July 18, 2013

Dog Schidt's Customizable Cine-Style Lens 'TRUMP' Might Be the Coolest Lens Ever Made

CropperCapture[7]It goes without saying; Dog Schidt lenses are pretty damn cool. For those of you who missed our post several months ago, Dog Schidt is a company that takes vintage Russian and German lenses and re-houses the original elements with various modifications to create the most unique effects lenses on the market. And they're in high demand these days. In fact, I'm convinced that I may never get off the Dog Schidt waiting list... My complaining aside, Dog Schidt has also been working on a Cine version of their now-famous FF58, called simply TRUMP. Hit the jump to see what makes this one of the coolest cine-style lenses ever made.

Here's the description of the TRUMP, straight from the fine folks at Dog Schidt Optiks:

The first ever cine prime ‘effects lens’ developed specifically for the discerning creative cinematographer. The FF58 TRUMP takes our overhyped, nightmarishly low-contrast original Flare Factory lens to the next level with a complete CNC machined rehousing, integrated focus gearing, integrated flare and contrast regulating hood system, and user interchangable aperture elements. -Allowing stylised, themed or custom branded bokeh effects.

Here's a quick video that shows the CNC machining of the TRUMP lens barrel.

Beyond the fact that Dog Schidt lenses now have all of the usability that we are accustomed to with other cinema-style lenses, there's one feature that makes the TRUMP stand above all other lenses: the one of a kind replaceable aperture elements.

Alongside the vast user-defineable optical characteristic options of the Flare Factory range, TRUMP brings another groundbreaking feature not found in any other professional product. The ability to quickly and easily change aperture elements in less than 1 minute opens up vast creative opportunities to both the cinematographer and still photographer alike.

TRUMP comes shipped with a wide selection of aperture elements. Some are subtle, like the classic mk1 ‘Superspeed’ style triangular aperture elements. Others are wild, like the intricate multi-spiked star and slotted aperture elements. When used tactfully, these non-typical background defocus distortions subtly impact on the overall aesthetic of a shot or scene, subliminally and indirectly fortifying the theme or subject being conveyed.

TRUMP FF58

So now you're likely thinking to yourself, "This lens seems legit, but what kind of images can it produce?" Here's a video from one of the Dog Schidt founders, Richard Gale, that shows what the TRUMP can do with the aforementioned spiked star aperture element. These images are straight from the camera with no post grading or overlays. The warm tone in the video came from bumping up the white balance.

Personally, I'm drooling over this lens. The fact that it combines everything we know and love about the original FF58 with professional cine features and the unique interchangeable aperture system makes the TRUMP the coolest 'cine effects' lens on the market today.

However, one of the biggest drawbacks to this system is the fact that it is a singular 58mm lens, not an entire set of cine lenses. While it might be extremely fun to shoot with the TRUMP, using it in the context of narrative production alongside other lenses might be problematic, considering that matching aesthetics from shot to shot and lens to lens would be nearly impossible. With that said, any time that a different or unique aesthetic is called for, the TRUMP might just become many DP's weapon of choice.

Dog Schidt is no longer taking orders through their Etsy page (probably because we flooded them with orders after the last time we posted about them). You can find out everything that you need to know about ordering a completely customized Dog Schidt lens through this PDF.

What do you guys think? Is the TRUMP lens poised to become the secret sauce for cinematographers looking to create a unique aesthetic? Let us know in the comments!

Link: Dog Schidt Optiks Flare Factory 58 - Pricing, options list and order form

I`m in for fun and all, but these guys are stretching it to faor with the naming by adding a turd and a dog while shitting onto, doesn`t seem very professional and makes me suspicious. Sorry, I thought Red was stupid by calling an EVF "Bomb" or making their crap compatible to weapon accessories.

July 18, 2013 at 3:21AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Mariano

go to the nearest pharmacy and ask for Laughlauvolan 1000 (sense of humour booster). Take as prescribed, preferably with a few beers.

July 18, 2013 at 11:58AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

I've seen a couple of these lenses already, and they produce an amazing look. So...definitely go take some humor booster. Who cares what they are called. Myself and my "Pro" friends, think these are great. Names aside.

July 18, 2013 at 3:01PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

JKL1687

How much do they cost??

July 18, 2013 at 3:29AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Aaron

Since they make these on an individual basis and with individual customer needs in mind, you've got to email them to get a quote.

However, considering that their FF58 lenses start under $200, I'd say that there's a decent chance that the TRUMP is very reasonably priced compared to other cinema glass.

July 18, 2013 at 3:37AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Rob Hardy
Founder of Filmmaker Freedom

The Trump is 800 I'm pretty sure. And it comes with a snazzy pelican case

July 18, 2013 at 3:11PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

john jeffries

The only lens with changable aperture? Don't forget the Lensbaby lenses that can do that with most of their optics

July 18, 2013 at 3:47AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Mick

Interesting design and dreamy looks aside (except the windmill bokeh for me personally, but I guess vintage lenses are artsy and distinctive that way), I can't image a worse name for a company, intentional or not. I'm not one to talk about immature jokes, but even that name made me take a second look and chuckle a bit. It's a shame that there will be an inevitability of jokes or unintentional statements towards this. How can one say "This lens is Dog Schidt" or "I got Dog Schidt on my camera" and make it sound like a good thing? I guess that's their hook even if it sets themselves up for crap. No pun intended.

July 18, 2013 at 3:51AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Marti

Good thing to scare off pretentious idiots without any trace of sense of humor whatsoever

July 18, 2013 at 10:25AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Natt

Cool name. Cool look. 1UP.

July 18, 2013 at 4:14AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

toni

Is this what Robert Plant is doing these days?

July 18, 2013 at 4:23AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Tulio

hahaha!

July 18, 2013 at 4:42AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

pask

Loooool!

July 18, 2013 at 8:33PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Kraig

Oh, and I want that logo etched on the lens barrel.

July 18, 2013 at 4:24AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Tulio

Wow.... I love the look it produces. I wish they had a full set! In the pdf it says it has apertures that can achieve an anamorphic look (1.5x or 2x)? That would be worth it alone, even though these are already a killer deal. I think I will buy one :)

July 18, 2013 at 4:36AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Miles

Vid Atlantic sell a lens filter which optically simulates the anamorphic looks beyond just the oval bokeh. I haven't use it but I have used there anamorphic clamps which are pretty well built.

July 19, 2013 at 2:54AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

PhinioxGlade

Wow... I love the look it produces. I wish they had a full set! In the pdf it says it has apertures that can achieve an anamorphic look (1.5x or 2x)? That would be worth it alone, even though these are already a killer deal. I think I will buy one :)

July 18, 2013 at 4:37AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Miles

I have to say it, I love their logo. Wish to see street light, night shots, and moon. Guess I have to put it on the list.

July 18, 2013 at 6:02AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Edgar

Who the f*** cares about their name or their logo? As long as they release quality products we can use they can be called whatever they like. Some people are just annoying.

July 18, 2013 at 8:44AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Harry

Yup, I agree

July 18, 2013 at 11:15AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

James

Not a fan of gimmicky bokeh highlights. A triangle or oval might be OK, but not intrcate patterns like a multi-spiked star. I find it way too distracting and even amaturish. Star burst highlights can be used successfully, generally when added in post at the best point in time and place. They can also occur naturally with a regular lens when shooting strong light sources, which looks far less gimmicky.

July 18, 2013 at 9:09AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Talking about full set of primes: they already have plans for making 35mm and 85mm lenses as well.

I'm myself waiting for my two FF58's to be delivered end of next week or the week after that :)

July 18, 2013 at 10:00AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

could it be possible sharing the price information with us, how much it is for both lenses? I got very interesting in this primes.

July 18, 2013 at 12:56PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Edgar

You can find the prices for the mount and different options you need for an FF58 here:

I bought the Iscorama-optimized Nikon mount FF58's.

As far as I know, there isn't any official word on the price for Trump yet.

July 18, 2013 at 6:25PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Personally, I think the current generation of budding indie-filmmakers should spend a bit more time worrying about story and form, rather than pointing their bl00dy cameras at the sun to get flare effects.

If 90% of uploads on Vimeo is anything to go by.

July 18, 2013 at 11:09AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Fresno Bob

Agreed! Whatever happened to substance before style?

July 18, 2013 at 12:53PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

terry_mickie

Lens choice is the DP's responsibility. His work is to make the shoot beautiful with the right tools. I thought that point were clear on this forum

July 18, 2013 at 1:10PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Edgar

Vaseline?

July 18, 2013 at 11:58AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

ronn

their logo is awesome

July 18, 2013 at 12:55PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

andy

"Gimmicky Krap" is another name that would suit them.

July 18, 2013 at 2:39PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

FabDex

The Soviets just copied the German designs post-WWII, adding the American and Swedish rip-offs along the way. From what Shane Hurlbut says on his site, classic Zeiss lenses do have a much softer quality than anything modern. They're used to film specific scenes that fit the emotional requirements of that moment.

July 18, 2013 at 2:48PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

DLD

Low-contrast garbage. They only sell because that aesthetic is hot right now because of instagram but in a few years these lenses will be worthless.

Also, I would never want to say "I have a dog shit lens" to somebody Im working with on a project

July 18, 2013 at 3:08PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

john jeffries

July 18, 2013 at 3:14PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Tim

I love potty humor.

July 18, 2013 at 3:17PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Brian

Looks like dog shit

July 18, 2013 at 7:10PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Bry

Okay, I am sold! However, I am really confused about the various options available. Are all Flare Factory 58 lenses TRUMPS? Also what is the difference between a normal one and a Iscorama? And how do I decide on the customisation options.. So many options and do not know what to pick. Is there a clear gallery somewhere?

July 18, 2013 at 11:14PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

No, TRUMPS have only been announced. And I understand you have to write the options you want your lens customized by in a note when sending the payment through PayPal (read the red text on page 3 here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/r1gea3lqpqte3ue/oVMPPZMjas/DSO_FF58_Ordering_%2BTRUMP58_Info.pdf)

As for the Iscorama optimization, I have no idea. Does anybody know what differences they have compared to the normal Flare Factory lenses?

July 18, 2013 at 11:54PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

They do have a ton of options available, and it can be a little overwhelming, so here's a quick breakdown:

They have two different offerings at this point, the FF58 and the FF58 TRUMP. The only real difference between the two is that the original FF58 is essentially a photo lens with a standard manual aperture, and the TRUMP is a cine-style lens with a de-clicked aperture and geared focus. There are some other features which set the TRUMP apart (like the interchangeable aperture elements), but the choice between the original FF58 and the TRUMP comes down to whether or not you want a photo or cine style lens.

With the original FF58 you have a plethora of customization options, starting with lens mount. You can either choose EF, Nikon, or Arri PL. Then you choose your aperture options. You can do circular, oval (for the anamorphic look), or triangular. Then your contrast options: either low contrast, really low contrast, or stupidly low contrast. You can also choose to tint the lens to produce a certain color (not really recommended because it's so easy to do in post). There are a few other options to dirty up the elements for the purpose of creating unique flares. The last thing you can choose is the finish on the outside of the lens.

Also, the Iscorama ones are optimized for use with a separate anamorphic lens. It's a total pain in the ass to operate and pull focus with two lenses, so I wouldn't really recommend it. Then again, the true anamorphic look is pretty great.

Hope this helps.

July 19, 2013 at 12:17AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Rob Hardy
Founder of Filmmaker Freedom

I'm curious as to what an improvement the Iscorama optimized lenses bring to the table as opposed to normal lenses. I'm into anamorphic (and I do hate the double focus as well) but what makes these other FF58 lenses special?

July 19, 2013 at 10:32AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Iscorama isn't dual focus. You set the prime on infinity and rack focus with the anamorphic like a normal lens.

July 20, 2013 at 8:50PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Andrew

Like any "alternative look," it all depends on how it is used artistically in the context of the storytelling. It has an interesting look that could work nicely if it adds something "appropriate" to a scene. However, it's such a specific look, I don't think that I would be interested in owning one. It is just too distinctive for many different applications. For those who purchase this lens, it will be very tempting to over use it because you have it. When that happens, this particular effect could become as cliche as star filters were in the 70's and 80's. There are already enough cliche styles like "shakey cam" and over use of smoke in inappropriate environments I don't mind the softness or low contrast look in a high contrast environment like the forest. But I'm not sure if it would always work in different lighting environments. The super soft contrast could possibly ruin subtle lighting in a day or night interior. I'm looking forward to seeing this lens effect used in an interesting way before it get used to death!

July 19, 2013 at 8:49PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

how can this be the coolest lens ever it ,russian copy of a german optic rehoused in shiny metal.
best ever come on leica noctilux,nikon noct,cooke speed panchro on and on.
nothing new old rehash.