is how much their prices have risen in the last month or two. At one point they were retailing under $100, and now they've hit as high as $130 recently.

So where do we go next with the hack? At the moment it's still pre-Alpha, but if you are hoping for a stable release, I think you're going to have to wait a while. There are so many variables to work out with the code, and so much more testing needs to be done. The 5D Mark III is still the king when it comes to getting the most resolution, as it uses CF cards, so the bottleneck becomes the speed of the card, not necessarily the speed of the controller -- which is the issue with the cameras that use SD cards. We have seen some advancements getting those cameras recording higher resolutions for longer periods, and that is where we are still seeing a lot of development and testing, trying to squeeze every last bit out of the lower-end cameras.

Not everyone will get to 30fps with their cards, but 24 and 25 is very realistic on many cards. If you want to check what's possible with your camera, the chart available here is current. To read more about the card compatibility on the Mark III, head on over to the Magic Lantern Forum.

What have you guys been able to do with your cameras? Feel free to share your experiences shooting RAW in the comments below.

Link: CF-Cards fast enough for 1920x1080p24/25 5D3 MLraw video -- Magic Lantern Forum

[via Magic Lantern Twitter]

I thought that 30fps and 24fps continuous was already possible at 1080? Please someone explain this to me haha I am confused. Thanks

July 4, 2013 at 6:27PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Omar A.

I haven't seen anyone showing results from 30fps continuous RAW, but people have been able to do it for a shorter number of frames.

July 4, 2013 at 6:35PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Joe Marine
Camera Department

This guy was doing 50fps in 4 second bursts on the MKIII. This feature is almost enough for me to chose the MKIII over Black Magic... Though I suppose BM could add higher frame rates in the future they don't seem to want to even indicate if they're even trying to do that or not... It seems to me that in regard to data rate a camera that can shoot 4K at 30P should be able to do 1080 at 3 or 4 times the frame rate without having any trouble with write speeds... But maybe there's some other problem...

July 4, 2013 at 7:43PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Angus

I have been able to do 30fps RAW with my 50D easy . . . at 720p, and if you're publishing for the web, it works out fine.

July 4, 2013 at 10:51PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Oscar M.

I've been experimenting with the RAW ML module on a 5Dmkii. 1600x900 shot in 5x crop mode upscaled to 1080p smacks the ^&*% out of the normal footage canon calls 1080p. In 5x crop mode line skipping / pixel binning are virtually gone. Additionally, the detail captured in low light / no light situations is completely kinda amazing at 3200 ISO considering the circumstances. I did a couple mini comparison videos on ML RAW shooting and if time permits I'll post more. Go to http://shotparade.com and watch them =)

July 8, 2013 at 4:25AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Dan

Next up: 60fps.

July 4, 2013 at 6:38PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Hunter Peterson

Doesn't the DSLR's memory controller deal with both the SD and CF slots? I think the SD bottleneck is due to the 5D MKIII's slot no being able to take advantage of UHS while the CF slot can take advantage of UDMA7...

July 4, 2013 at 6:43PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Yeah I'm just talking about the SD bottleneck of the other cameras. The Mark III can actually record sound to the SD card while recording video, so as long as you have fast CF cards there is plenty of room to work with.

July 4, 2013 at 7:02PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Joe Marine
Camera Department

I had heard it was best not to record sound at all and use the sync beep function in ML because recording sound bogged down the CF card. Does recording the sound to the SD card fix that?

July 4, 2013 at 7:35PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Angus

What is maximum recording time with 24fps 1920x1080 on the 5D Mark III ?

July 4, 2013 at 7:21PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

JeremySting

Continuous

July 4, 2013 at 7:53PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Edgar

The trancend is recording 30p? you bet your a** it has to. The writing speed is 120MB/s and the price is almost 200$. if the KB card is giving you a stable 95MB (sometimes more, sometimes less) then, why the other cards are struggling?

Still, there is something that is disturbing me. There is a 32G KB that claims to have the same speed as the 64GB. So I checked some reviews and I found a guy who said that the bench mark show him that the card writing speed is around 20 something MB/s. The variable speed is not a surprise, the same happens with the 128GB KB. But jumping down from 100 to 20 is depressing.

Maybe the golden age of the Mark III haven't come yet. as the newest CF card reach a limit of 155MB/s (that is what they said, nobody had test it) the 5D Mark III has a buffer of 700MB/s. Let see how time play his cards .

July 4, 2013 at 8:16PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Edgar

when will Magic Lantern release the RAW hack?

July 4, 2013 at 8:22PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Max

Anyone can get it right now, but there is an extra step to getting the RAW firmware, as it is a module you have to load in the firmware.

July 4, 2013 at 8:35PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Joe Marine
Camera Department

Great opening line!

July 4, 2013 at 8:30PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

maghoxfr

July 4, 2013 at 10:00PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Archie

How log for someone to make a a CF adapter to usb3 and use cheap SD disks in a external case?

July 4, 2013 at 8:50PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Leonardo

many people are working on this but they are struggling...it seems not easy even with all the right adapters you can check ML forums in the Hardware section you will find a few threads talking about SSD/CF adapter/USB3 solutions

July 5, 2013 at 11:47AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Fix

when will audio be added? That would be the most important feature!

July 5, 2013 at 4:13AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

"when will audio be added? That would be the most important feature!"
thats's right. you could always use an external device like a Zoom H4n.

July 5, 2013 at 7:06AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Richard

NIKON, NOW!

July 5, 2013 at 10:53AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Fudi

GH3 PLEASEEEEE :)

July 6, 2013 at 8:29AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Hi from Spain! One question I didn't find in the website... Is it possible to playback the RAW footage in the camera to check it? I own a Canon 5D Mark II.

Thank you a lot!

July 8, 2013 at 7:02AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

You can if its like mark III. It is in the ML raw video submenu. At the very bottom. I have an ML August build.

September 13, 2013 at 1:32AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Amir

There are apparently new Komputer Bay 1050x cards that can record over 20 minutes without a dropped frame at HD quality. (off horse's mouth, as it were)

July 9, 2013 at 3:11AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

DLD

I've been using the RAW hack on my 600D and its been totally stable using 1080x416 and SanDisk Extreme cards; even used it on a 'proper' job today where the final output will be just on the web. Seriously impressive work going on with ML, absolutely amazing!

July 11, 2013 at 5:50PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

David Vickers

Hello,

What are the workarounds for the Mark ii shooting RAW Continuous? Is there an SD to CF Card conversion?

July 11, 2013 at 6:14PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Danny

With all the talk of needing the fastest CF cards, has ML worked on sending the raw files to an external recorder via the HDMI? When Canon released the firmware update to record 4:2:2 files to an ext recorder I ordered the Black Magic HyperDeck Shuttle 2 (Only $327). Recording to an SSD would speed things up... or is that not the issue / not capable?

July 13, 2013 at 4:57PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

I had a wonderful time on set with the end of june builds.
We shot a short movie on ML RAW, and here you can see the trailer and tell me what you think :)

July 17, 2013 at 5:02AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Can't wait for faster cards. This is amazing,

July 21, 2013 at 6:27AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Justin

Dan, while I'm not wild about this pic either, I still feel its too early to tell copelmtely. I'm going to hold out hope until I see it in motion. So yes, first pic is pretty awful looking, but I'll reserve hope. I promise I'll start writing again soon. Haven't been up to it since losing my job.

March 16, 2014 at 9:28PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

i wonder why they havent accessed the c-fast cards to handle the speeds they need in the cards?c-fast is same or similar build to cf cards but much more faster??and much more x pensive.the new ninja star uses c fast for recording pro res and 4.2.2.maybe it can record raw?someone should look into this.

August 3, 2014 at 1:24PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM