September 27, 2013

Short Film Shows How Well the iPhone 5s Performs in Slow Motion

Streets of MilanoWhen the iPhone 5s came out, one of the first questions, at least I had, was, "How's the video?" Smartphones have been providing filmmakers a quick and easy outlet for making videos on the fly, but the tools at their disposal were pretty limited. But the iPhone 5s, with its new features, including the impressive 120fps setting, it's quickly becoming a great asset for filmmakers. Check out the slow motion short Streets of Milano to get an idea of what you can produce with the iPhone 5s.

With new camera upgrades, like a f/2.2 aperture, larger 1.5 micron pixels, and 33% improved low-light performance, the iPhone 5s is a pretty decent camera for quick and dirty filmmaking. The footage from Streets of Milano, by Flapp,a group of filmmakers, was shot handheld at 120 FPS 720p and then graded in post.

I've only edited iPhone footage on the iPhone 4 with an older version of FPC, so I don't know from experience how easy it is to transfer and edit data. However, according to an article posted by the Final Cut Pro resource site FCP, it's as easy as plugging your phone in, importing and optimizing your timeline for the media (which, if you're in a rush, is usually automatically detected.)

Check out Streets of Milano below and judge for yourself how the iPhone 5s performs:

In my opinion, this video convinced me that I should to go ahead and grab this phone (since I prefer the Apple interface.) And I think it's important to keep that in mind -- this is a phone. It's not a big sensor camera. The same device you'd use to check the time, play one of those addictive puzzle games, and call your mom can also be used to create some pretty impressive videos. Smartphones are perfect if you find yourself in need of filming something spontaneously, because you may not always have your DSLR camera with you, but you almost always have your phone on you -- and if there are options in terms of image capture, that makes it all the better.

What do you think of the footage taken from the iPhone 5s? What smartphone do you use to capture video? Let us know in the comments.

Links:

Damn that looks so good.

the old joke that one day we will be filming everything on our iphones is now not a joke - it's coming...sooner than later.

September 27, 2013 at 8:28PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

I was really impressed when I sat down to edit a couple of "snaps" into a video.
The latitude was actually amazing. I prefer this 720 mode to my t2i. Less moire etc... Please check out the video below.

vimeo.com/76352678

October 10, 2013 at 11:59AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Matteo

I'd prefer the 5S to not have that finger print scanner feature, but the internal specs and features are appealing.

September 27, 2013 at 8:33PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Isabelos Pascual

So don't use it. Why would you care?

September 29, 2013 at 4:40PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Travis

This would've looked good even without the slomo...impressive.

September 27, 2013 at 8:43PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Dave

Wow! That's really impressive...

September 27, 2013 at 8:53PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

The detail was just as good as most low end dslr's.

September 27, 2013 at 8:59PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Jeremy

Awesome. Shame on the big manufactures for holding back with higher frame-rates on much larger, and much more expensive cameras. Unbelievable.

September 27, 2013 at 9:51PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Voltaire

Like they owe you something?

September 28, 2013 at 10:39AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

billybob

Everything, actually. Consumer is always right.

September 28, 2013 at 8:31PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Natt

Very pretty piece and good writeup! Catchy tune too...
Did anyone else notice the flickering lights at :26, :33, :40, and :47? (:40 is easiest to see) Is it the type of bulb (i.e. fluorescent) that is causing it? I'm not getting that strobe effect in my footage.

September 27, 2013 at 9:52PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

It might be the standard frequency of the lights in that country (presumably Italy). I know that part of the reason the standard frame rate for video in PAL countries is 25 FPS has to do with street lights flickering under most other frame rates. If this video was conformed to 24 or 30 FPS, it's likely that that might be the issue.

September 27, 2013 at 10:21PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Mr Blah

Aha--that makes sense to me. Thanks for the answer.

September 27, 2013 at 11:13PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

European electricity is 50hz. In America its 60hz. I am pretty sure this is the reason.

September 28, 2013 at 7:04AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Buddy

Only if you film at 30fps...

October 3, 2013 at 4:50PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Augusto Alves d...

So will this finally force the big guys to give us not 60fps but 120fps in 1080p on DSLRs?

September 27, 2013 at 9:58PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Of course. To please our eyes. It seems to be color processed and cropped.

September 27, 2013 at 10:31PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Johnny Wu

Very impressive indeed...sucks I don't have an upgrade till next year...

September 27, 2013 at 10:59PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Brad Watts

wow! truly impressive and amazing. also which music is that on the background?

September 28, 2013 at 12:44AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Ayoola Opere

Phone cameras are getting better all the time. I recently shot an entire feature film on an IPhone 3GS and in the editing its already looking good. Will definately share some clips here at Nofiomschool!
One Love!

September 28, 2013 at 1:21AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Was not expecting it to look anywhere near that nice. We're fast hitting that point where the difference between a pro and an amateur setup is all in workflow, pipeline, ergonomics and spec, and not image quality. Genuinely a bit shocked.

September 28, 2013 at 1:22AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Here is a better one guys: http://vimeo.com/75285430

September 28, 2013 at 4:03AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

This is very pretty as well. Shocking that we're here. And C300 does only 720p60. Of course the sensor size and data transfer rates are very different, but still..

September 28, 2013 at 4:26AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Better ?

September 29, 2013 at 1:35PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

FabDex

Oversharpened edges, dull colors... no way it's a GREAT video, it's quite usable for web needs, nothing more (at least if this is the reachable output of iPhone 5S).

October 4, 2013 at 3:09AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Leonardo

I'm not that impressed by the video quality. It's usable, no doubt, but there's a lot of aliasing. And lots of NR applied. No fine details. Would be nice to see how the new Nokia compares in video quality.

September 28, 2013 at 6:57AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Martin

September 28, 2013 at 3:55PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Richard

Nice but the 120fps on the Gopro Black is much nicer looking.

September 28, 2013 at 7:37PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Not bad for web, processed through "vintage" hipstagram filters.

September 28, 2013 at 8:29PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Natt

its a million times easier to achieve HFR on these tiny sensors than S35+ sized sensors.

September 28, 2013 at 10:39PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

carlos

Not impressed. Of cause 120fps is a good thing, but image quality is poor. Many phones do that well already. Now why can't it shoot 1080p 60fps? I know, I know its a goddamn phone, but I'm sure there isn't much of a technical difficulties to achieve that.

September 30, 2013 at 5:35PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Andrew

Not that great, looks like overprocessed and colors are quite dull... aliasing pops out, surely it's not bad but nothing worth raving about. As someone said, much better from GoPro.

October 4, 2013 at 3:05AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Leonardo

nice effect at 120fps,and then what!!!!! A spate of fad slomo at iphone filmfest. Yes so its a phone that shoots video, but at inferior resolution. Easy enough to justify for fun convenient shooting.a tiny sensor and lowrez is allyoull get. im not sure where the mobile manufacturers are aiming, perhaps a pocket sized impractical 2k camera with phone

October 4, 2013 at 4:26PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

marc bodi

I just finished a documentary and part of the footage I filmed it with my iPhone 5S, the producers didn't bring all the footage I needed for editing, so went out and grabbed shots I felt were necessary to complete the doco.
Of course nobody noticed those shots were not done with a Red or a DSLR, since I graded them and played a lot with filters and soft focus. I did one or 2 shots with the 120fps and it was incredible.

I also film a lot of skateboarding with the phone and gives me the tricks in slo-mo instantly.
FVCK YEAH the iphone 5s is the best

November 30, 2013 at 1:27PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Cris Cazor

Excellent video! I just picked up the 5s. I was wondering, is there any device or technique used to keep the phone/camera steady?

December 23, 2013 at 12:54PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Hello there, I discovered your internet-site by using Search engines even as looking for a very similar matter, your site came upward, it seems great. I've book marked for you to the favourites features and functions|added onto book marks.

February 11, 2014 at 9:25AM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Hello to all, it's actually a pleasant for me to pay a quick visit this web page,
it consists of priceless Information.

March 9, 2014 at 4:06AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM